U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 PM

154 posts, read 165,422 times

Advertisements

A "Tax Assessor" came to our home yesterday and asked to measure our property, both front yard and the fenced-in back yard. My wife allowed her access to the rear yardwhere she even measured the Garden Shed in the back.
Naturally, my wife was a little confused and unsure when the person asked to come INSIDE our home to take measurements! We are new in the area and I was at work, and we never have had anyone say they needed to come measure our property (except by the bank when we were selling, in order to update their records or something); so when the person asked to come inside, my wife politely asked for the visitor to come later when I was home.
My question is this: Is it common practice for County Tax Assessors (AS Apprasal Systems) to come to a home unannounced, and request to measure property outside and then request entrance into a private home in order to "take measurements"?
Is this the way the county (Gloucester) conducts its Tax assessments?
Just very curious (and a little shocked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM

13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
A "Tax Assessor" came to our home yesterday and asked to measure our property, both front yard and the fenced-in back yard. My wife allowed her access to the rear yardwhere she even measured the Garden Shed in the back.
Naturally, my wife was a little confused and unsure when the person asked to come INSIDE our home to take measurements! We are new in the area and I was at work, and we never have had anyone say they needed to come measure our property (except by the bank when we were selling, in order to update their records or something); so when the person asked to come inside, my wife politely asked for the visitor to come later when I was home.
My question is this: Is it common practice for County Tax Assessors (AS Apprasal Systems) to come to a home unannounced, and request to measure property outside and then request entrance into a private home in order to "take measurements"?
Is this the way the county (Gloucester) conducts its Tax assessments?
Just very curious (and a little shocked).
Check your town's website to see if they are conducting reassessments.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 PM

I just looked up the info about the revaluations going on in the county ( Gloucester County, NJ. Website - Revaluations ), and see that it's legit. Even the home owner's interior assessments. wow. (Nice disclamer that it doesn't mean taxes will go up lol....maybe I shouldn't have spent all that time and money painting and fixing the place up lol)

Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,801,379 times
When my town had a reval., I received notification in the mail. It explains the process and what you can expect. Someone did come into my house, but I don't recall anyone measuring. I think they're looking for improvements and room counting. i.e.: three bedrooms, dining room, finished basement, etc.

My taxes went down $1,000.00...a rarity.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 18 days ago)

13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
Gloucester County just embarked on a new county wide program to do all assessments on a 3-year rotating basis. Depending on where you live you are either getting done this year, next year or the following year and re-assessed every 3 years thereafter. My town is in the third year cycle, so I have two more years before we get re-assessed. The goal is to make the property assessments somewhat inline with actual market value as most homes in the county haven't been assessed in decades.

The point of the taxes not necessarily going up is valid. It all depends on your situation. During an assessment the total taxes collected will not increase, but the distribution of those taxes and the tax rate itself will change. Taxes are done on a formula like this:

Assessed Value * Dollars per Assessed Thousand = Tax Liability.

A good example of what can happen during an assessment is my town (Logan) which has not been assessed in a LONG time. In fact, most homes are assessed at their values from when they were constructed 20 or 30 years ago. Take an illustrative example of my house versus a home in another development in Logan using fake numbers:

My House built 1993 - 3BR, 2.5BA, .21 acres, 2,200 sq.ft. Assessed at $138k, $28.98 per thousand, taxes = ~$4,000

Other House built 1981 - 4BR. 2.5BA, .35 acres, 2,500 sq.ft. Assessed at $124k, $28.98 per thousand, taxes = ~$3,600

It is pretty clear that the larger home is undervalued compared to mine, especially since the market value of "other" is about $50k higher. So when they do the re-assessment, the town will rebalance this across the developments based on the new assessed values, but the total amount of taxes collected will stay the same, in this example $7,600.

My House - Newly assessed at $225,000

Other House - Newly Assessed at $275,000

The tax rate per thousand changes to $15.20. My taxes will now be $3,420. The other house will be $4,180. This nets us back to the $7,600 that was originally being collected, but is now fairly balanced across the properties in town based on their actual values.

An easy way to look at the impact for you personally is to check zillow.com as it lists the assessed values and market values for the homes. Look at your house and the assessed value and compare it to other homes assessed values that are similar to, larger and smaller than your own. If you see a situation where your home's assessed value is higher than comparable houses in your market price range, or houses that are worth more than yours, chances are your taxes will go down. If your assessment seems low compared to other homes, chances are your taxes will go up.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM

I see in 2010 the taxes on the property we purchased (.27 acres/1,400 sq ft) was just over $4,300. I did look at generally equivelant homes/values in the same town and see pretty much the same rates.
Any idea when we would learn if the tax will be adjusted (up, down or flat) ?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I see in 2010 the taxes on the property we purchased (.27 acres/1,400 sq ft) was just over $4,300. I did look at generally equivelant homes/values in the same town and see pretty much the same rates.
Any idea when we would learn if the tax will be adjusted (up, down or flat) ?
You want to look at the assessed values and maybe pay attention to homes that are another step or two up from yours. If their values are similar to or lower than yours, then you may be getting adjusted down. If you have an average house for your town and everything is assessed and taxed in the same general range, then they will probably stay the same. If you see a situation where your house is assessed much lower than other comparable homes, your taxes will probably go up.

It sounds like yours will probably stay the same or have a very minor adjustment.

This is a site for the re-evaluations being done in Jersey City, but it explains the entire process very well and what you can expect, especially in the FAQ section. It also details what the time table is for notice of changes and how that works. The information is still relevant for people not in Jersey City as evaluations are done based on state laws.

Tax Assessment

Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM

Well, we got our answer- our Estimated Annual Taxes went up over $600, from $4178.00 in 2011 to $4748 in 2012!!!
Appraisal Systems Inc. put our total Assessed value up from $86,700 to $164,300 in 2012.
Needless to say it was a SHOCK. We just purchased here less than a year ago and the lower taxes were why we looked at this area.
It's sickening. I was told that I could meet with a representative, but that it really would not change anything.
Is this fair???

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM

13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Quote:
Well, we got our answer- our Estimated Annual Taxes went up over $600, from $4178.00 in 2011 to $4748 in 2012!!!
Appraisal Systems Inc. put our total Assessed value up from $86,700 to $164,300 in 2012.
Needless to say it was a SHOCK. We just purchased here less than a year ago and the lower taxes were why we looked at this area.
It's sickening. I was told that I could meet with a representative, but that it really would not change anything.
Is this fair???
I fought a re-assessment in Cherry Hill & won.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Is this fair???
Fair is all relative. Like I said earlier in the thread, it all comes down to what the houses in your town are valued at compared to yours. Obviously, given the size of the increase, your house had been undervalued, at least to the appraisers.

However, I would say that not all hope is lost. You can certainly appeal the decision. Here is the brochure on tax appeals:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...t/ptappeal.pdf

Here is the form you need to fill out:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...pt/petappl.pdf

You only have a limited time to act, generally 45 days from receipt of notice or by May 1st if a municipal wide re-assessment was done, whichever comes first.

A lot of it hinges on recent sales data, basically proving that your property is worth less than they think it is. Sometimes it can also come down to an assessors mistake, for instance saying you have a 4BR house, when you really have a 3BR house.

There are companies and attorney's out there who will help you with this process, for a fee of course. I've been getting mail from one of those companies, so I would be surprised if you didn't as well. The fees seem pretty reasonable compared to what you will be paying in increased taxes, so probably worth the fight.

I did find these guys on a googl search and they are attorney's specializing in property tax appeals in NJ, may be worth checking out:

NJ Tax Appeal Lawyer | New Jersey Property Tax Appeals | NJ Property Taxes

These guys are attorneys as well and have a lot of info on their site:

New Jersey Real Estate Tax Appeals (http://www.propertytaxesnj.com/wordpress/ - broken link)

These guys are real estate appraisers and consultants, they offer a "free" appraisal for the purposes of property tax appeal, may be worth it to call and see what they say:

Tax Appeal Appraisals, FHA Appraisals New Jersey - Brown Dog Consulting, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia