Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,335,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't know, this trip was back in 2007 during the end of the Bush years. I wasn't going to start talking politics with a bunch of Quebecois, lol.

Though I think they were more upset over the whole Briere thing than they were Bush and the Iraq War, it may actually have been easier talking about that.
yeah, it's just something i've observed in my travels. in every country i've been to, politics has been discussed. but it was a conversation. in the U.S., it's very difficult to discuss politics with a group of people.

but sports depending on the crowd can be just as difficult.

also - hockey players pay for their own sticks in theory....but many have sponsorships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:43 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,335,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
watching neither is classless. its when you make it a part of your life that impacts your satisfaction even when you arent watching the sport. its celebrating the players as if they are anything special to you.

but like i said, if that increases your overall quality of life then i wouldnt suggest stopping it. i dont want anyone to think that i would want them to change what they do because of my opinion.
eh. everyone has things they enjoy.

do you watch tv?
do you go to the movies?
do you listen to music?

ever have a band you like come out with a horrible album...and you discuss that with friends? or a tv show ended a way you didn't expect?

come on...you must have some hobbies. people get into sports - it's a competition. people that let it deeply effect their lives might be taking it too far...but there's nothing wrong with being passionate about things in life.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,483,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
eh. everyone has things they enjoy.

do you watch tv?
do you go to the movies?
do you listen to music?

ever have a band you like come out with a horrible album...and you discuss that with friends? or a tv show ended a way you didn't expect?

come on...you must have some hobbies. people get into sports - it's a competition. people that let it deeply effect their lives might be taking it too far...but there's nothing wrong with being passionate about things in life.
i have things i like and talk about but they dont have much of an impact on my day when im not watching/listening to them. just because i think someone else liking certain things is silly, that doesnt really make them silly. i see people arguing about sports teams as if they have some kind of stake in it. i dont pick the players so why should i be responsible if they lose or win? i just think its silly, but thats just for me.

you may not like britney spears but to me she is the greatest musician that ever lived. but i dont really care about her personal life or whatever happens to her. i wish her well though because she is the greatest and i want more britney.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:49 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,493,224 times
Quote:
watching neither is classless. its when you make it a part of your life that impacts your satisfaction even when you arent watching the sport. its celebrating the players as if they are anything special to you.
I can agree with this. There are certainly people who take everything too far. If your quality of life is being impacted by your sports teams performance, you need to re-prioritize a bit. However, there is nothing wrong with being a passionate fan, just don't let it dominate your life. That applies to a lot of things though.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,493,224 times
Quote:
you may not like britney spears but to me she is the greatest musician that ever lived. but i dont really care about her personal life or whatever happens to her. i wish her well though because she is the greatest and i want more britney.
This made me LOL. I'm trying not to get a mental picture of Captain in a school girl outfit singing "Oops! I did it again."

Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,483,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This made me LOL. I'm trying not to get a mental picture of Captain in a school girl outfit singing "Oops! I did it again."
i was a freshman in college when that came out. i remember it very well. nowadays im mainly blasting it in my car during my commute but i can be caught singing it to my daughter for her entertainment.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM

267 posts, read 948,139 times
I noticed this thread on the first day it posted. I could have bet 50 bucks that this was going to be a hot one!

I agree with Northbound on some level, but he lost me at a certain point. He seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about South Jersey in general.

Moving from the NY metro area a while ago, I felt a bit overwhelmed by the Philly fandom that was everywhere. The NY area is nothing like around here. You see a few hats and jerseys here and there, but nothing to the extent of a fall Sunday in South Jersey. It's like a big college town or something on gameday. Though, when we moved here in 2004, it was all Eagles all the time. The Phillies weren't on ANYONE's radar. Now, it almost seems like the reverse.

I felt like it was overwhelming here at first, but it's becoming more "normal" now. I don't have much time for sports anymore with two young kids and a busy life so maybe I just don't care much anymore for who is wearing what.

To me it was never "classless" or "tacky", just very different from what I was used to. Sports just seem higher up on the priority list around here.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM

267 posts, read 948,139 times
Quote:
I don't even know what to say right now..... Really?.... Really?!?!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,053,478 times
Quote:
probably because as a professional athlete, he gets enough attention without making it obvious? if i see a professional athlete out and he's got the logo plastered to his car or on a vanity plate...it confirms that he is who i think he is.

i know a few professional athletes and they LOVE the support they get from their fans.
I'm sure they love the support, that's true. That's how they make tens of millions of dollars throwing a ball around.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:40 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,053,478 times
Quote:
i've been to montreal, as i said above, and i have seen them wear their hockey apparel all over town, as you claim they don't. they LOVE their hockey. so you obviously don't know what you are talking about. i spend a helluva lot more time in NYC than you do, and I can assure you...sports apparel has a prominent place in the city.
I think Montreal has parts of the city where people wouldn't wear sports apparel. The hipsters, etc. Same as Manhattan or any major city really.

But as soon as you get outside of that, Canadians are total sports fanatics.

Montreal is also a very unfriendly city to visit, but that could probably be a different thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia