U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,177 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. As we research, we have come to the conclusion that Haddonfield is too expensive for us. Based on suggestions, we are broadening our list to include the following:

Cherokee HS, Marlton
Cherry Hill East
Clearview Regional, Mullica Hill
Eastern HS, Voorhees
Kingsway Regional, Woolwich Twp
Moorestown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM

13,569 posts, read 14,794,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfin View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. As we research, we have come to the conclusion that Haddonfield is too expensive for us. Based on suggestions, we are broadening our list to include the following:

Cherokee HS, Marlton
Cherry Hill East
Clearview Regional, Mullica Hill
Eastern HS, Voorhees
Kingsway Regional, Woolwich Twp
Moorestown
All of them are very good schools, but are in different areas with different feels. What are you looking for in terms of housing and your budget? Also, where are you commuting to for work and how much of a commute can you handle? Answering thsoe questions may help as narrow down your choices.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
All of them are very good schools, but are in different areas with different feels. What are you looking for in terms of housing and your budget? Also, where are you commuting to for work and how much of a commute can you handle? Answering thsoe questions may help as narrow down your choices.
We are looking for a 4br 2ba house with a basement. Our rental budget is $2,500 to $3,000. I am leaning toward a neighborhood feel where the kids (ages 14 and 11) can meet or be close to other kids. The bigger houses and lots are tempting down south in Mullica and Woolwich, but seem to lose that "get to know your neighbors" feeling since they are so spread out. My wife doesn't want a yard that feels really "woodsy" or super shady, if you know what I mean.

I'll be commuting to Camden (on the waterfront) and was thinking I'd spend up to 45 minutes. Is the high speed line a reasonable option into Camden? Not sure what that walk to the train station at night might be like.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM

13,569 posts, read 14,794,553 times
Quote:
We are looking for a 4br 2ba house with a basement. Our rental budget is $2,500 to $3,000. I am leaning toward a neighborhood feel where the kids (ages 14 and 11) can meet or be close to other kids. The bigger houses and lots are tempting down south in Mullica and Woolwich, but seem to lose that "get to know your neighbors" feeling since they are so spread out. My wife doesn't want a yard that feels really "woodsy" or super shady, if you know what I mean.

I'll be commuting to Camden (on the waterfront) and was thinking I'd spend up to 45 minutes. Is the high speed line a reasonable option into Camden? Not sure what that walk to the train station at night might be like.
Given what you want, I would highly recommend Moorestown. You should find ample properties in your budget and it has that neighborhood feel you want.

Woolwich and Mullica are very nice (it's the area I live in) but it is more rural and spread out with not much of a town feel to it. You are also pretty well isolated if you don't have access to a car. Though houses in the developments, especially in Woolwich, are clustered pretty tight and just like any other neighborhood. The problem is your childs friend may live in another development that is 4 or 5 miles away.

Voorhees might be a good option, but again it is rather spread out with no real definable downtown area, same thing with Marlton and the other Lenape Regional towns. They have areas that are the downtown, but they aren't what most want in a traditional main street, neighborhood kind of thing. Cherry Hill falls into this as well. All three towns are great places to live, but they don't seem to match what you are looking for.

So, that leaves Moorestown which I think matches your needs pretty well. Commute wise you would have an easy drive down Route 38 in the morning. If you wanted to take the train you could hop on the Riverline in Cinnaminson and take that directly to the waterfront. PATCO is an option, but depending on where you are at the waterfront, it's not exactly door-to-door service and would require up to a 5 or 6 block walk, not bad during the day, but definitely sketchy at night. I think the vast majority of people who work on the waterfront in Camden drive, with the only mass transit commuters being a handful students to the Rutgers campus. Also, the train will most likely cost you more than what it would cost in gas to just drive.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM

17,580 posts, read 18,159,516 times
Quote:
Except for the basement part my neigborhood sounds like it would fit your requirements. Kings Grant in Marlton. I know there are ususally a few houses for rent. Might want to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia