U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 8,509 times
Default Contemplating a Move

We are currently contemplating a move to South Jersey/Philadelphia area. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Important considerations include:
-Location: would need to be within commuting distance to both Fort Dix, NJ and Philadelphia, PA general areas. ("commuting distance" can be a matter of personal opinion, but current commutes are approx. 1 hour in each direction.. would prefer a shorter commute, but could live with what we have now)
-Location II: we currently live in a rural area with some suburban characteristics. We would like to have some property. In the area we are in now, we were looking for an acre plus just to give an idea of our "ideal". So, the more we could get in that area the better. We dont want to truly be "in the middle of nowhere", but appreciate not being so close to our neighbors that we could reach out our window and touch their house.
-Schools: we currently have one child who is in preschool at this time. So we will be looking for preschools/daycares at this point, but in the not so distant future the public schools will be very important to us on a personal level.

I honestly am not very familiar with the area and am not sure if what we are looking for is "do able", or for what price We do plan to go check out the area ourselves but just looking for an idea of what areas we might want to look in and what we might expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 PM

12,846 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near&Far View Post
We are currently contemplating a move to South Jersey/Philadelphia area. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Important considerations include:
-Location: would need to be within commuting distance to both Fort Dix, NJ and Philadelphia, PA general areas. ("commuting distance" can be a matter of personal opinion, but current commutes are approx. 1 hour in each direction.. would prefer a shorter commute, but could live with what we have now)
-Location II: we currently live in a rural area with some suburban characteristics. We would like to have some property. In the area we are in now, we were looking for an acre plus just to give an idea of our "ideal". So, the more we could get in that area the better. We dont want to truly be "in the middle of nowhere", but appreciate not being so close to our neighbors that we could reach out our window and touch their house.
-Schools: we currently have one child who is in preschool at this time. So we will be looking for preschools/daycares at this point, but in the not so distant future the public schools will be very important to us on a personal level.

I honestly am not very familiar with the area and am not sure if what we are looking for is "do able", or for what price We do plan to go check out the area ourselves but just looking for an idea of what areas we might want to look in and what we might expect.
Where in Philly? That will effect the commute time more than anything else.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:51 AM

Good question... I'm not really sure specifically where. My husband's job is the one that we would basically be relocating for, however in doing some preliminary searches online for myself I have found a couple of positions I could apply for in the Philadelphia "area" or Camden "area".

Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 AM

7,789 posts, read 9,965,522 times
you want rural? You will have to look at burlington county for that. Look in Mansfield township and that area..

Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 AM

12,846 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near&Far View Post
Good question... I'm not really sure specifically where. My husband's job is the one that we would basically be relocating for, however in doing some preliminary searches online for myself I have found a couple of positions I could apply for in the Philadelphia "area" or Camden "area".
I worked at various locations in Philly over the years. That will effect how close you have to be for the 1 hour mark. We can't give you a commute time location on that end with no location.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM

13,569 posts, read 16,431,255 times
Budget also plays a big factor here. If you are looking for an acre or more in NJ, you are generally talking money. Add in a good school system and look out. Burlington County will be your best bet, but I would need to know budget before recommending a community. Some towns like Mansfield Twp. and the "amptons" come to mind as options. Particularly Southampton and Eastampton. Shamong Twp. and Tabernacle are other candidates. All of those are more rural and have good schools, but they are also pricey and not exactly a peach of a commute to Philly.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the responses. We currently do live in jersey, just way up north - sussex county. I was born and raised in northern jersey, but a much more typically suburban area. My husband has lived in sussex cty his whole life. There are many things that we both really like about this area if anybody is familiar.

As far as location, we would definetly need to be within commutting distance to fort dix. Since I'm not sure specifically where on the philly side I'll say center city for now just to give me a frame of reference as I am vaguely familiar with that area in PA as well.

As far as price, we would be looking in the ballpark of 300 - 375,000.

Edited to add: I don't think we will be able to get as much property as we might ideally like, but the more the better

Last edited by Near&Far; 08-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM

13,569 posts, read 16,431,255 times
I think your best bet is going to still be Burlington County. Things are a bit more spread out and as long as you stay along the 295 corridor you can get easy access to Ft. Dix while maintaining a decent commute to Philly. I would personally avoid Evesham Twp./Marlton and Medford area in your hunt as they are a bear to commute to Philly from. I would look along the 38 corridor from where it meets 295 going east. That will give you Mt. Laurel, Hainesport, Lumberton Westampton and Eastampton as decent choices. Going west of that junction and you are looking at Moorestown which is out of the budget and much more crowded areas like Cherry Hill and Cinnaminson. Going north along 295 you will run into Mansfield Twp. which would probably be a nice fit for you. It would be a little far for Philly, but closer to the base. If you ended up working in the Northern Philly burbs though it would be a great location.

At the end of the day, the person going to Philly is going to have the worst of the commute. For your husbands side of it, as long as he has access to 295 and in particular where it meets route 70 and north from there, he will have a pretty trouble free, though still long commute.

The wildcard I would throw out there would be the Swedesboro area. One of my neighbors actually works at Ft. Dix. It's generally more affordable than the other areas, has great schools and is definitely "rural" leaning. The person going to Philly might actually have an easier job than if coming from somewhere like Mansfield, but the Ft. Dix commuter would have a long drive on the Turnpike daily from exit 2 to 7 which drops them off near the base. I wouldn't say it's an ideal commute situation, but my neighbor does it every day without complaint.

I'm really just throwing things out there trying to balance cost, schools, commute and space. It sounds like you are willing to sacrifice on commute first and space second, so the areas I suggested would be good places to start.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think your best bet is going to still be Burlington County. Things are a bit more spread out and as long as you stay along the 295 corridor you can get easy access to Ft. Dix while maintaining a decent commute to Philly. I would personally avoid Evesham Twp./Marlton and Medford area in your hunt as they are a bear to commute to Philly from. I would look along the 38 corridor from where it meets 295 going east. That will give you Mt. Laurel, Hainesport, Lumberton Westampton and Eastampton as decent choices. Going west of that junction and you are looking at Moorestown which is out of the budget and much more crowded areas like Cherry Hill and Cinnaminson. Going north along 295 you will run into Mansfield Twp. which would probably be a nice fit for you. It would be a little far for Philly, but closer to the base. If you ended up working in the Northern Philly burbs though it would be a great location.

At the end of the day, the person going to Philly is going to have the worst of the commute. For your husbands side of it, as long as he has access to 295 and in particular where it meets route 70 and north from there, he will have a pretty trouble free, though still long commute.

The wildcard I would throw out there would be the Swedesboro area. One of my neighbors actually works at Ft. Dix. It's generally more affordable than the other areas, has great schools and is definitely "rural" leaning. The person going to Philly might actually have an easier job than if coming from somewhere like Mansfield, but the Ft. Dix commuter would have a long drive on the Turnpike daily from exit 2 to 7 which drops them off near the base. I wouldn't say it's an ideal commute situation, but my neighbor does it every day without complaint.

I'm really just throwing things out there trying to balance cost, schools, commute and space. It sounds like you are willing to sacrifice on commute first and space second, so the areas I suggested would be good places to start.
Thanks for all the info, very helpful!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM

I know Westampton and Eastampton were mentioned, anyone have any opinions on Southampton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia