Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 42,644 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is relocating to Mount Laurel and I have a few questions.

We will most likely be moving into a townhouse and these seem to be our options. Could you tell me what you know about them?(nice area, etc.)
-Madison Place
-Stonegate
-LeClub
-The Lakes
-Birchfield
-Essex Place

Oh and how are the elementary schools? It seems that in the places we are looking at Fleetwood and Larchmont seem to be the ones that we'll be moving near? From what it looks like Larchmont is kind of the more run down area of the town. And what about Parkway? Hillside and Springville seem to be the nicest elementary schools but considering they are in the nicer part of town they don't really seem to be an option, but it wouldn't hurt hearing about them.

I have 3 kids, girls, going into 3rd grade, 8th grade, and 9th grade.

Anything else you can tell me about Mount Laurel would be fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,086 times
I live in Birchfield and like it. The homes are a little older (built in the 70s and 80s) but I like how there is a diversified housing stock - condos, townhomes, single family homes, etc. What I like best about Birchfield is the internal pathway system that circles its 3 lakes. Very popular for walks/runs/dogwalking. Also Birchfield has a pool which is very popular with the kids in the summer. There is also a small work-out room that is OK.

Stonegate is pretty much right next to Birchfield across Elbo Lane. The homes are pretty new (early 2000s I believe) and look very nice. I imagine it is more expensive than Birchfield. I think they also have a pool there but no 100% sure.

The Birchfield/Stonegate area is nice because you are only 2min away from the Shop Rite shopping center which also has a good Pizza and Chinese/Japanese/Sushi place. It is also convenient for commuting as you can be on 295, the NJ Turnpike, 73, or 38 within 5min. You can also get to the Moorestown Mall shopping area in 5-10 min.

When I was looking for my place, I looked at The Lakes and Le Club. The Lakes seemed very nice but was a little off the beaten path. I wasn't thrilled about Le Club when I looked at those homes.

I don't have any kids so don't know much about the school system. I've heard good things about the ML district in general though.

You can PM me if you want to ask more specific questions.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Well I have family that went to Fleetwood many years ago, went through Hartford and Harrington Middle School, and then Lenape High School. Both are doing very well now.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks JerzBoy your post was very helpful!

Soug, that's great! Fleetwood seems to be the elementary school my daughter will most likely be attending. It has a greatschools rating of 8 and good reviews!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabbbanana View Post
Thanks JerzBoy your post was very helpful!

Soug, that's great! Fleetwood seems to be the elementary school my daughter will most likely be attending. It has a greatschools rating of 8 and good reviews!

Good Morning Annabbbanana,
I have been following this thread because I am also in the same boat this upcoming school year. We are looking to make a move to either Marlton or Mount Laurel. My daughter will be starting 3rd grade next year also and I am curious to know if you have visited the Fleetwood school. If so,how were the classroom sizes? I am planning on taking a few school tours within the next few weeks to get an idea. Lastly, from the townhouse communities you listed, which one sends to Fleetwood? It's very hard to judge solely using the Internet. I am sure once I get out there and see for myself I will be able to easily eliminate certain areas.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,086 times
Parea - here is the boundary map for Mount Laurel Elementary Schools. Mount Laurel Schools - Attendance Boundaries

It looks like anything located north of 38 would attend Fleetwood. I can't imagine there being much of a difference among the 6 (with the possible exception of Larchmont just because parts of that area is a little run down).

Also keep in mind that the elementary schools only go up to 4th grade. Once a student is in 5th grade - all Mount Laurel kids will attend the same middle schools and high school.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 10,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Parea - here is the boundary map for Mount Laurel Elementary Schools. Mount Laurel Schools - Attendance Boundaries

It looks like anything located north of 38 would attend Fleetwood. I can't imagine there being much of a difference among the 6 (with the possible exception of Larchmont just because parts of that area is a little run down).

Also keep in mind that the elementary schools only go up to 4th grade. Once a student is in 5th grade - all Mount Laurel kids will attend the same middle schools and high school.
Thanks JerzBoy! This is a big help. Yes, I have been told to parts of Larchmont and Lumberton can be less desirable.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Thank you all! And I'm sure there isn't that much of a difference between all the elementary schools but it seems pretty apparent that Larchmont is kind of the less desirable elementary school/area of town. The rest seem to be pretty much equal.

oh and would anyone care to explain whats so bad about willow turn? i saw an ad on craigslist for a townhouse there with a really cheap pricetag, and thought it was too good to be true and after reading the posts here it is because everyone says to stay away. but would anyone care to explain why?

Last edited by annabbbanana; 04-21-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabbbanana View Post
Thank you all! And I'm sure there isn't that much of a difference between all the elementary schools but it seems pretty apparent that Larchmont is kind of the less desirable elementary school/area of town. The rest seem to be pretty much equal.

oh and would anyone care to explain whats so bad about willow turn? i saw an ad on craigslist for a townhouse there with a really cheap pricetag, and thought it was too good to be true and after reading the posts here it is because everyone says to stay away. but would anyone care to explain why?
I couldn't tell you about Willow Turn specifically, but one thing to note is that Mt. Laurel was one of the towns where the affordable housing fight started in this state: Mount Laurel doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't read too much into that article though, it's a great town.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 PM

@soug hmm i've never seen or heard about that before, thanks for sharing! and yes Mount Laurel is a great town, Willow Turn is the only place I've ever been told to stay away from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia