U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,736 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Just moved to the Mullica Hill area this summer and we're starting to think about exterior Christmas decorating. I moved here from Philly so I never really got much into decorating before or having the room for it, so we don't have supplies and everything seems so expensive right now (wrong time of year to be shopping for it, I know.)

The S.O. brought up possibly hiring a decorating service/landscaping firm that can do design and installation vs. buying all the lights and doing it ourselves. But I have no idea what that kind of service could cost and who does it around here? The only possibility I found via google is some big national chain, Chrismtas Decor, which lists no prices for services on their site. We have a pretty big house and aren't looking to go nuts with the inflatable/animated stuff, just want an attractive but elegant light display.

Any pointers or recs would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Reputation: 4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockii View Post
Just moved to the Mullica Hill area this summer and we're starting to think about exterior Christmas decorating. I moved here from Philly so I never really got much into decorating before or having the room for it, so we don't have supplies and everything seems so expensive right now (wrong time of year to be shopping for it, I know.)

The S.O. brought up possibly hiring a decorating service/landscaping firm that can do design and installation vs. buying all the lights and doing it ourselves. But I have no idea what that kind of service could cost and who does it around here? The only possibility I found via google is some big national chain, Chrismtas Decor, which lists no prices for services on their site. We have a pretty big house and aren't looking to go nuts with the inflatable/animated stuff, just want an attractive but elegant light display.

Any pointers or recs would be great.
Buy stuff a little at a time. You don't have to do an extravaganza. For a start I suggest that you go to Egg Harbor to Ollies Bargain Outlet. Ollie’s Bargain Outlet | "Good Stuff Cheap!" Ollies is getting Christmas stuff in at really good prices.

Hiring someone to rent you decorations & put them up seems like throwing good money after bad, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,785 posts, read 10,452,198 times
Reputation: 2152
pretty much any landscaping company does Christmas light installs in the winter.. Open the yellow pages and pick one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockii View Post
Just moved to the Mullica Hill area this summer and we're starting to think about exterior Christmas decorating. I moved here from Philly so I never really got much into decorating before or having the room for it, so we don't have supplies and everything seems so expensive right now (wrong time of year to be shopping for it, I know.)

The S.O. brought up possibly hiring a decorating service/landscaping firm that can do design and installation vs. buying all the lights and doing it ourselves. But I have no idea what that kind of service could cost and who does it around here? The only possibility I found via google is some big national chain, Chrismtas Decor, which lists no prices for services on their site. We have a pretty big house and aren't looking to go nuts with the inflatable/animated stuff, just want an attractive but elegant light display.

Any pointers or recs would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Reputation: 4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
pretty much any landscaping company does Christmas light installs in the winter.. Open the yellow pages and pick one
My one concern with this concept, Frank is the possibility of vandalism. It's not likely, but does happen.

I'd go with something simple this year & go to Ollies. Check Kindys as well. I've never been to Kindys, so not certain what they have. Ollies has a good assortment already & some great prices on LED light strings.

Once you acquire stuff of your own, hiring someone to put it up is a better option.

ETA: The Kindy's ads should start soon on TV, but here's a link. http://www.kindys.com/about.html (broken link)

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-25-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: additional link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 18 days ago)
 
13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
Reputation: 11856
Can't say I've ever used a service. Putting the stuff up has always been part of the fun and the tradition. My guess is that the money spent on hiring someone and renting the display could have just as easily paid for a display that can be reused every year and built on.

I would be looking around at some ideas for something basic and festive that you can do this year and not spend a lot of money. Something like wreaths for the door/windows and candles for each window. You can then build on that the following year and add lights and lawn ornaments, etc.

PS If you go the landscaper route to have them put it all up, you still need to buy the stuff for them to put up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Reputation: 4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Can't say I've ever used a service. Putting the stuff up has always been part of the fun and the tradition. My guess is that the money spent on hiring someone and renting the display could have just as easily paid for a display that can be reused every year and built on.

I would be looking around at some ideas for something basic and festive that you can do this year and not spend a lot of money. Something like wreaths for the door/windows and candles for each window. You can then build on that the following year and add lights and lawn ornaments, etc.

PS If you go the landscaper route to have them put it all up, you still need to buy the stuff for them to put up.
I've heard of some outfits that will rent the decorations, but you need to insure it, just in case. That's a lot of money, either way, for nothing. You're right. Like I said before, go with something simple.

The Ollies near me has the lawn deer for a song & dance. The current flyer for my area has 2 lighted lawn deer for $19.99. The last flyer had some other lawn deer, & there's probably some of those left.

For strings of lights, I would only go with the LEDs I got a string of 70 indoor/outdoor white LED lights that look just like regular mini lights, but with some facets cut in, for $9.99 at Ollies a couple of weeks ago. (with the UL approval on them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top