Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM

36 posts, read 99,051 times

Advertisements

HI..My mom is really sick with a terminal neurological disease: MSA (Mulitple Systems Atrophy). She is in the hospital with a UTI, bed sore, pneumonia and can not speak and move her hands. Doubt she will regain these abilities. Prognosis is not good.

We need to seek Long-term care for her ASAP as she can no longer live in her apartment.

The 3 facilities that we are looking into are in Voorhees, NJ (where my sister lives) They are :
Manor Care of Voorhees
Lakewood of Voorhees
Kressonview.

Can anyone give feedback on any of these places? I looked on Medicare.gov website and see ratings but would really love some personal feedback from peopple that have been there and have family there!

Please advise!

We are running out of time as doctor may discharge her soon!

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Well I know someone who volunteers at Manor Care and she seems to really like it. I couldn't give you any advice beyond that, though.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Well I know someone who volunteers at Manor Care and she seems to really like it. I couldn't give you any advice beyond that, though.
Thanks..if you happen to ask her and get her feedback, I would love to know. I am desperate and this is so important to me and my sister. Our mother is only 64 and this is so sad and such a hard thing to be doing.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoVa View Post
Thanks..if you happen to ask her and get her feedback, I would love to know. I am desperate and this is so important to me and my sister. Our mother is only 64 and this is so sad and such a hard thing to be doing.
Have you looked at facilities in Cherry Hill?

Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you looked at facilities in Cherry Hill?
Why? Do you know a good place in Cherry Hill that takes Medicaid too?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoVa View Post
Why? Do you know a good place in Cherry Hill that takes Medicaid too?
My parents both died at home. My father was 90. However, over the years, some of their friends ended up in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Several went to a place called Silver Care, or something like that. It's at Brace & Kresson. I know nothing about the finances.

It just makes sense to also look at Cherry Hill. It would widen your choices.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Please, avoid Manor Care! I would not put a relative there. I am a nurse and their staffing ratios scared me so much that I turned a job down. Too many patients for too few nurses. And their nurse turnover rate is very high. HCR ManorCare is a for-profit company. I'm just going to leave it at that. I don't know anything about the other 2 facilities. Have you checked Pitman Manor or Collingswood Manor, both of which are run by United Methodist Homes? They have good reputations. Also Kennedy Hospital's Kennedy Health Care Center is a long-term facility/rehab combo, although I don't know if they have any beds open. Best of luck. I have been through this with my Mom in North Jersey and I know how tough the situation is.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
To the OP:

I get the feeling that you think that it's going to be your choice of where to have your mother admitted.

You may be disappointed. Facilities all have choices as well. And put yourself in the place of a nursing home owner: what type of patients do you want in your facility? Patients with lots of special needs? Family members bringing potential lawsuits? Fall risk patients?

If a particular facility has only one empty bed, and they have to choose between your mother, or someone who's still somewhat ambulatory with minimal needs, who will get admitted? The one that's going to be less taxing on the staff. It's a no-brainer.

A while back, on a South Carolina forum, a husband was searching in vain to admit his wife with any number of special needs, and every facility he approached, it was the same line: Sorry, we're full! And are they full?
No! They just don't want the additional risk, when there's other choices to consider.

I work in one these facilities. Even tho' we've had empty beds, rather than risk having someone with special needs be admitted, we've used the same line: Sorry! We're full!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
To the OP:

I get the feeling that you think that it's going to be your choice of where to have your mother admitted.

You may be disappointed. Facilities all have choices as well. And put yourself in the place of a nursing home owner: what type of patients do you want in your facility? Patients with lots of special needs? Family members bringing potential lawsuits? Fall risk patients?

If a particular facility has only one empty bed, and they have to choose between your mother, or someone who's still somewhat ambulatory with minimal needs, who will get admitted? The one that's going to be less taxing on the staff. It's a no-brainer.

A while back, on a South Carolina forum, a husband was searching in vain to admit his wife with any number of special needs, and every facility he approached, it was the same line: Sorry, we're full! And are they full?
No! They just don't want the additional risk, when there's other choices to consider.

I work in one these facilities. Even tho' we've had empty beds, rather than risk having someone with special needs be admitted, we've used the same line: Sorry! We're full!
That was the Charlotte, NC board, & that mess continues. The facility is trying to throw her out.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
That woman in SC may have been on Medicaid by the time he tried to find a place. Every facility has a certain number of beds dedicated to Medicare, Medicaid, etc, and per law they can't just make a medicare bed a medicaid one, or vice versa. If a facility has 15 medicaid beds and they are full, then they ARE all full to medicaid admissions, even if there are 100 other beds empty in the facility. Money talks, and makes much more of a difference in who they accept then how much care the person needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia