Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times

Advertisements

wondering what these areas are like...........seems like some decent real estate in these areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Paulsboro is pretty much a no go, IMO. The town is very depressed socio-economically and the schools are poor. Woodbury is a mixed bag with some really nice areas and some poorer areas. The schools are below average, but better than Paulsboro.

You've made a few of these threads, so I need to ask, what are you looking for? Is this solely about investment property? Are you looking for a place to live and have a limited budget? If you are looking for somewhere to live yourself are there kids that will be going to school? Where do you work (city/state) and how much of a commute are you willing to make?

With some more information, we could really help you narrow down some areas to consider taking all the factors into account.

To help you make some comparisons, here is a link I posted in another thread.

Quote:
One of the easiest ways to compare towns socio-economically is to look at the NJ Dept. of Education DFG's (District Factor Groupings). These take into account the demographics of the population, the poverty rate and the overall income per capita and per family. They break the scale down like this from "worst" to "best": A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I, J.

NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts
FWIW, Paulsboro is rated "A" which is the same rating as Camden and Trenton. Woodbury is rated "B" which is the same as towns like Bulrington City, Gloucester City and Lawnside. I find that these groupings give you a nice idea of the socio-economic situation of a town. Consequently these numbers also give a decent indication of school quality as well, though there are towns with low DFG's that have good schools. Crime rates however have almost nothing to do with DFG's. For example, Paulsboro is an "A", same as Camden, but the crime rates are nowhere near similar.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:20 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times
Default moving ourselves want to pay cash for house....don't have to worry about schools but want a somewhat nice area to live

have cash to buy home 120k or less.........no worry about schools.....want a decent place to live that is relatively safe.....thanks......any suggestions would be great

Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
have cash to buy home 120k or less.........no worry about schools.....want a decent place to live that is relatively safe.....thanks......any suggestions would be great
Well, one suggestion would be checking out any listings in the 08085 zipcode. That area comprises Swedesboro, Logan Twp. and Woolwich Twp. It is a quiet safe area with nearby necessities and easy highway access. There are some homes in Swedesboro proper that fall into that range. Additionally, there are some homes in the Bridgeport and Repaupo sections of Logan Twp. that are within that range. I would personally steer you towards homes in Logan as it is one of the lowest taxed towns in the state. Property taxes on an older 3 bed 1.5 bath home in the Bridgeport section may only run around $3k a year.

Outside of that would you consider Salem County? Both Oldmans and Carney's Point Twp. have homes in that price range and they are large spread out areas, so you should be able to find something private and quiet. The main towns in that area are Pedricktown in Oldmans Twp. and Penns Grove in Carney's Point Twp. Woodstown is another option, though homes in that price range may be hard to come by.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The town is very depressed socio-economically and the schools are poor.
...unless you play football or wrestle. But I would agree, unless you like the smell of oil, you probably won't like Paulsboro.

I don't really have anything against Woodbury though, other than the time I got speed-trapped on Cooper St when a 40 MPH zone suddenly turned into a 25.

For somewhat decent towns where you can get a house for $120K or less (I'm assuming SFH) that are still pretty convenient to Philly (seems like most of the places you asked about were), I'd maybe look at places like Sicklerville, Blackwood, and Pine Hill. Schools are below average in most of these areas (I know you said you don't need them, but still pretty important for resale), but are probably better than places like Gloucester City and Paulsboro. They're definitely no Moorestown or Cherry Hill, but they are decent enough towns where crime isn't a huge issue (although there are still probably parts you want to stay away from). Not sure on all the zip codes for Sicklerville, but Blackwood is 08012 and Pine Hill is 08021. If you search 08012 you may want to avoid Lindenwold (Clementon is included in that zip code as well and can also be hit or miss).

Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Good suggestion with Pine Hill. I'd add Atco to the list as well. Chances are you will find houses in that price range and they still have relatively easy access to Philly do to their proximity to the Lindenwold PATCO station.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Whoops sorry for some reason can't edit my last post but Lindenwold would come up when searching 08021 not 08012

Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
I live in Gloucester County and would avoid Paulsboro, unless you really like high school wrestling. It's very economically depressed. Woodbury is odd. It has dumpy areas and old, over-priced (IMO) large homes that are very nice. You really have to do your research in Woodbury. Woodbury does have an old-fashioned downtown main street, but they have been trying to revitalize it for years, with varying degrees of success. Parking downtown is a major PITA. Check out Franklin Township, which is still semi-rural and pretty quiet. I would avoid Clayton, because it's schools are terrible (bad for resale, even if you don't have kids) and its taxes are much higher than those of Franklin Twp., which is right next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia