Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,620 times

Advertisements

Couple in mid-30's with no kids contemplating a job relocation from Fort Worth, TX to Moorestown, NJ. Enjoy more urban that rural, socializing, nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc. but also don't want a long commute to work (would prefer 25 minutes or less). At least initially, planning to rent and not buy and want to maximize income with respect to cost of living but still be in a nice/safe area. Rental budget could be up to $1,400 per month plus bills... Coming from TX, I have no knowledge of the area. I've done some searching already but I was hoping to get some help pinpointing a few cities that fit the description above. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:14 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingtx View Post
Couple in mid-30's with no kids contemplating a job relocation from Fort Worth, TX to Moorestown, NJ. Enjoy more urban that rural, socializing, nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc. but also don't want a long commute to work (would prefer 25 minutes or less). At least initially, planning to rent and not buy and want to maximize income with respect to cost of living but still be in a nice/safe area. Rental budget could be up to $1,400 per month plus bills... Coming from TX, I have no knowledge of the area. I've done some searching already but I was hoping to get some help pinpointing a few cities that fit the description above. THANKS!
LM transfer?

I did the opposite jump. Moorestown to FW then back.

NJ is much different than Texas. First thing is you need to stop thinking of "subdivisions" for each neighborhood cause things aren't designed that way up here. (there are subdivisions but not a ton and rarely have HOA)
Here things are broken up into townships. housing areas are spread over the town so you may be in a different section/division of a neighborhood but you would never know it driving through/around it.

Moorestown is $$$$$... So first thing you want to do is look around Moorestown. Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill, etc... If you want to have easy access to Philly then you should take that in consideration in your move. (PATCO train is easy nice access into city)

I have many friends who commute from Collingswood/Haddon Twp to the Moorestown area. Perfect blend of city, access to Philly, and work commute. (Usually 25-30 but surely not a horrific commute)

I even have many friends who live in Philly and work in Moorestown but that will run up your costs rather quickly. (bridge tolls, city wage tax, etc...)

Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM

thanks for the info. If you wanted to live in a township which was as similar as possible to the DFW area just relative to activities, restaurants, nightlife, socializing etc. is there two or three specific areas that you could recommend. I've done some research on the areas that you mentioned but without a visual they all seem to be running together. Also, given that housing is such a difference in the cost of living, if you found comparable rent to what you had in TX, would that lessen the burden on the difference? Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Look into Collingswood, Riverton, Delran. Its gonna take more $$ more likely and way more for Moorestown. Stay away from Philly. Its trashy and city wage and car insurance will kill ya. Move anywhere in the areas i told ya and you can drive into Philly(10-15 mins) for any sort night life you desire.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Look into Collingswood, Riverton, Delran. Its gonna take more $$ more likely and way more for Moorestown. Stay away from Philly. Its trashy and city wage and car insurance will kill ya. Move anywhere in the areas i told ya and you can drive into Philly(10-15 mins) for any sort night life you desire.
They might find something to do in Cherry Hill, too.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM

21 posts, read 47,325 times
I would suggest a nice town along the PATCO line, Collingswood, Westmont, Cherry Hill, for easy access to Philly. Personally being within walking distance from the PATCO lets me have the best of both worlds, quaint suburban town and big city life. My husband and I are in our 20s and kidless and we use the PATCO a lot for late night hangouts into Philly. My husband especially loves it since he doesn't have to be the designated driver anymore thanks to the PATCO

Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingtx View Post
thanks for the info. If you wanted to live in a township which was as similar as possible to the DFW area just relative to activities, restaurants, nightlife, socializing etc. is there two or three specific areas that you could recommend. I've done some research on the areas that you mentioned but without a visual they all seem to be running together. Also, given that housing is such a difference in the cost of living, if you found comparable rent to what you had in TX, would that lessen the burden on the difference? Thanks again.

DFW area is pure suburban sprawl. It is tough to do a comparison to be honest. Just know things here are much closer to each other. Fewer large highways, Slower speed limits, etc... Best comparison is driving around downtown Fort Worth area and going through Bedford, North Richland Hills, etc... Things blur here much more.

What towns/areas do you like in DFW? Greenville? Sundance Square? Southlake Town Square? Need to know what you like/used to and I can slightly try to match that here. If you want easy access to "social" life then Collingswood is going to be your safest/cheapest option. It is a fairly small town, has a main street with restaurants, no bars since a dry town but many BYOB options. There are VERY few apartment complexs out here as well. There are a few (Bishop View of Rt. 70) but odds are you best bet for a rental is Craigslist or realtor which will be a duplex or a house. In Collingswood depending where you land you can walk to to the main street (they have a farmers market every Saturday Morning) and you can walk to the PATCO train. For $5 or so roundtrip each you can take that into Philadelphia. That will take you to most of the desireable spots over there. (Rittenhouse square, old City, Washington Square West) Those areas will give you basically any nightlife options you can think of.

Now if you start heading a tad East (closer to work) Westmont/Haddon Twp (same area) you will shave 1-5 minutes off commute and have bars. The main street here is still in trainsition though (and odds are will be for years) Better schools, I would say very comparable houses with the only nicer aspect is less duplexs. Still in some parts walkable to Collingswood main street. Has the Westmont PATCO stop for Philly. Good option and close to everything but odds are will be a tad more costly but maybe not.

A tad more East is Haddonfield. This is probably comparable to an old style Uptown. Small town with high end stores. Very clean and safe. Very rich area. Best schools in area. Cute little town with some nice places to eat. Also a BYOB town. Also has PATCO stop. Slightly closer to Moorestown for commuting. (depending on which section)

Those three towns are my suggestion. I know Camden County. These are all in Camden County. You also have Burlington County (which is where Moorestown is, Delran, Riverton) but I am not as well versed in that area and the little I know about it I still prefer Camden County. (Mainly due to Patco) I will let others detail out those areas.

The problem with all the towns I suggested is $1400 may/may not get you want you are looking for rent wise. I used to rent a house (2bd 1bath) in Westmont for $1450 a month. Small place overall but private house/yard. Walkable to Patco and Cooper River Park. Perfect for just 2 people but still tight on space if you ever have guests in town, etc...

Haddonfield $1400 will probably get you much less. I would think $1400 in Collingswood will get you a tad more. I would expect you to keep your expectations low coming from Texas in terms of what your rent gets you.
DFW has tons of apartment complexs that offer new places for $1200 for 1000+ sqft. Not the case here. Bishop View is Cherry Hill is PRICEY yet would probably look and feel the most (at home) to you.

Really look into craigslist for rentals. There is a house in my area 3bd/2b that just went up for rent and asking 2100. (over priced if you ask me)
Probably fair at 1800. Now I am in Haddonfield so people with kids woudl be willing to pay that premium. But it is a cute nice little rancher.
Also well above your budget.

Just keep in mind areas. All the towns I listed blend together at points. Each offer +/- with their location. Some are close to PATCO and hence noiser. Some are closer to stores and hence have lots of people parking on the street there. Some are more secluded and hence further away from things. Driving around will help. Here is where I would plan in terms of learning the area.

Drive to corner of KingsHighway and Haddon Ave. (Starbucks on corner)
This is Haddonfield main street. Walk up 2-3 block and back to see the stores/area. (Walk towards PATCO station along Kingswhighway) which I think is West.

Then drive up Haddon Ave towards Collingwood. (North). You will see more places to eat, along with residental and such. Once you get to PJ's bar you just crossed into Haddon Twp/Westmont. You will also be driving right along PATCO to your left. Keep driving slow and look around. You will then drive through downtown Westmont. (few shopping centers but not really developed) You will hit Cuthbert Ave (Wawa on corner) Once you cross this you are basically crossing into Collingswood. Keep driving and you will see it slowly turn into a main street area. Park at PATCO stop (W Stiles Ave) area and walk along Haddon Ave down to Harvard Ave. This will get you idea of its downtown. Point to consider if you keep going down Haddon Ave past Harvard (another mile+ you start to get into some shady areas and eventually very shady areas) Collingswood is safe but ideally you focus on something not much further than Harvard Ave. Few blocks is fine past it but it starts to go downhill especially once you cross Rt 130)

Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
It really depends on how close you want to be to shopping/restaurants/nightlife. Do you prefer a walkable town or a more suburban driving town?

There are a couple very nice apartment complexes in Mount Laurel that are only 5min away from Lockheed Martin. Mount Laurel Crossing is the best/newest in the area but a decent 1br will probably cost you 12-1300/month. Summit/Stirling Court Apartments would be my 2nd choice for the area and are slightly cheaper. You could probably get a 2br for $12-1300/month.

The Mount Laurel area has a ton of shopping and restaurants within easy driving distance; however, there isn't much nightlife. You would have to venture to Cherry Hill - Westmont - or Philly for that (still not that far away).

The one drawback is you would have to drive everywhere; however, the commute to Lockheed can't be beat.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the information... This has been very helpful. A few more questions:

How far is the commute to LM from each of the following townships (I realize it my depend on where you live but ballpark please):

Collingswood to LM?
Westmont to LM?
Cherry Hill to LM?
Mt. Laurel to LM?

THANKS again!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
cherry hill and mount laurel is close to LM. (20 mins tops) Collingswood and westmont is further. Maybe 30 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia