Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM

30 posts, read 60,767 times

Advertisements

I currently own part of a twin house in Chestnut Hill to be closer to my grandchildren-they live in Center City. Like the town, but the neighbors on the other side of the wall are unbearable, very loud etc... Can't afford a single house here, so considering moving to south NJ. Lived in northwest NJ up to two years ago, but that is now too far since again want to be close to the kiddies. For someone in their 50's, how is Haddonfield? And, can I find a nice single house to rent between 1500-2000 until I decide if I'm staying? I did a quick search and the area loooks really nice, love the walkable town, but may be too expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 AM

212 posts, read 610,681 times
It may take some looking but you may be able to find a small house for that price range. I'd look on craigslist and drive around to see if you see "for rent" signs at that price range. Also, look in Westmont and Collingswood, you're much more likely to find something in that range in either of those places and you'll still have walkable downtowns and easy access to PATCO.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
you will*love* haddonfield... clean quiet, great people great Christmas and events throughout the eyear too. Moving there will put you no more then 15 minutes from CC too. Ideal location

Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
You would like Haddonfield best, but also check Haddon Heights & Barrington. There should be bus service to PATCO.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all of your comments - Haddonfield does sound very nice. My concern is the housing prices, may be out of my price range. I'm debating on renting a single family house since I will be selling this house after only living here a little more than one year. I will take a loss with the realtor fees. Not sure I want to purchase again so soon, because this has been a bad experience - can't pick your neighbors.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
Am8402 - I ran a search for rentals listed on the MLS in Haddonfield Boro under 2k, there are 14 total. I'll send you the list in a PM.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks for sending the rental listings. I've made the decision to put my house on the market next month and take the hit, and hopefully find a realtor to cut their listing percentage down from the usual 6%. I do plan to rent a single house, so any further info you come across would be very appreciative.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
School district doesn't matter to you, and if you drive, why not just buy a nice little house somewhere like Westville, Bellmawr, or Mt. Ephraim. There's also some really nice parts of Pennsauken, established and with good neighbors, where you could find a charming house with some quiet surroundings. The school district isn't the greatest but that doesn't matter to you. In any of those towns you'd be less than 15 minutes from Center City. Haddonfield has a cute walkable downtown, but nothing useful is located there. You still have to drive to do your normal shopping. I'd get bored of walking to Starbucks or expensive little shops after a few times.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times
Haddonfield is a wonderful town but for someone in their 50's who is not putting kids in school, it may not be a good move as their taxes are of the highest. The schools are excellent but the buildings are archaic and need constant upgrades. The older folks are taxed out. You may want to look in a lower rent district that offers what you want. My thoughts would be the Westmont section of Haddon Township and/or Collingswood. Both of these neighbor Haddonfield, just each a stop closer to Philly on the PATCO.
Something to seriously consider if you expect a loss on your home sale. Haddonfield is a desireable school district so those with kids who can afford it are not worried about buying there; therefore, real estate is not as negotiable and on the upper end to start..

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Haddonfield is a wonderful town but for someone in their 50's who is not putting kids in school, it may not be a good move as their taxes are of the highest. The schools are excellent but the buildings are archaic and need constant upgrades. The older folks are taxed out. You may want to look in a lower rent district that offers what you want. My thoughts would be the Westmont section of Haddon Township and/or Collingswood. Both of these neighbor Haddonfield, just each a stop closer to Philly on the PATCO.
Something to seriously consider if you expect a loss on your home sale. Haddonfield is a desireable school district so those with kids who can afford it are not worried about buying there; therefore, real estate is not as negotiable and on the upper end to start..
Haddonfield does have a range of homes, not just the big colonials & Victorians. It's also in high demand, generation after generation, so while she won't be likely to get a steal there, she's unlikely to lose either, at a later date.

I'm also in my 50s & female. I'd go to Haddon Heights or Barrington & catch a bus to PATCO before Westmont & Collingswood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia