Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM

23 posts, read 84,669 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I would be leaving every day from Marlton, so to me it seems kind of strange to start off in NJ, go all the way west to PA and hop on Amtrak at 30th St and riding back to NJ to get to Newark. Also, isn't Amtrak significantly more expensive than NJ Transit? So I guess I'd lean towards either driving to the RiverLine and riding it to Trenton, then taking NJ Transit Northeast Corridor to Newark. Other option would be driving to Hamilton Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,326 times
Going into Philadelphia just to take expensive Amtrak back into NJ is just as idiotic as commuting daily from Gloucester County to Manhattan NYC.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:07 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsphan08 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I would be leaving every day from Marlton, so to me it seems kind of strange to start off in NJ, go all the way west to PA and hop on Amtrak at 30th St and riding back to NJ to get to Newark. Also, isn't Amtrak significantly more expensive than NJ Transit? So I guess I'd lean towards either driving to the RiverLine and riding it to Trenton, then taking NJ Transit Northeast Corridor to Newark. Other option would be driving to Hamilton Station.
The RiverLine has 1/2 hour frequency around 7-9pm. That means you could be waiting up to 30 mins if you just missed the light rail. Also, sometimes it's a downscale crowd.

I'd skip it, and look closely into driving and parking right at Hamilton station, or Trenton station.

Another option is for a few days that you can't telecommute, stay at a motel near work , or maybe as south as Bordentown (exit 7), where it's cheaper, and anywhere in between. Closer to Newark - see if the lodging has free parking. Say 1 or 2 nights a week, it'd help cut the drain of commuting. Check choicehotels.com and use your AAA number if you are a member (you'll get under $100/night), or check the major hotels.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
you can actually use the train to newark and transfer to the montclair line at newark broad street you don't have to endure the pain at all. Plus a rail ticket to montclair can be purchesed for direct travel not multiple tickets. Or use Go28 at newark which makes Limited stops. You don't have to drive for that.
yeah, but i gotta take a cab to 30th street station, change trains in trenton before i take the train to penn station newark to montclair.

eff it, i'll drive

Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,244 times
Your best bet is to drive to Trenton, Hamilton or Princeton Junction stations and take the NEC to Newark. Express trains run during rush hour and are jammed packed with commuters, so your not the only one commuting from SJ/Philly to NYC/North Jersey.

I saw a story of a guy who commutes from suburban Philadelphia to Midtown Manhattan everyday.

There is also a bus from exit 5 off the turnpike to NYC. I think Academy Bus Lines operate the service.

Good Luck

Many folks commute 1-2hrs into NYC/Newark everyday

Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, but i gotta take a cab to 30th street station, change trains in trenton before i take the train to penn station newark to montclair.

eff it, i'll drive
NOPE ya don't keep it simple use riverline then use express trains to newark penn with ur monthly use any bus or lightrail to get montclair trains it's just easy learn ur transit buddy

Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC347 View Post
Your best bet is to drive to Trenton, Hamilton or Princeton Junction stations and take the NEC to Newark. Express trains run during rush hour and are jammed packed with commuters, so your not the only one commuting from SJ/Philly to NYC/North Jersey.

I saw a story of a guy who commutes from suburban Philadelphia to Midtown Manhattan everyday.

There is also a bus from exit 5 off the turnpike to NYC. I think Academy Bus Lines operate the service.

Good Luck

Many folks commute 1-2hrs into NYC/Newark everyday
yes complete utter madness!!!!!!! The cheapest way to commute is actually greyhound whose unlimited discovery bi monthly pass is $540 for 2 months on all greyhound buses. Yes even newark.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
NOPE ya don't keep it simple use riverline then use express trains to newark penn with ur monthly use any bus or lightrail to get montclair trains it's just easy learn ur transit buddy
You still don't understand how complex and annoying that is to do , this isn't NYC where things are simply.....

Old 07-24-2011, 12:46 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
And it would take a year to get there. To be clear, you're recommending:

RiverLine to Trenton (although I think johnstarks lives in Philly so he'd use SEPTA instead)
NEC to Newark Penn
Newark LRT to Broad ST Station
M-BLine to Montclair

That's FOUR trains, two of which have terrible levels of service. Nobody in their right mind would do that on a regular basis.

I used NJT's itinerary planner to see the best way to get from Philly to Montclair. It suggests using SEPTA, NEC to Secaucus, then Montclair-Boonton Line. The trip takes 3 hours, assuming you don't miss any of the connections. And then of course add travel time from home to 30th Street Station, and from whichever station in Montclair to the office. Could be a 4 hour trip door-to-door!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

155 posts, read 371,877 times
Actually, depending I guess on where in NYC you are going, I found out my buddy actually started taking Greyhound everyday. It's closer to his house and it drops him off like 10 blocks from work or something like that.
Something to maybe look into. I believe it is cheaper for him as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia