U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,166 times
Default Any reason NOT to move to Haddonfield, NJ?

Hi there. I've been a long time "lurker" on these forums but never posted until now. My family and I (wife and 2 young boys - 3 yrs old and 4 months old) are seriously contemplating a move to Haddonfield, NJ, from Queens, and I was hoping to get the skinny on the town from the good people of this forum. Haddonfield seems to me to be, honestly, an ideal place to raise a family and, aside from the property taxes, not excessively expensive (by NYC standards, anyway).

So my question is - is there any reason NOT to move there?

Also, what are the people like? My wife and I are creative, down-to-earth types, will we fit in?

Are the schools as good as advertised? Good sports for the kids? Playgrounds, etc?

Any and all info from people in the know would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,074,353 times
Haddonfield is a nice town. Lots of families and lots of kids. There are "creative types" that live here as well but are surely the minority. Taxes are high but in respect to the surrounding area not that much more if at all. Houses are older in general so that is a plus/negative depending on your taste/desires. Right now lots of street construction so that sucks but long term a good thing.

Can't speak for the playgrounds/schools since i don't have kids. But never hear a bad thing about them.

Any specific questions or anything I will try my best to answer.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM

7,789 posts, read 9,222,702 times
Haddonfield is an ideal place to raise a family.. Schools, parks, restaurants are second to none.. Here are some links to read about it..

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

Haddonfield, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shophaddonfieldnj.com, a website all about Shopping in Haddonfield featuring the Shop Haddonfield Club, retail specials and Town events

First Night Haddonfield 2012

Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,516,429 times
Hmm the only things I can think of are 1.) it's not very diverse and 2.) it's a dry town. Both of these may or may not matter to you. A #3 I could think of is that Haddonfield High School has a very small enrollment, only about 800 kids. But like I just mentioned, this may be something you prefer.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM

140 posts, read 129,957 times
I'm a fan of Haddonfield. We live in Cherry Hill, but drive to Haddonfield a few times a week just to walk the dog or get something to eat...etc.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM

278 posts, read 226,242 times
Also, not sure if you're planning on more kids or not, but if you are, keep in mind that due to the older housing stock and location, bigger houses will carry a premium. You're not going to find huge McMansions in Haddonfield like you may be able to find in Cherry Hill East or Moorestown. It's an old money town with old houses, as suggested. While you're down here and looking, you may want to check out Cherry Hill East and Moorestown as well, as those are among the "premier" school systems and each has benefits/disadvantages. Cherry Hill being a very large district with more enrollment, potentially more niche opportunities for kids in schools but the problems that come with bigger systems. Moorestown also having very affluent residents, smaller than Cherry Hill, a very good school system, etc -- it's kind of the Haddonfield of Burlington County in a way, but no train access.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM

13,569 posts, read 14,786,130 times
There really aren't any good reasons not to move to Haddonfield, unless you are looking for diversity and newer style housing. Outside of that, I've never heard a complaint and it's in an ideal location, convenient to everything, a great downtown and has direct train service to Philly.

The other comparable communities as mentioned are sections of Cherry Hill and Moorestown. Cherry Hill gets you more diversity and more variety in housing stock, but isn't so much a "town" as a cluster of developments. Moorestown is about the same as Haddonfield in terms of diversity, but is a little larger and has much greater variety in housing from colonial era homes to brand new "McMansions", there is a downtown but it is not nearly as vibrant as Haddonfields. In either one you would also lose the easy access to the train to Philly, but that may not be a huge deal.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 PM

908 posts, read 884,348 times
Haddonfield is an ideal town. No reason not to move there.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,516,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
In either one you would also lose the easy access to the train to Philly, but that may not be a huge deal.
Well Woodcrest is in Cherry Hill, and a lot of people in Cherry Hill take the speedline out of Haddonfield as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,166 times
Thank you everyone for your replies! They are extremely helpful, as I knew they would be. This forum has always been such an asset to me as I look for a place to raise my family.

I was aware of the issues brought up about Haddonfield but, as you all seem to insinuate, they don't outweigh what is a beautiful town with great schools, excellent proximity to an urban center, etc. Well...unless there are dinosaurs. That might be a problem.

Thank you again! If there are more thoughts, please keep them coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia