Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 AM

34 posts, read 126,499 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine is looking in to the Bordentown area. Is the area diverse and friendly? It appears the grade schools are strong. Is there much to do around there? He just got married and is moving to the area for his job. The housing stock in Bordentown looks relatively new. Anything else to write about the town? I appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
chickie and petes?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM

34 posts, read 126,499 times
Chickie and Petes is great! Is the town just known for it's diners and sports bars? Anything else to it?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Bordentown has a nice little downtown area where they have various events throughout the year. It's not as active as downtowns in say Collingswood or Haddonfield, but it's nice. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about living there.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Bordentown has a nice little downtown area where they have various events throughout the year. It's not as active as downtowns in say Collingswood or Haddonfield, but it's nice. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about living there.
true its very tiny riverline gave it life

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

208 posts, read 544,972 times
reposting from the main NJ forums, hopefully i'll get more info from the regulars here:

So my wife and I decided to take things slow and rent for a year before buying a place in central NJ. I will be working in New Brunswick. We are looking at places with walkable downtowns...in a previous thread, we got excellent advice so as to narrow down our search to a few small towns (including Metuchen, Highland Park, and Somerville).

We recently visited Bordentown City, however, and were blown away by its tiny but cute/quaint/picturesque downtown. Even though it is a little far from NB, I figured it's doable, since the Hamilton train station is just 15 minutes away (so that I could be in NB in less than 40 minutes) or even take the Riverline to Trenton to avoid driving altogether.

Having said all that, I have some questions for people who know that area well:

1. Is the Riverline safe during day time? I just thought that might be an issue given the fact that it runs between Camden and Trenton.

2. Is Bordentown itself a stable community? I noticed that there aren't that many homes on sale within the city and that the houses are all well-kept. Hoping that this is a good sign. I would be curious to hear from current residents on where they think Bordentown is headed in the near future. I'm asking this because statistically it looks like the population of the city has been slowly declining since the 1960s.

3. I noticed that there are some seedy establishments on the 206, is there any crime or unpleasantness downtown stemming from these?

4. This question can include not just Bordentown but places like Titusville, Ewing, Hamilton, and Lawrenceville as well: is there substantial crime bleed from Trenton into these communities?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
1. Is the Riverline safe during day time? I just thought that might be an issue given the fact that it runs between Camden and Trenton.
Yes, the RiverLine is safe at all times.

Quote:
2. Is Bordentown itself a stable community? I noticed that there aren't that many homes on sale within the city and that the houses are all well-kept. Hoping that this is a good sign. I would be curious to hear from current residents on where they think Bordentown is headed in the near future. I'm asking this because statistically it looks like the population of the city has been slowly declining since the 1960s.
Bordentown is a stable community that is on the upswing since the RiverLine was added and the downtown was revitalized. For a long time Bordentown was really just the city itself and the surrounding farmland. Now, that farmland is dotted with higher end developments built over the past 5-15 years and the area is gaining in popularity again. I have two coworkers who live in the developments and they couldn't be happier. This popularity has spilled over into the town itself and the neighborhoods are getting nicer and "gentrifying". Before the RiverLine brought access, there was almost no point in living there for a commuter.

Quote:
3. I noticed that there are some seedy establishments on the 206, is there any crime or unpleasantness downtown stemming from these?
Bordentown has a pretty low crimerate and the 206 corridor is removed from the actual town, so there isn't really any spill over. The 206 corridor itself has also been improving do to the growth in the area and the influence of the shopping areas in Hamilton. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
4. This question can include not just Bordentown but places like Titusville, Ewing, Hamilton, and Lawrenceville as well: is there substantial crime bleed from Trenton into these communities?
The only area on that list above that has any issues is Ewing. Ewing has a lot of "spill over" from Trenton and driving through, you'd be hard pressed to really tell the difference between Trenton and Ewing, they just kind of run together. So, that is the only area I would definitely take off the list.

Titusville is part of Hopewell Twp. and it is a very nice, higher income area. Actual Titusville is a nice little village in the township with nice parks and older homes. This was the area where Washington crossed the Delaware and the home of the annual re-enactment. Hopewell Township also completely surrounds the independent boroughs of Pennington and Hopewell, which may also be worth a look.

Lawrenceville is part of Lawrence Township and is another nice area. The actual historic downtown which is called Lawrenceville Village is the kind of place you seem to be looking for.

Hamliton is a nice area, but it comes down to where in Hamilton. The Township is basically a collection of villages with no real core and there are nicer higher end areas and more middle class areas. There are also a lot of "active adult" communities there and this has been the dominant form of new construction. Overall, while it's a nice area, I don't know if it really has what you are looking for other then location.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Yes, the RiverLine is safe at all times.

Bordentown is a stable community that is on the upswing since the RiverLine was added and the downtown was revitalized. For a long time Bordentown was really just the city itself and the surrounding farmland. Now, that farmland is dotted with higher end developments built over the past 5-15 years and the area is gaining in popularity again. I have two coworkers who live in the developments and they couldn't be happier. This popularity has spilled over into the town itself and the neighborhoods are getting nicer and "gentrifying". Before the RiverLine brought access, there was almost no point in living there for a commuter.

Bordentown has a pretty low crimerate and the 206 corridor is removed from the actual town, so there isn't really any spill over. The 206 corridor itself has also been improving do to the growth in the area and the influence of the shopping areas in Hamilton. I wouldn't worry about it.

The only area on that list above that has any issues is Ewing. Ewing has a lot of "spill over" from Trenton and driving through, you'd be hard pressed to really tell the difference between Trenton and Ewing, they just kind of run together. So, that is the only area I would definitely take off the list.

Titusville is part of Hopewell Twp. and it is a very nice, higher income area. Actual Titusville is a nice little village in the township with nice parks and older homes. This was the area where Washington crossed the Delaware and the home of the annual re-enactment. Hopewell Township also completely surrounds the independent boroughs of Pennington and Hopewell, which may also be worth a look.

Lawrenceville is part of Lawrence Township and is another nice area. The actual historic downtown which is called Lawrenceville Village is the kind of place you seem to be looking for.

Hamliton is a nice area, but it comes down to where in Hamilton. The Township is basically a collection of villages with no real core and there are nicer higher end areas and more middle class areas. There are also a lot of "active adult" communities there and this has been the dominant form of new construction. Overall, while it's a nice area, I don't know if it really has what you are looking for other then location.
Thank you NJGoat, this is all extremely useful. We too loved Lawrenceville Village (walked around a bit a few weeks ago, past the ice cream shop etc.), but we would have to borrow way more than we could afford to buy in that part of Lawrence Twship.

Hopefully a nice house or two within our budget in Bordentown will hit the market by 2013

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I agree that the Riverline is very safe during the day. It does not run at night. Don't know much about Bordentown though, sorry. Have not heard any bad about it so that in its self a good thing.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I agree that the Riverline is very safe during the day. It does not run at night. Don't know much about Bordentown though, sorry. Have not heard any bad about it so that in its self a good thing.
I realize that it is currently under renovation, but does the RL usually run on time? Just curious because I would have to transfer to the NY train in less than 15 minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia