U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 PM

183 posts, read 1,219,072 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law told me that my son who is in 3rd grade will be tested before he starts school in NJ to see if he will remain in 3rd grade. I have never heard of this and the school never mentioned this to me. They said when we arrive just bring all the paper work they told me about and they will enroll him. He is a good student and I would hate for them to hold him back because of some NJ test. Is it different in each county?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM

23,567 posts, read 29,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
My sister-in-law told me that my son who is in 3rd grade will be tested before he starts school in NJ to see if he will remain in 3rd grade. I have never heard of this and the school never mentioned this to me. They said when we arrive just bring all the paper work they told me about and they will enroll him. He is a good student and I would hate for them to hold him back because of some NJ test. Is it different in each county?
What state are you coming from & which school district are you moving to?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Im in Seminole County Florida and its one of the best school districts in Florida. We are moving to Gloucester County.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 AM

23,567 posts, read 29,863,665 times
Quote:
Im in Seminole County Florida and its one of the best school districts in Florida. We are moving to Gloucester County.
OK, keep in mind that in NJ school districts are not by county. Gloucester County does have county offices for certain things. There are some regional high schools as well, but the schools are "home rule"

Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,768,687 times
Quote:
I have never, ever heard of that. If he is in third grade this year, he will be placed into fourth grade next year, as far as I have ever heard. They might test him once he gets to school for other things, like reading and math placement, etc, but not to determine his grade level.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM

ok thank you.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,313,808 times
NJ public school has the state's and their guideline that they must follow. They are probably testing your son for accountability issue. The test is probably an assement to make sure that your son is prepared for 4th grade. It will also help identify what he may need to work on. I doubt very much that they will hold your son back unless he is really behind.

He is going to get tested again next year for the NJ Ask test. Kids are administered this test to make sure that they are learning. Remember, the state wants to look good with regard to NCLB. Better to make sure that your child will pass 4th grade by putting him in 3rd instead of 4th.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure he has a good night sleep the day before the test and go from there. If anything, him not doing well in the test is not a direct reflection of how smart he is. It may say something about the current school system that he is in.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM

I checked with some of the schools in the area. He will not be tested. The only time they test is if a child who started kindergarten early in another state because of cut off dates and may not be ready for kindergarten there, so they will have to repeat it. Also, as the other poster said they will also see which level of reading to place him in. The curriculum he is doing now is the same as Jersey schools and I think he was a little more ahead.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM

14,781 posts, read 38,671,795 times
FWIW, my school district does do testing of incoming students for reading and math as well as a Kindergarten assessment if that is the age/grade they are going into. However, it is not for grade placement (beyond Kindergarten), just to put them in the appropriate track for the reading and math programs they use. I know the reading assessment is very common, the math one however is usually only in districts that use Everyday Math or a similar program versus the standard math lessons.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM

398 posts, read 634,976 times
We didn't have to deal with any testing (Gloucester Twp).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia