U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM

250 posts, read 490,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Haddonfield is an ideal town. No reason not to move there.
I couldn't agree with you more. If I had a better budget to work with, I would consider moving there.

The only bummer about the Haddonfield Patco stop is that they don't get the express trains. You have to start out at Lindenwold, Ashland, Woodcrest, or Ferry to get every train.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM

12,033 posts, read 10,644,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmja View Post
Hi there. I've been a long time "lurker" on these forums but never posted until now. My family and I (wife and 2 young boys - 3 yrs old and 4 months old) are seriously contemplating a move to Haddonfield, NJ, from Queens, and I was hoping to get the skinny on the town from the good people of this forum. Haddonfield seems to me to be, honestly, an ideal place to raise a family and, aside from the property taxes, not excessively expensive (by NYC standards, anyway).

So my question is - is there any reason NOT to move there?

Also, what are the people like? My wife and I are creative, down-to-earth types, will we fit in?

Are the schools as good as advertised? Good sports for the kids? Playgrounds, etc?

Any and all info from people in the know would be appreciated!
I've known residents of Haddonfield since the 60s. It's an old Quaker town, founded by Elizabeth Haddon, whose father got the land as a grant. The natives & long-term residents are very aware of the town's history. Some sections of Haddonfield were "old money" for generations.

Because of the town's Quaker heritage, the "flash" associated with new money was looked down on. There isn't so much "old money" in Haddonfield now, but the town is still known as being sedate, which makes it a great place to raise kids.

When Cherry Hill was building out, new money came to a couple of developments, not that they were unwelcome in Haddonfield, but because they wanted a flashier lifestyle than they would have had in Haddonfield. Haddonfield was dry (not a big deal) but there were very strict blue laws. The blue laws were relaxed in the last 10 - 15 years because borough officials realized that it was no big deal to drive across the line into Cherry Hill to shop & business owners were losing money.

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM

1,861 posts, read 1,357,949 times
I like the fact that there are a bunch of churches on Kings Highway. I'm not even Christian haha, I just like the architecture, and it gives the area a nice old-town vibe.

How is housing in Haddonfield? The only ones I ever see are pretty small since I don't usually venture that far off Grove St. or Haddon Ave. In Voorhees, I'd say the average house is maybe 2500 sq. ft. Is that something you can find in Haddonfield?

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:34 AM

12,033 posts, read 10,644,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I like the fact that there are a bunch of churches on Kings Highway. I'm not even Christian haha, I just like the architecture, and it gives the area a nice old-town vibe.

How is housing in Haddonfield? The only ones I ever see are pretty small since I don't usually venture that far off Grove St. or Haddon Ave. In Voorhees, I'd say the average house is maybe 2500 sq. ft. Is that something you can find in Haddonfield?
There are lots of old Victorians, some colonials, & some federal period houses. There's a building on Kings Highway that is documented as having been converted in 2 different time periods, that belonged to one of my ancestors. He died in 1782.

ETA: One of the Victorians was turned into a B&B. This is their photo gallery. http://www.haddonfieldinn.com/photos...746&alblist=no

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-16-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:24 AM

13,544 posts, read 13,056,504 times
Quote:

Turn onto Warwick Rd. from Kings Highway and head towards Lawnside/Barrington and 295. You will see some of the larger Haddonfield homes, some are borderline estates, lol.

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM

13,544 posts, read 13,056,504 times
Quote:
Well Woodcrest is in Cherry Hill, and a lot of people in Cherry Hill take the speedline out of Haddonfield as well.
True, you still have access to the train, but if you live in Haddonfield itself, walking or biking to the PATCO stop is not outside of the realm of possibility from most sections. Short of living in Woodcrest or Ashland sections of Cherry Hill (which are nice, but aren't exactly the same socio-economic level as Haddonfield), you are pretty much going to be driving to the train station.

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:41 AM

25,128 posts, read 16,534,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmja View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! They are extremely helpful, as I knew they would be. This forum has always been such an asset to me as I look for a place to raise my family.

I was aware of the issues brought up about Haddonfield but, as you all seem to insinuate, they don't outweigh what is a beautiful town with great schools, excellent proximity to an urban center, etc. Well...unless there are dinosaurs. That might be a problem.

Thank you again! If there are more thoughts, please keep them coming!
Aw, he looks kind of friendly!

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

Unread 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM

86 posts, read 112,988 times
I live on the very west side of Cherry Hill, about 2 blocks from Haddonfield. If you can afford it, do it.
It's a very nice quiet town with lots of small shops and restaurants. I ride by bicycle around the east side Haddonfield neighborhoods, all are very nice. Yes, I get the impression there is some old money
in that town. Also, having a PATCO station in town is very convenient.

Unread 07-22-2011, 06:55 PM

723 posts, read 717,294 times
My wife, I & two young kids (3 & 1) moved to the area about 6 months ago from NYC. We were shooting for Haddonfield and settled on a Cherry Hill area very close by. Its great so far.

Love Haddonfield... but the houses we looked at all seemed to lack something whether it be a foyer, enough closets or a yard. Some of the yards are TINY. What you can get would obviously depend on your price range. There are some ridiculously beautiful homes.... so if you are in that price range... you are set!

The town/ area is great. Haddonfield is DRY but areas nearby have options (Collingswood ... or even Philly).

Unread 07-23-2011, 04:41 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,648,809 times
Collingswood is also dry, but Haddon Township is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia