U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-03-2010, 01:12 PM

646 posts, read 649,797 times
Collingswood continues with the restaurants. Instead of a Trader Joe's Starbucks, etc. We are getting yet ANOTHER Italian restaurant at Haddon and Collings at the doomed space with the 5 x 5 kitchen. Finally they are undercutting each other as Mom's Kitchen was forced to close. As a big fan of Alex Capasso's places, I'm sad tho say West Side Gravy looks like a bust. Constantly empty. El Sitio?? Save you pasos. I maintain: Collingswood still doesn't know what it wants to be "hip n trendy" or old world. The SALE/LEASE signs are rising and they are still pushing it as "where you want to be.." Well, after almost 5 years of a stalemate, we are likely moving to Philly in the Spring. Can't take the taxes while values decline. At least after dinner we can have a cocktail or walk to something instead of pack up the streets at 8:00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:40 PM

206 posts, read 275,641 times
I'm constantly surprised about what opens up on Haddon Ave and then not surprised when they've closed in 6 months or less. You can be sure some of the old stand by stores may go as well since you will have to feed the new meters for any amount of time. I know I'll go to the hardware store in Westmont if I'm driving rather than jerk around with a meter situation in order to pick up a $2 item. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be out of here due to the taxes but then again, I probably won't have moved here in the first place. Good luck. I've got another 11 1/2 years to go unless we go with private high school.

Unread 09-04-2010, 06:30 AM

Well, the kiosk meters are actually a good idea. They open up more spaces since you don't have to be in the "boundries" of indiviual meters. Tax money well spent. Just give me more reasons to park on Haddon avenue to use them. Everything in Collingswood is closeing.
They just opened a pilates/yoga place DOWN THE BLOCK from Yogawood? If you don't bring in established retail to anchor smaller stores, you will get a mish-mosh of nothings. I don't understand how they aren't thinking "outside the box" when the obvious is staring you in the face. No alcohol + no retail + no reason for people to hang around / shop = no CUSTOMERS. The only thing the parking lot makes easy is for young people ( you know...the potential FUTURE of your town's economy??) to jump on the PATCO and go to Philly.

Unread 09-04-2010, 07:10 AM

206 posts, read 275,641 times
I don't have a problem with the kiosk meters per se except no more free 15 minutes parking plus from what I heard - minimum fee of 50 cents. I'm not willing to spend 50 cents to pick up something at the hardware store or my take out food.

Unread 09-06-2010, 07:41 PM

28 posts, read 37,205 times
Holy cow, ANOTHER italian restaurant? How clever. How about a burrito shop (a la El Fuego in Philly) or a barbecue joint or a falafel place.. or a -- gasp -- belgian beer/burger place.

Meanwhile, went to Newton Lake Park this past weekend and spent half the morning picking up broken beer bottles so my 16 month old could play in the playground without slicing a limb off. Can't get a drink on Haddon Ave though. Sweet irony!

Unread 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM

17,390 posts, read 5,583,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal paradise View Post
Seriously, so much potential in that town, but this retarded antiquated law is holding them back. Had some friends in town this weekend, and we went to Tortilla Press for dinner. They had never been to Collingswood before and are maybe looking to relocate and open a restaurant. Finished up a great dinner by 8:30 and the friends said, "This is such a cute town. Let's go get a drink." To which, we replied, "Can't do that here. We'll have to go home or to another town for that." We ended up walking down Haddon to Westmont and passed a number of empty restaurants. At 8:30. On a Friday. On a beautiful night. The friends were a bit turned off by the lack of foot traffic and empty restaurants. It's so obvious that a nice Pub or wine bar would do for that town. Why can't they seem to figure that out?
The Tortilla Press is one of our favorite places to go. They make a great Margarita, just bring your own Tequila! In fact, they have catered several parties for us.

I prefer BYOB because you don't pay $5 for a beer or $11 dollars for a glass of wine. We often hang out there for 3-4 hours with 4 other couples and have never had a problem with BYOB. We bring top shelf Tequila, beer and wine and we have an all out great time.

I hope it never changes.

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM

28 posts, read 37,205 times
alphamale, we love Tortilla Press too, and always bring our own wine or tequila. I actually prefer BYOB places for dinner too. However, the problem is that before, or after dinner on a weekend, there's no place to go "for a drink;" i.e, no reason to walk up to Haddon Ave early or stay past 8:30 PM. That's bad. Just take a walk down Haddon at 8:45 on a weekend night... stores are closed, restaurants are empty, there's zero foot traffic. We don't need 25 bars, but a nice pub with would go a long way to keep people in town longer and spending more money. Not to mention, the community aspect that a neighborhood pub promotes. And hey, how about some live music in that Pub? A town that promotes itself as "the place to be" should maybe make an effort to make that saying a reality rather than wishful thinking.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM

13,556 posts, read 13,336,295 times
I just thought of an interesting solution. It's a little outside the box, but might work. Anyone want to go in on a business venture, lol?

Since the rules require that alcohol not be SOLD by the establishment, the solution is BYOB in the restraunts. What about a BYOB pub? I could see this working a couple ways.

Provide a full on pub/bar atmosphere but make it BYOB. Charge a bottle service for bringing in your own beer/wine and then charge per the drink for non-alcoholic mixers that you can add the booze to. Food would have to be part of it as well, but it would be regular pub fair.

The other solution is a "private" club. Allow people to buy a membership to the pub and that then entitles them to "purchase" drinks from the club. The drink prices could be adjusted so that the cost per is comparable to a place that doesn't have a membership. Additionally members could also purchase carry out to take to the restraunts.

Both models could be made so that they run in the same establishment with different areas for "members" and "non-members".

I have no idea if it could work, but establishments like the VFW and American Legion get around the dry town issue because they are private clubs. I've actually had a few drinks at the American Legion in Collingswood, you just have to be a member or be the guest of a member.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Funny. I've always thought of that, too! I know that some "full monty" strip clubs use that model and it is a great way to skirt the law. As far as the BYOB goes, remember, SOME establishments have been penalized for bringing anything other than beer or wine. That includes tequlia which, technically, you are not allowed to bring as the law reads. The BYO's do little for the overall economy of the town. The strange law of no established retail in favor of local chains is worse. Salad Works and Wawa are the only ones you know as they are 'local'. Whats the point?
I would like to open a biz that prints FOR SALE and LEASE signs! I would make a killing in Collingswood!

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 09-07-2010 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Unread 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM

13,556 posts, read 13,336,295 times
Well, just refine it to a beer/wine club. Memberships could be dirt cheap as long as they meet the criteria of "membership". Not really sure how it could work, but I know there is exception for private clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia