Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Weather permitting, there's the Mummers Parade in Philly on New Years Day.

Various towns have events for New Year's Eve & New Years Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Ocean City (along with other towns, Haddonfield for instance) have First Night celebrations on NYE. It's fun, especially if you have kids, but even if not. My family came down for it several years, and it's really silly and fun and different. You buy a button for $12 and it gets you into any number of shows all around town, everything from puppet shows, magicians, bands playing all types of music, even oldies headliners (for an extra $2.00 fee). We saw the Drifters and Gary US Bonds the last two we went to. The night ends at midnight with fireworks display on the beach that's as good as the 4th of July's. The boardwalk is packed, you'd think it was a summer night except everyone's wearing parkas instead of bikinis! Many, many stores on the boardwalk reopen for the occasion, as do the inside rides at Wonderland. Of course, no alcohol, but if you really wanted to it's pretty easy to sneak into a bottle of juice, lol!

Last year we didn't go because we had 3 new babies in the family, but next year they'll be old enough to enjoy it, can't wait!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
sounds like fun OC!!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
That does sound fun but I'm sure it will be freezing cold. I will be in a sunny locale for New Year's Eve!

Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
That does sound fun but I'm sure it will be freezing cold. I will be in a sunny locale for New Year's Eve!
Wimp!

What's really freezing cold is the Polar Bear swim the next day. Those people are truly crazy, lol!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ocean City (along with other towns, Haddonfield for instance) have First Night celebrations on NYE. It's fun, especially if you have kids, but even if not. My family came down for it several years, and it's really silly and fun and different. You buy a button for $12 and it gets you into any number of shows all around town, everything from puppet shows, magicians, bands playing all types of music, even oldies headliners (for an extra $2.00 fee). We saw the Drifters and Gary US Bonds the last two we went to. The night ends at midnight with fireworks display on the beach that's as good as the 4th of July's. The boardwalk is packed, you'd think it was a summer night except everyone's wearing parkas instead of bikinis! Many, many stores on the boardwalk reopen for the occasion, as do the inside rides at Wonderland. Of course, no alcohol, but if you really wanted to it's pretty easy to sneak into a bottle of juice, lol!

Last year we didn't go because we had 3 new babies in the family, but next year they'll be old enough to enjoy it, can't wait!
Thanks for adding this. It won't let me rep you again.

I usually worked on New Years Eve & New Years Day, so I'm a terrible source for this one.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the reps!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thanks for the reps!
Tossed in one for you too, I never knew that happened, sounds like a good time.

The big thing in the area for my family was always the Mummers Parade. It's long and it can get boring, but it's tradition, lol.

The thing to keep in mind with the Mummer's is that the "actual" parade doesn't take place on Broad St. It takes place on 2nd Street after the main parade. All the bands and groups assemble at 2nd and Washington (Mummer's Museum) and then parade down 2nd Street to their clubhouses. This is about as close to Mardi Gras as you are going to get outside of New Orleans. The street is lined with people on both sides, drinking and carrying on (cops are omnipresent, but open containers are fine), the bands play and do their routines and all the comic divisions have DJ trucks going down the street. It's an absolute blast, but is definitely adults only and not something for the timid, lol.

You also can't forget the Penns Landing fireworks for New Years Eve. You can view them from a lot of places, but one of the best is the Aquarium in Camden. It's pretty affordable to buy tickets and go and they have DJ's, food and drinks. It's a blacktie affair, but is a nice evening out. My wife and I went last year and really enjoyed it.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:43 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Atlantic City!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia