U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:59 AM

7 posts, read 15,296 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer in Sewell, NJ for 69k. Can any one help me out in deciding where would be the smartest place to live considering the tax burden?

From my research:

Living in South Jersey I'd owe: New Jersey state income tax of $1,271, and municipal tax for in or near Sewell that I can't find.

Living in Philly I'd owe: New Jersey state income of $1271 ( and is that eliminated because of the Philly wage tax) and or just the philly wage tax of $2,760?( Would I owe state income taxes for PA?)

Living in Philly suburbs I'd owe: New Jersey state income of $1271, and municipal tax of the suburb of philly.( Would I owe state income taxes for PA?)

I'm new to figuring out taxes since I didn't make much as a student. I want to make sure a move from western, PA is smart. I'm renting btw. so not worried about property taxes.

Last edited by Sierraless; 11-28-2010 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: clarify question
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM

23,566 posts, read 29,784,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraless View Post
I received a job offer in Sewell, NJ for 69k. Can any one help me out in deciding where would be the smartest place to live considering the tax burden?

From my research:

Living in South Jersey I'd owe: New Jersey state income tax of $1,271, and municipal tax for in or near Sewell that I can't find.

Living in Philly I'd owe: New Jersey state income of $1271 ( and is that eliminated because of the Philly wage tax) and or just the philly wage tax of $2,760?( Would I owe state income taxes for PA?)

Living in Philly suburbs I'd owe: New Jersey state income of $1271, and municipal tax of the suburb of philly.( Would I owe state income taxes for PA?)

I'm new to figuring out taxes since I didn't make much as a student. I want to make sure a move from western, PA is smart. I'm renting btw. so not worried about property taxes.
PA & NJ have a reciprocal agreement for the income tax. Philadelphia gets their share regardless.

I've lived in South Jersey & worked in Philly and lived in South Jersey & worked in the 'burbs, but it's been a few years so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing, as this stuff can fluctuate from year to year. There are a couple of people here who can give you the current information.

I'm not sure what municipal tax you're looking for, for Sewell. That would be property tax, which of course is reflected in your rent. NJ towns/counties do not have a right to work tax as there is in PA.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:24 PM

7,780 posts, read 19,582,628 times
do not go to Philly. It will be a big mistake.. In Philly you pay city wage, prop tax and pa tax. Go for south jersey(Burlington county has cheaper car insurance and homeowners and the best schools). You make enough money to get a nice home....

Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM

212 posts, read 559,914 times
What do you care about other than a rather minor tax implication? What do you want to be near?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM

6,122 posts, read 8,569,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
PA & NJ have a reciprocal agreement for the income tax. Philadelphia gets their share regardless.
Even if you both work and live in NJ?

A lot of people that work in Philly live in NJ, but I don't know of a whole lot that work in NJ and live in PA. If your job is in NJ, unless you want to live in Center City or something, it's probably easier to live in NJ as well.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Even if you both work and live in NJ?

A lot of people that work in Philly live in NJ, but I don't know of a whole lot that work in NJ and live in PA. If your job is in NJ, unless you want to live in Center City or something, it's probably easier to live in NJ as well.
Of course not, but if you live in Jersey & work in Philly you pay Philly. If you live in Pennsy & work in Philly, you pay Philly. For that matter if you live in Delaware & work in Philly You pay Philly, So regardless of where you live, if you work in Philly, you pay Philly. If you live in Philly, regardless of where you work, you pay Philly. Reciprocal agreements between the states have no effect on paying Philly, except that if you do not live in Philly, the wage tax is reduced somewhat.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM

6,122 posts, read 8,569,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Of course not, but if you live in Jersey & work in Philly you pay Philly. If you live in Pennsy & work in Philly, you pay Philly. For that matter if you live in Delaware & work in Philly You pay Philly, So regardless of where you live, if you work in Philly, you pay Philly. If you live in Philly, regardless of where you work, you pay Philly. Reciprocal agreements between the states have no effect on paying Philly, except that if you do not live in Philly, the wage tax is reduced somewhat.
But the OP is working in NJ. So as long as he/she doesn't live in Philly, they're not paying Philly.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But the OP is working in NJ. So as long as he/she doesn't live in Philly, they're not paying Philly.
She's debating whether to stay in PA or move to NJ. If she stays in PA, she's debating whether to live in Philly or the 'burbs. She has a 2nd thread regarding insurance for chioldren which was moved to the main NJ board. She has a child with a chronic illness. In PA the child is covered regardless of her income. That's a factor in this.

This one is more complicated than most.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,938,054 times
No one has mentioned the bridge tolls every day. The bridges will soon go to $5.00. (or $1,200 per year). Of course if you are able to go west over the Tacony it is only $ 2.00

Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,582,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
No one has mentioned the bridge tolls every day. The bridges will soon go to $5.00. (or $1,200 per year). Of course if you are able to go west over the Tacony it is only $ 2.00
yea, good point. Another reason not to live over the bridge in pa.. if you work in jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia