U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,423 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving from Western, PA for a new job near Sewell. I'd like to live near work and the best elementary school in the area.

From my research Laurel Springs Elementary school seems to be the best, and within 20 min from work. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I can live ( I'm looking for rentals) if I wanted to be in that school district?

I read about being able to live within 20 miles of a different district and still being able to send your children to the one of your choice. Can anyone vouch for that??

Or any other suggestions for elementary schools/ towns to live that would be a short commute to work? Although my biggest concerns are commute and grammar school, I was hoping for a place a little closer to philly or sort of on the way, so I can have an easier time meeting young (late 20's/early 30's), single people.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by Sierraless; 01-02-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,421 posts, read 25,529,921 times
Reputation: 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraless View Post
Hi, I'm moving from Western, PA for a new job near Sewell. I'd like to live near work and the best elementary school in the area.

From my research Laurel Springs Elementary school seems to be the best, and within 20 min from work. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I can live ( I'm looking for rentals) if I wanted to be in that school district?

I read about being able to live within 20 miles of a different district and still being able to send your children to the one of your choice. Can anyone vouch for that??

Or any other suggestions for elementary schools/ towns to live that would be a short commute to work? Although my biggest concerns are commute and grammar school, I was hoping for a place a little closer to philly or sort of on the way, so I can have an easier time meeting young (late 20's/early 30's), single people.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
The only students, who I'm aware of, who can cross district lines for free are special ed students, if their needs can not be met by the sending district.

If a school that is not in your district has an opening, you are, of course, welcome to pay the tuition. Getting the child there would also be on you.

Did you look at the Pitman schools? My niece & nephew went through that system & both got into top colleges for their majors.

Pitman has condos that people rent out & apartments. A lot of grad students from Rowan University in Glassboro rent in Pitman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,423 times
Reputation: 10
thank you.

I was trying to find the source that I read about the trial program of 'intradistrict exchange' I think it was on greatsschool.org. I could scarcely find rentals near laurel springs elem. in the town, wasn't sure if living in lindenwold or clementon would qualify, so I was hoping that was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,421 posts, read 25,529,921 times
Reputation: 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraless View Post
thank you.

I was trying to find the source that I read about the trial program of 'intradistrict exchange' I think it was on greatsschool.org. I could scarcely find rentals near laurel springs elem. in the town, wasn't sure if living in lindenwold or clementon would qualify, so I was hoping that was right.
Don't live in Lindenwold or Clementon!

If you really want to be up there look in Barrington. They have good elementary schools, but Pitman is much closer to where you will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 AM
 
212 posts, read 519,841 times
Reputation: 103
This is probably what you're talking about
Interdistrict Public School Choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:02 AM
 
14,776 posts, read 34,297,887 times
Reputation: 14277
The thing with the school choice is that it is a participatory program. Only schools that wish to accept kids from other towns are included. So, there is no guarantee and unless I'm mistaken participation can be changed anytime. Basically, most folks in NJ view this as meaningless legislation. If you want to be in a good school district, live in a good school district.

Laurel Springs does have a top notch elementary school, but the middle school is a notch lower and the high school (Sterling which serves; Magnolia, Hi-Nella, Somerdale, Stratford and Laurel Springs) is below average. Also, Laurel Springs doesn't have any apartment complexes that I know of, so it would mainly be single family homes that were being rented out. Overall that town is a bit of an enclave. While Laurel Springs itself is nice, most of the surrounding area isn't. Also, though it seems like a 20 minute commute on a map, reality is that it will be much closer to 45 minutes. There are really no easy ways to get from Laurel Springs down to Sewell. The major roads are all backed up during the rush and the backroads aren't any better as you will have to contend with all the traffic heading into the county college.

Overall, I think you need to focus your search on the area around Sewell itself and west. Pitman was a great suggestion, but I wouldn't overlook Sewell (aka Washington Twp.) itself either. Washington Twp. has a good school system even if it isn't rated a "9" like Laurel Springs on greatschools and unlike Laurel Springs, if you stay you are guaranteed a good middle and high school. Another area that is light on rentals, but would be a good choice is Mullica Hill. Good school system and a great area. I would suggest the Swedesboro/Logan/Woolwich area as well, but that is taking you back into the 30-45 minute commute range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,423 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you. I'm headed over to look at places tomorrow, it's great to have some direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,421 posts, read 25,529,921 times
Reputation: 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The thing with the school choice is that it is a participatory program. Only schools that wish to accept kids from other towns are included. So, there is no guarantee and unless I'm mistaken participation can be changed anytime. Basically, most folks in NJ view this as meaningless legislation. If you want to be in a good school district, live in a good school district.

Laurel Springs does have a top notch elementary school, but the middle school is a notch lower and the high school (Sterling which serves; Magnolia, Hi-Nella, Somerdale, Stratford and Laurel Springs) is below average. Also, Laurel Springs doesn't have any apartment complexes that I know of, so it would mainly be single family homes that were being rented out. Overall that town is a bit of an enclave. While Laurel Springs itself is nice, most of the surrounding area isn't. Also, though it seems like a 20 minute commute on a map, reality is that it will be much closer to 45 minutes. There are really no easy ways to get from Laurel Springs down to Sewell. The major roads are all backed up during the rush and the backroads aren't any better as you will have to contend with all the traffic heading into the county college.

Overall, I think you need to focus your search on the area around Sewell itself and west. Pitman was a great suggestion, but I wouldn't overlook Sewell (aka Washington Twp.) itself either. Washington Twp. has a good school system even if it isn't rated a "9" like Laurel Springs on greatschools and unlike Laurel Springs, if you stay you are guaranteed a good middle and high school. Another area that is light on rentals, but would be a good choice is Mullica Hill. Good school system and a great area. I would suggest the Swedesboro/Logan/Woolwich area as well, but that is taking you back into the 30-45 minute commute range.
LOL, I didn't mention Sewell because I wasn't sure about rentals there. I remember when the big business in Sewell was Ledden's http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/574/ .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
 
14,776 posts, read 34,297,887 times
Reputation: 14277
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I didn't mention Sewell because I wasn't sure about rentals there. I remember when the big business in Sewell was Ledden's http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/574/ .
I don't know how many rentals there actually are in "Sewell" as I still get it confused sometimes. There are apparently two "Sewell's". One is a section of Washington Twp. and the other is an unincorporated area within Mantua Township. The Washington Twp. Sewell is still close to the other "Sewell" and finding a rental there shouldn't be an issue. The confusion I have is that many people who live in Washington Twp. state that they live in Sewell, while people who live in the actual unincorporated area of Sewell just say they live in Mantua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,421 posts, read 25,529,921 times
Reputation: 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't know how many rentals there actually are in "Sewell" as I still get it confused sometimes. There are apparently two "Sewell's". One is a section of Washington Twp. and the other is an unincorporated area within Mantua Township. The Washington Twp. Sewell is still close to the other "Sewell" and finding a rental there shouldn't be an issue. The confusion I have is that many people who live in Washington Twp. state that they live in Sewell, while people who live in the actual unincorporated area of Sewell just say they live in Mantua.
It's always been confusing, even when it was all farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top