U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM

183 posts, read 1,141,907 times

Advertisements

can anyone give me any info. about Parkview Elementary or Westville? Does the school have more lower income families? How about Westville? I have 2 children that may be attending Parkview and I am a little concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,663,988 times
NJ classifies all of the various school districts/towns by something called "District Factor Group". This basically rates the socio-economic status of a town based on average income per family, per capita and the percentage living in poverty. The scale runs like this: A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J. On the scale "A" is the lowest and "J" is the highest. Westville is a "B". To put that into perspective here are the rankings of other towns in the area:

A - Camden, Paulsboro
B - Gloucester City, Brooklawn, Clementon, Magnolia, National Park, Glassboro
CD - Lindenwold, Mt. Ephraim, Somerdale, Maple Shade, Pennsauken
DE - Collingswood, Oaklyn, Audubon, Stratford, Mantua, Pitman
FG - Logan Twp., Harrison Twp., Haddon Twp., Delran, Lumerton
GH - Haddon Heights, Washington Twp., Cinnaminson
I - Voorhees, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford, Mount Laurel
J - There are none in South Jersey, but two examples in North Jersey are Alpine and Franklin Lakes.

So, take it for what it is. Based on that list Westville would rank among one of the poorer areas. Here is the complete 2010 list of towns/districts by DFG:

NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts

As for the actual school system, if you look at the ratings on greatschool, they break them down into a scale of 1-10. A score of 5 means the district is average for NJ. Parkview in Westville scores a "5" and the other elementary scores a "4". So, overall I would say Westville schools perform average for the state. Of note is that Westville schools only run PK-6. After that kids go to Gateway Regional for 7-12. Gateway also scores a "5".

So, yes Westville is a poorer area. Overall their schools perform about average for the state and are better than others (statistically) in the same DFG. As with most schools though, actual performance is really tied to the kid and the parents supporting them. If you were coming on here asking for suggestion on where to move, I wouldn't personally suggest Westville, but you could do a lot worse.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM

183 posts, read 1,141,907 times
thank you, I will look into it.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 AM

93 posts, read 195,671 times
My sister's kids go to that school,it's a good school from what she tells me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia