U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM

423 posts, read 1,841,476 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on the quality of life in the towns of browns mills/pemberton? I read a negative post on these towns a few months ago but i would rather have a few opinions on the area. The homes there are priced very nicely and thats why i was interested. Is there high crime? Other considerations? If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 PM

200 posts, read 945,314 times
The high school is not very good. The towns around it are nice. I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years, 10 of it in the town 1 over from Browns Mills. I never heard of a lot of crime, but i would never consider moving there.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:23 PM

204 posts, read 727,271 times
Browns Mills is, in my opinion, a very depressed area. Usually areas immediately surrounding military bases are. Lots of trailer parks and dilapidated homes.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:11 AM

19 posts, read 100,273 times
I grew up in Browns Mills and went to Pemberton schools until 7th grade.

The above posters are pretty much on the mark. It is a depressed area. As a kid, I didn't find it a problem growing up there, but I am definitely glad I got out of the school system before attending junior high and HS.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM

15,447 posts, read 24,395,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
Does anyone have any info on the quality of life in the towns of browns mills/pemberton? I read a negative post on these towns a few months ago but i would rather have a few opinions on the area. The homes there are priced very nicely and thats why i was interested. Is there high crime? Other considerations? If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.

I live in Browns Mills, have for 14 years. I started out in Presidential Lakes and am now in Country lakes. It's a decent town, the taxes are great, as are the prices of the houses. I like how quiet it is. I'm originally from Union County...

My son went through the high school, graduated in 2003, he never had problems. My daughter is going into 9th grade; she's been accepted to the vo-tech. The schools have been good so far. A lot changed in the 8 years since my son was in grade school. We've always had all day kindergarten, there is also a 3 & 4 year old program. Kids are bussed down here unlike my North Jersey town. As to the school system, you get what you put in just like every school IMO. My sisters & I all went to the same schools, yet I did not get the same thing from school as they did. They had A's & B's while I had C's and could have benefitted from help, which wasn't available back then.

The schools received a lot of grant money which my daughter was lucky enough to benefit from, when she went to Denbo (http://www.pemberton.k12.nj.us/denbo/default.htm - broken link) (K-5) they bought new computers, laptops & digital cameras. They had a garden club, the main teacher was wonderful; I can't say enough about that experience.

The school web sites are decent, much better for a parent then other schools I've seen. I just checked the Denbo (http://www.pemberton.k12.nj.us/denbo/default.htm - broken link) web site, looks like they added a lot more information. You can see the link for "Star W" which brings up the newsletters the kids learn to do. That was a result of the computer purchase.

If you email the main webmaster for the main school site, he does a very good job responding and listening to parents about what we need from the web site. I asked if there was a lunch menu online, he said no, but soon added it. My daughter never remembered to bring it home.

My kids are both on different learning levels, my daughter needs more help. I've found that the child study teams have been wonderful, and a lot of the teachers now work with teacher web a home work help web site. They will post homework on the site.

The crime in Country Lakes isn't bad, nor is PL from what I read. I wouldn't live in town because the condition of the houses are pretty bad. There's a big difference in the 3 sections of town. Every town has good points and bad, so far I haven't experienced any bad other then some house conditions living here. I've been in Country lakes since 2000 and live on the main street.

I love the fact that we have well water with city sewer. In Presidential lakes, I had septic & well. The trash bill isn't bad, the new one just came it's $108 broken up bi-annual with 4 payments per year. The trash men take everything (for the most part) with the town picking up appliances. The trash bill is figured by weight, so the more recycling the town does, the less the bill will be. We recycle cans & plastic (1&2) plus all paper. I keep a brown shopping bag close to the kitchen and fill it with everything from newspaper, cardboard boxes, school papers and junk mail, plus things like cereal boxes. They do not take anything that has a plastic window unless you rip the window out.

The old town center is supposed to be getting a face lift with new stores coming in. I don't know where that stands. We were supposed to get a Dunkin Donuts there. We've had (since I've lived here) a new Acme, Radio Shack, True Value, Fashion Bug, Chinese Buffet, a shoe store; McDonalds, Burger King; Ritas Water Ice, Bank Of America (along with 2 local banks) - Dairy Queen (old acme) plus various pizza places, chinese take out, Mexican food and a diner plus 2 funeral homes. We have a local Comcast office, with great service and 3 gas stations plus a few car repair shops.

I'm not sorry for moving down here 14 years ago and would move down here again. I've actually seen people I went to school with living here; which surprised me. It's beautiful down here with all of the lakes and no traffic. If I want to shop I can get there in 30 minutes -Brick area; Manahawkin; Burlington & Medford. If I want to travel farther, I can go to Moorestown (40 minutes) or Cherry Hill. The closest BJ's is in Toms River, takes me 35 minutes to get there; Costco and another BJ's are a little farther, going towards Moorestown.

We currently have our house for sale, we could use a larger house and would like to go closer to my husband & son's jobs. Both have to wake up really early (DH between 2:30 and 4:30am - son anywhere from 4:30 to 5am) and drive over an hour, hubby is closer to 2+ commute) I've started looking at houses in other towns (30 mins from here) and have been pretty discouraged. Our house which is under $250 is much better then houses I've seen up to $380.

If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.

Last edited by Roselvr; 07-04-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM

15,447 posts, read 24,395,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The crime in Country Lakes isn't bad, nor is PL from what I read. I wouldn't live in town because the condition of the houses are pretty bad. There's a big difference in the 3 sections of town. Every town has good points and bad, so far I haven't experienced any bad other then some house conditions living here. I've been in Country lakes since 2000 and live on the main street.
Let me elaborate on the houses. On the main drag (Lakehurst Rd) there are some houses that are pretty bad looking. Not every house is bad, and there are more decent looking ones then bad. Not all streets have bad looking houses either. In Country Lakes, there is (to my knowledge) 1 house that is empty but is not run down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
Browns Mills is, in my opinion, a very depressed area. Usually areas immediately surrounding military bases are. Lots of trailer parks and dilapidated homes.
I have to disagree with you here. IMO Wrightstown is a very depressed area since 911. When the base was closed off, a lot of businesses suffered. Browns Mills, which is what I consider over by the Acme, is no where near what Wrightstown is.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 21,012 times
Default Pemberton Twp. Schools

[quote=Roselvr;1002744]<I live in Browns Mills, have for 14 years. I started out in Presidential Lakes and am now in Country lakes. It's a decent town, the taxes are great, as are the prices of the houses. I like how quiet it is. I'm originally from Union County...>
Hey, I'm really glad I'm not th only one who loves Browns Mills. I've been here for 8 years. It was my first house purchase and I hope I never have to leave. I'm 4th house from Mirror Lake, which is beautiful, good for swimming at th beach, special events (like Friday free movie nite, Water Carnival Aug4, etc.) and boating (I prefer Canoe and Kayak). The lake is great for seasonal photo shoots w/th kids, grands. I love my neighbors and enjoy walking about our triangle block just to wave, say hi or stop for coffee when I have time.

<I asked if there was a lunch menu online, he said no, but soon added it. My daughter never remembered to bring it home. >
This is th part I have to give grief for. I'm sure she didn't forget to bring them. They usually go in th trash. School food, regulated by th government, is pathetic junk food. I would NEVER make my child eat a school lunch, or breakfast. We lived in Pemberton when my daughter was small and I didn't realize how bad it was. Now, I know why she is so unhealthy.
After we moved to Browns Mills, I had a son. Rejoining th workforce was difficult for me. So, I started out by substituting at th local bus garage. In between bus runs I sub'd in th cafeterias. OMG! What an experience. I couldn't imagine giving my child that food or eating it myself. I was horrified at th level of grease and lack of nutrition considered for people who are developing into our future. Th FDA approves of obesity, cancer, heart disease and stroke. They do not practice what they preach. My son takes a wonderful, healthy and delicious meal (and snacks) every day. His friends are often begging for nibbles. But, they are not allowed to share (Thank goodness).

Old 08-04-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,872 times
Default Browns Mills

I was reading all of the different statements made regarding Browns Mills and felt it necessary to reply, something I normally do not do. I have lived in Browns Mills all of my life. When I was a kid growing up I did say that I couldn't wait to leave Browns Mills simply because it was too quiet and there was really nothing to do here. HOWEVER, as an adult, I purchased a home here exactly for those same reasons. My neighbors are great...it is quiet and actually my husband has his own business and he is centrally located to his jobs sites, whether they are in South Jersey or Central/North Jersey...

About the crime...I work for the court system and let me tell you, it's not Browns Mills with the problem. I am not saying that we don't have crime, of course we do...just like areas such as Moorestown an area one would consider very "well to do".

Our school systems definitely need improvement...Specifically, the middle/highschools...we are not the worse, tho... And, school is what a person makes of it....in my opinion.

Anyway, yes, there are people in this town, and other towns, that do not take pride in their homes...that's because, there are a lot of renters in Browns Mills...

So, to conclude...Browns Mills is an "average" city in New Jersey...Just like "average" cities...of course, there is need for improvement..., but it's not bad...

Last edited by angel1966; 08-04-2007 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: rushed by daughter to take her to ride her horse! haha

Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,092 times
The place stinks plain and simple - 30 yrs. there, 17 bars in Pemberton Twp., and the culture is one of mostly failure, military satellite wasteland for kids.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 26,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I'm not sure what you want from a town, but both places are very old,
often run down, and don't have much going on. Driving through, you don't get the feeling that it's very inviting or even have many residents who even care about their properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia