Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 14,391 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I am looking for an apartment that is 10-15 min driving to brigg's road, mount laurel and close to a rail tranport (which should bewalkable) to phily. Can go upto 1600-1700 for a good apt. Please let me know of the areas we can look for staying? I know there are quite a few stations in the patco rail line but the constraint is that it should be walking distance to the rail station and preferably with good walk score. (to parks, playarea and basic shopping like groceries). Please help

Thanks,
gues123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
Haddonfield would be your best bet as the downtown is very walkable with a train station to Philly. It is pricy but you should be able to find a nice rental for 1600-1700. However, your drive to Mount Laurel would be more like 25-30min in rush hour.

Another good/cheaper option is Collingswood but it would put you slightly further from Mount Laurel.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
You're not going to get what you want and still be within that 10-15 minute drive. The closest PATCO stations to Brigg's Rd. is going to be Woodcrest or Ashland as you can hop on 295 and head north from there for work. However, neither area is exactly walkable or offer the kind of amenities you want you want in walkable distance.

The other option is living along the RiverLine in Burlington County, which would mean Cinnaminson for apartments. However, you are again sort of not in an exactly walkable area to everything you want and your drive would still probably push 20 minutes. Also, from that end, you aren't on a direct train to Philly and would need to switch to PATCO in Camden.

You might want to check out Abitaire in Voorhees as that comes sort of close or Robin Hill in Voorhees, though it is a little lower end than your price range would indicate. Abitaire has more convenient shopping and amenities, but is a longer walk to PATCO across a major road. Robin Hill is more isolated with no walkalbe amenity access, but is a short walk to PATCO. Both are similar drives to Brigg's Rd.

In Cinnaminson, you may want to check out the Cove at Cinnaminson Harbor. Higher end apartments, that offer some amenities, but not much in the way of shopping. You also have a RiverLine stop right out your front door. The drive would be a bit easier than from Voorhees.

Outside of that JerzBoy's suggestions of Collingswood and Haddonfield are good as they satisfy every need, but the commute.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The priority is to be within walkable distance (to public transport) from the apt and still be not far away in terms of driving to Mt Laurel. If there are no shops,restaurants at walking distance is also its fine but i guess the rent range ( upto 1700) should be able to get me a good apt with amenities like playarea and walking track within the apt complex itself.If you are aware of such apt (preferaly) in haddonfield pls let me know. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Haddonfield would be your best bet as the downtown is very walkable with a train station to Philly. It is pricy but you should be able to find a nice rental for 1600-1700. However, your drive to Mount Laurel would be more like 25-30min in rush hour.

Another good/cheaper option is Collingswood but it would put you slightly further from Mount Laurel.
Yes haddonfield has been suggested and it seemed good to me. But do you think there will be shortcuts to avoid the rush hour traffic and reduce the time and stress?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gues123 View Post
Yes haddonfield has been suggested and it seemed good to me. But do you think there will be shortcuts to avoid the rush hour traffic and reduce the time and stress?
Not really. From Haddonfield, the quickest way to Mt. Laurel in the morning is probably going to be to go down Warwick Rd. and picking up 295 North in Lawnside. The alternate would be to go down Haddon Ave., stay right at the split and take Haddonfield-Berlin Rd. to 295 North in Cherry Hill. With all the construction right now, both are probably an equal drive time of around 20 minutes. Without the construction I think Warwick would be faster as less people go that way.

As far as I know, there really aren't any apartment complexes in Haddonfield. Any rentals there, will be houses, apartments above stores or converted buildings. Chances are none of these are going to have complex amenities. If you want something like that, you are looking at Abitaire in Voorhees or any of several complexes in Cherry Hill or the aforementioned Cinnaminson Harbor. However, those locations mean giving up on the easy walk to the train to Philly or the direct train to Philly in the case of Cinnaminson.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies. I will consider your advice when looking for an apartment for sure.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gues123 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The priority is to be within walkable distance (to public transport) from the apt and still be not far away in terms of driving to Mt Laurel. If there are no shops,restaurants at walking distance is also its fine but i guess the rent range ( upto 1700) should be able to get me a good apt with amenities like playarea and walking track within the apt complex itself.If you are aware of such apt (preferaly) in haddonfield pls let me know. Thanks in advance.
Haddonfield is a very nice, small, town. It dates to the colonial era. There are 2 apartment buildings in town, that I know of. One is on Haddon Ave. & the other is at the intersection of Kings Highway & Potter St. I believe that both tend to have elderly residents.

What you asked for does not exist. You will have to compromise almost on everything. Where are you relocating from?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 AM

283 posts, read 607,060 times
I've lived in both Haddonfield and Collingswood and I work in Cherry Hill/Mount Laurel (right on the border). I just looked at Briggs Rd. on a map and I would suggest Collingswood over Haddonfield if you're concerned about your commute. 295N in the morning can be slow moving until exit 32/34, especially once school starts in the fall. Plus, you need to get to 295, which will take 11 minutes from downtown Haddonfield via Haddon Ave/Ellis Street. Cuthbert Blvd in the morning does not back up and provides direct access (4 minutes) to 38E to your workplace. You will have more distance and stop lights on 38, but you will avoid inconsistent traffic jams on 295N. Also, not sure what you mean by "play area." If you have kids, Haddonfield is a far suprerior school district and could be worth the sacrifice on commute time.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
I've lived in both Haddonfield and Collingswood and I work in Cherry Hill/Mount Laurel (right on the border). I just looked at Briggs Rd. on a map and I would suggest Collingswood over Haddonfield if you're concerned about your commute. 295N in the morning can be slow moving until exit 32/34, especially once school starts in the fall. Plus, you need to get to 295, which will take 11 minutes from downtown Haddonfield via Haddon Ave/Ellis Street. Cuthbert Blvd in the morning does not back up and provides direct access (4 minutes) to 38E to your workplace. You will have more distance and stop lights on 38, but you will avoid inconsistent traffic jams on 295N. Also, not sure what you mean by "play area." If you have kids, Haddonfield is a far suprerior school district and could be worth the sacrifice on commute time.
Taking Kings Highway north from Haddonfielld to Lenola Road also gets you to Rt 38, & with a lot less hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia