Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Up North View Post
. it seems that most of the houses we saw for sale over a year ago are still on the market and that has cautioned us against it as well.
I just had a peek on Trulia and found that a lot of the homes we were looking at in Moorestown back in April are still on the market, too. I think it is ofcourse due to the market/economy, but also because they are largely older homes that require a lot of updating. Our painter was saying he gets a lot of work in Moorestown.

If you haven't looked at Medford yet, i still think it might be worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM

108 posts, read 340,363 times
Default Thank you for the insight and suggestions. I do need to visit the schools as well.

We had been trying to move to Newtown, Pa for the past year and either are finding houses too big or too small, not much in between (except for ones needing major work..been there, don't want to do it again!) So we focused on that for so long before discovering Moorestown. I guess I need to get more of a feel by visiting again. Also need to get over the higher cost of living in NJ. My daughter also dances (Irish dance)competitively so we need to find her a good school. That pretty much keeps us out of other nice areas that are more rural(Mullica/Medford etc). She dances at least 4 times per week so I'd prefer not to drive too far for that (although at this point we may have to go to Philly and that makes me nervous). I do like the open space in Moorestown but yet its closeness to all major shopping. The "snob factor" and cost of living in NJ are scaring me but maybe another visit or two will help. I haven't gotten any replies to my Irish dance school post, so the fact that we may have to go to Blue Bell or Philly or Newtown for dance might put the squash on it too!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
We had been trying to move to Newtown, Pa for the past year and either are finding houses too big or too small, not much in between (except for ones needing major work..been there, don't want to do it again!) So we focused on that for so long before discovering Moorestown. I guess I need to get more of a feel by visiting again. Also need to get over the higher cost of living in NJ. My daughter also dances (Irish dance)competitively so we need to find her a good school. That pretty much keeps us out of other nice areas that are more rural(Mullica/Medford etc). She dances at least 4 times per week so I'd prefer not to drive too far for that (although at this point we may have to go to Philly and that makes me nervous). I do like the open space in Moorestown but yet its closeness to all major shopping. The "snob factor" and cost of living in NJ are scaring me but maybe another visit or two will help. I haven't gotten any replies to my Irish dance school post, so the fact that we may have to go to Blue Bell or Philly or Newtown for dance might put the squash on it too!
There have been a couple of Irish dance schools in the area for many years. Since I'm no longer in the area, I don't know if they're still in business.

The main "snob factor" in South Jersey is old money vs new money which you can find anywhere, but it's perceived as a bit more amplified in the MidAtlantic & the South.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
I know that Voorhees has a lot of dance schools and competitions, so there's a good possibility that there is an Irish dance school as well. I'm not sure though.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:43 PM

108 posts, read 340,363 times
Default Thanks! Another ?, about in ground pools...

Does anyone know how much an in ground pool cost to maintain? How much to open and close them? Monthy cost to heat? For chemicals?
Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how much an in ground pool cost to maintain? How much to open and close them? Monthy cost to heat? For chemicals?
Any insight would be appreciated!
You'll get more answers, if you start a new thread.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
Budget $2,500 a year for maintenance, cleaning, water, etc. More if you run the pool heater into the fall and in the spring. Also set aside a couple grand a year for the new liner or the refinishing of the gunite every 5 years or so.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM

30 posts, read 60,222 times
Collingswood is a lot less expensive than Moorestown or Haddonfield and has a "downtown" area. But the small yard thing may still be a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia