Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM

262 posts, read 789,988 times

Advertisements

What is the significant difference about living to the east or west of 295/turnpike? Looks like east is considered more desirable?

I see the CH library is to the west of 295/turnpike. How is it to live pretty close to that?

What is the significant difference between CH-West High and CH-East High?

How would you rate the CH library?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Is there any gym in the CH area where parents and kids can use the facilities?

Would that be the YMCA? Any other? Which YMCA would be closest to the CH area?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
I entered the zipcodes 08002, 08003,08034 in zillow. Looks like 08002 (a fairly large area) and 08034 (seems like a smaller strip) are to the west of 295/turnpike. 08003 (a large area) is to the east of 295/turnpike. Is that correct? All these zipcodes exactly define CH?

I believe Mapquest does counties, not townships? I tried it. The Burlington county border probably is the eastern boundary of CH.
Zillow is good for some things, but less than accurate (My own property included) 2 developments that are 08034 include Barclay Farm & Kingsway Village. Both are west of 295. 08034 was the original zip code for Cherry Hill. The others were added as the population grew & farms were replaced with development.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
What is the significant difference about living to the east or west of 295/turnpike? Looks like east is considered more desirable?

I see the CH library is to the west of 295/turnpike. How is it to live pretty close to that?

What is the significant difference between CH-West High and CH-East High?

How would you rate the CH library?
The library is very nice. Kingston would put you in close proximity to it.

CH West High School was the original high school in Cherry Hill, built when the township was still called Delaware Twp. East was built later. Some people with political pull got a lot of $$ put into East when it was built. Some developments on the east side of town are older than others, (Downs Farms & Old Orchard, for example). Newer developments on the east side can be quite pricey, but there is a mix.

There were problems because of the disparity between the high schools, as far as programs available & amenities. The township made some upgrades to West, & switched some programs from school to school & now students have a right to go to either. Students will be bussed to either high school. Parents can elect to send a child to a different school in town below high school, but below high school the parents are responsible for that transportation. If the student goes to the assigned school, below high school, transportation is provided. (There is a distance, close to the schools, where the students walk.)

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 732,850 times
There is no YMCA in Camden County anymore. The nearest one is in Mount Laurel off Centerton Road near the Costco and Wegmans. The YMCA in Camden County was in Voorhees next to Echelon Mall (now called Voorhees Town Center) and closed down a few years ago.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
The JCC (Katz JCC - Betty and Milton Katz Jewish Community Center of Cherry Hill, NJ) in Cherry Hill is very nice, and you don't have to be Jewish to join. Although if you were wondering and didn't know already, there is a large population of Jewish families in Cherry Hill.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
CH West High School was the original high school in Cherry Hill, built when the township was still called Delaware Twp. East was built later. Some people with political pull got a lot of $$ put into East when it was built. Some developments on the east side of town are older than others, (Downs Farms & Old Orchard, for example). Newer developments on the east side can be quite pricey, but there is a mix.

There were problems because of the disparity between the high schools, as far as programs available & amenities. The township made some upgrades to West, & switched some programs from school to school & now students have a right to go to either. Students will be bussed to either high school. Parents can elect to send a child to a different school in town below high school, but below high school the parents are responsible for that transportation. If the student goes to the assigned school, below high school, transportation is provided. (There is a distance, close to the schools, where the students walk.)
So you can pick which school you want to go to? Isn't East still considered to be better (although West is still good)? I feel like if you can choose which one you want to go to most people would choose East...

Old 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you can pick which school you want to go to? Isn't East still considered to be better (although West is still good)? I feel like if you can choose which one you want to go to most people would choose East...
Several years back the board of education scrambled things around & put certain programs in West, so if your kid wants those programs, they will pick West.

East is still the fancier school. That can not be undone. I was in the last class from both sides of town. The year behind me was the split. There were a lot of hard feelings for many years over the disparity in the schools. However, I will say, because the uproar was almost instantaneous, when the split occurred West got to keep the better, more experienced teachers. The new teachers went to East.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The JCC (Katz JCC - Betty and Milton Katz Jewish Community Center of Cherry Hill, NJ) in Cherry Hill is very nice, and you don't have to be Jewish to join. Although if you were wondering and didn't know already, there is a large population of Jewish families in Cherry Hill.

Is it common for non-Jewish folk to join the JCC? (I did realize that the area was popular with the Jewish community -- while driving around in summer 2010.)

When I was there, I think I saw an LA Fitness and a Walmart coming up near one of the PATCO stations. Anyone been to that LA Fitness? Do they have a swimming pool? LAFitness website does not seem to say what is at the facility?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Any opinion on the Asian Indian community in Cherry Hill?

My (uneducated) impression was that there is probably a large enough community for someone to not feel uncomfortable. But probably not too much that allows people to self-segregate. I did not see too many Indian businesses when I was there in summer 2010, but I had no idea really where they might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia