U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,680,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
The OP is obviously trying to tout Northern Virginia.

Northern Virginia, first of all, surrounds one of the whitest-collared cities in the U.S. which is Washington. Since Washington does not have it's own state to suck up the majority of its suburbs, it has to use Virginia and Maryland, which it has.

If anything has stifled New Jersey's suburbs, it has been taxes and tolls. Those are the only two things stopping me from living there.

You also need not compare anything to Northern Virginia, because, unlike NORMAL cities, Washington is government, and immune to any kind of unstable local economy. That metro will have a steady pump of development as long as the United States exists.

New Jersey, however, is susceptible to something as small as a plant closing in Camden, or a toll or tax increase, or the decline of Philadelphia's industry.

If you weren't from NoVa I would be shocked.
Well stated. There really is no comparison of NOVA and its relationship to jobs/govt-Wash, DC and the Philly-SJ area. If there are no jobs, people won't settle in South Jersey, commercial ventures won't build, etc.

That and the strict rules on building near/in the Pine Barrens. We live in the Pine Barrens and even attempting to build/add-on to existing property is a pain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM

608 posts, read 638,491 times
Camden NJ used to be home to about 20 corporations. 2 of them where the largest in their fields..Campbell Soup and RCA..

how have times changed.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM

12,273 posts, read 11,522,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Camden NJ used to be home to about 20 corporations. 2 of them where the largest in their fields..Campbell Soup and RCA..

how have times changed.
Yup, & Campbells moved the soup plant to Ohio. RCA no longer exists. Most businesses bailed out of Camden long ago.

Now it's more like Camden: home to Camden County government & a bunch of chop shops.

Campbells, does still have the corporate headuarters there. . .

Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM

876 posts, read 1,446,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yup, & Campbells moved the soup plant to Ohio. RCA no longer exists. Most businesses bailed out of Camden long ago.

Now it's more like Camden: home to Camden County government & a bunch of chop shops.

Campbells, does still have the corporate headuarters there. . .
RCA was in Moorestown, it became General Electric, then Martin Marietta and now it's Lockheed Martin.

Campbells has been hanging on for a long time. Respect them for that.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call Mercer County South Jersey, either.
No way. Trenton may historically have more a tie with Philadelphia than NYC, but that definitely is not the case now, seeing as the state capital is more geared towards northern NJ.

Mercer County is also quickly becoming a haven for former Monmouth County middle class residents who got forced out by Monmouth's increasingly upscale economic planning and developing, and unbearably high taxes.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
RCA was in Moorestown, it became General Electric, then Martin Marietta and now it's Lockheed Martin.

Campbells has been hanging on for a long time. Respect them for that.
RCA had a huge campus in Camden. There was a building with a tower near the Ben Franklin Bridge. There was a stained glass window of Little Nipper that they salvaged & I think it's in the Camden County Historical Society now.

My nephew works at the Moorestown facility now. His grandfather (my brother-in-law's father) worked at one of the Camden buildings.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,045,726 times
Quote:
RCA had a huge campus in Camden. There was a building with a tower near the Ben Franklin Bridge. There was a stained glass window of Little Nipper that they salvaged & I think it's in the Camden County Historical Society now.

My nephew works at the Moorestown facility now. His grandfather (my brother-in-law's father) worked at one of the Camden buildings.
RCA was indeed gigantic, and several buildings are still left. The "Little Nipper" building is still standing. It is now called, The Victor, and is a series of luxury apartments. Another building now houses the Camden Board of Education and another is under renovation to make more luxury apartments. Although it is nice that Cambells stayed in Camden, they would be of more use to the city if they still manufactured soup there. The problem with Camden is that most of the manufacturing jobs that were the life blood of the town left (such as the shipyards that closed during the JFK administer)

Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM

655 posts, read 1,158,577 times
What I've never understood are some of the areas in NJ just off of the Commodore Barry bridge. Logan Township, Woolwich Township, etc. Although these areas experienced some growth during the housing bubble, they still have a "middle of nowhere" feel. Heck, you can get to PHL airport in like 15 minutes, but there are still large farms all over. Good access to 295, turnpike, 95, etc. but still a relatively low density other than some small scattered mid 2000s McMansion developments. Most of the large tracts of land/farms seem to be owned by Italian vegetable farmers for some reason.

The areas that are of similar distance from Philadelphia in PA were built out like 25 years ago.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
RCA was indeed gigantic, and several buildings are still left. The "Little Nipper" building is still standing. It is now called, The Victor, and is a series of luxury apartments. Another building now houses the Camden Board of Education and another is under renovation to make more luxury apartments. Although it is nice that Cambells stayed in Camden, they would be of more use to the city if they still manufactured soup there. The problem with Camden is that most of the manufacturing jobs that were the life blood of the town left (such as the shipyards that closed during the JFK administer)
I remember them removing the Little Nipper windows, & replacing them with a modern logo. There was a huge stink put up by the general public & one Nipper window went back in. I also remember they imploded an RCA building. I thought that that was the one. I do remember that a Nipper window went to the Camden County Historical Society, though.

Nipper window to be on display at Camden County Historical Society | NJ.com

Ground Zero: Camden Fire Department Manages Building Implosion (http://www.9-1-1magazine.com/magazine/1998/0598/features/20louderback.html - broken link)

Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
What I've never understood are some of the areas in NJ just off of the Commodore Barry bridge. Logan Township, Woolwich Township, etc. Although these areas experienced some growth during the housing bubble, they still have a "middle of nowhere" feel. Heck, you can get to PHL airport in like 15 minutes, but there are still large farms all over. Good access to 295, turnpike, 95, etc. but still a relatively low density other than some small scattered mid 2000s McMansion developments. Most of the large tracts of land/farms seem to be owned by Italian vegetable farmers for some reason.

The areas that are of similar distance from Philadelphia in PA were built out like 25 years ago.
Well it's like I always said it feels like a different world to me as soon as you get into Gloucester County. I know Turnersville, Glassboro (Rowan) and have family in Deptford. It really starts to feel like the south once you clear Camden County. The Commodore Barry Bridge doesn't even go to Philly, that's Chester when you get down that far. Walt Whitman is the southernmost Philly bridge. Mullica Hill is starting to get some McMansion sprawl. My ex who was a student at Rowan used to baby sit for a Philly transplant family who settled there.

I think the Turnersville/Washington area is pretty established though, and is definitely more "white collar" than its neighbors like Glassboro and Deptford.

And it's funny you mention Italian vegetable farmers. I knew a girl in college who was Italian and grew up on a farm in Franklinville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia