U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:16 PM

7,789 posts, read 9,222,702 times
very serious question here.. Why do some consider public transportation so important? I personally do not know anyone in my neighborhood who does not have a car and not one of then ever used public transportation. I have not either. Personally myself and a large majority of the population do not base an area on whether it has bus routes or train routes or not... It just seems like a very small minority that actually use public transportation on a daily basis. No??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM

115 posts, read 157,032 times
Quote:
Why do some consider public transportation so important?
1. Because many like me read books like this and realize the world cannot support two billion cars.

2. I don't want our country to rely on foreign (or national) oil. At some point, (not in my lifetime) it will run out. But your city has to have a "future plan." Look at the Swiss and Maglev rail in China. Prosperous nations in the future will have a high end rail infrastructure.

3. I like to go to events in the city.

4. I like to have some beers and not worry about driving.

5. I would give up my car in a heartbeat if I could find a good downtown and house with rail to my workplace. I actually lived in Hoboken for a while and did just that. Loved it.

I also think there is a big difference from rail to bus.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:04 PM

12,259 posts, read 11,507,585 times
Keep in mind that the people proposing this are speaking for multiple metros which are each different.

A constant is good schools attract families. County-wide districts do not mean that all of the schools in that district are equal anymore than in the home rule of NJ districts. It just cuts down on overhead.

Camden County will fight having a county-wide district until at least the baby boomers have died off or moved away.

PATCO's original proposal for a Burlington County extention had a spur going through Moorestown. That isn't going to happen because of the Riverline. Expect no major investment in mass transit as long as South Jersey is part of NJ. I can remember unpaved roads in the '60s & '70s. People were not surprised to find them either.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Expect no major investment in mass transit as long as South Jersey is part of NJ.
I think this is just
South Jersey victimhood. For instance, up North many are angry at Christie thinking he is showing South Jersey favoritism by betting on Atlantic City's revitalization.

Overall, I think the benefits to a good downtown are really relevant when a kid gets to middle school. It was cool in my old North Jersey school district when the local HS & MS students would all hang out downtown on Friday evenings after school. They walked from school to the town and hung out at the many food shops. No need for parents to pick them up, they would call, make arrangements, get permission and might even extend it into a weekend sleepover. That's community. And it was safe.

But knowing High School kids, no matter what town they live in, they will lament that there is nothing to do and that the place suucks.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,516,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
very serious question here.. Why do some consider public transportation so important? I personally do not know anyone in my neighborhood who does not have a car and not one of then ever used public transportation. I have not either. Personally myself and a large majority of the population do not base an area on whether it has bus routes or train routes or not... It just seems like a very small minority that actually use public transportation on a daily basis. No??
I believe that if you build it, they will come (and bring other benefits along the way). I know many people who ride the speedline to work in the city everyday, and others who take it on the weekends to go out. Adding rail capacity isn't meant to replace cars, its purpose is in fact to complement roadways. And with traffic as bad as ever, that's a great thing.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I think this is just
South Jersey victimhood. For instance, up North many are angry at Christie thinking he is showing South Jersey favoritism by betting on Atlantic City's revitalization.

Overall, I think the benefits to a good downtown are really relevant when a kid gets to middle school. It was cool in my old North Jersey school district when the local HS & MS students would all hang out downtown on Friday evenings after school. They walked from school to the town and hung out at the many food shops. No need for parents to pick them up, they would call, make arrangements, get permission and might even extend it into a weekend sleepover. That's community. And it was safe.

But knowing High School kids, no matter what town they live in, they will lament that there is nothing to do and that the place suucks.
The secession was removed from the ballots by the state. Camden & Gloucester Counties were involved in the movement. Everyone who I knew planned to vote yes. There is no victomhood involved. Ocean County was not involved.

Where are the NJT trains into Philly?

You are suggesting that everything close to the major cities will thrive. When do you plan to look at properties in Camden?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,516,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Keep in mind that the people proposing this are speaking for multiple metros which are each different.

A constant is good schools attract families. County-wide districts do not mean that all of the schools in that district are equal anymore than in the home rule of NJ districts. It just cuts down on overhead.

Camden County will fight having a county-wide district until at least the baby boomers have died off or moved away.
Obviously, I have reservations (Camden, etc) but this alone could make it worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
PATCO's original proposal for a Burlington County extention had a spur going through Moorestown. That isn't going to happen because of the Riverline. Expect no major investment in mass transit as long as South Jersey is part of NJ. I can remember unpaved roads in the '60s & '70s. People were not surprised to find them either.
I mentioned in another thread that the latest census shows that the population of South Jersey is growing fast as people from North & Central Jersey flood in, as well as a small in-migration within the Philly metro. Trenton has already started looking this way, and I believe this attention will only grow stronger as the years pass. If the demand is high enough, there is no reason why Camden someday cannot be to Philly what Jersey City is to Manhattan or what Arlington is to DC.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The secession was removed from the ballots by the state. Camden & Gloucester Counties were involved in the movement. Everyone who I knew planned to vote yes. There is no victomhood involved. Ocean County was not involved.
Actually Camden & Gloucester were the ONLY South Jersey counties where the referendum was NOT on the ballot. That is because a certain Mr. Jim Florio did not want to anger Trenton. Ocean County WAS involved, but was the only county there to vote "no" on secession.

Quote:
Where are the NJT trains into Philly?
The Atlantic City Line? If you're implying why there was little posted on it, I think it has to do with a lot of things, more to do with Atlantic City's decline and the towns they run through. I think Cherry Hill & Waterford could benefit more from the rail, but as one person said, why Lindenwold is the way it is, is a mystery.

Quote:
You are suggesting that everything close to the major cities will thrive. When do you plan to look at properties in Camden?
No I'm saying that's what the first linked articles/ blogs in this post stated that in the FUTURE these things may happen. I specifically examined the inner ring suburbs first because I believe we can use them as a stick. If all of the towns bordering Camden, start turning into high end suburbs, then yes, I think Camden could eventually be next. But Camden has a wealth of other problems that rail and development alone cannot solve.

A start would be to elect a Rhodes Scholar mayor like Newark did with Cory Booker.

Last edited by Cherno; 11-30-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
If the demand is high enough, there is no reason why Camden someday cannot be to Philly what Jersey City is to Manhattan or what Arlington is to DC.
Tis true, we can dream can't we?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Obviously, I have reservations (Camden, etc) but this alone could make it worth it.

I mentioned in another thread that the latest census shows that the population of South Jersey is growing fast as people from North & Central Jersey flood in, as well as a small in-migration within the Philly metro. Trenton has already started looking this way, and I believe this attention will only grow stronger as the years pass. If the demand is high enough, there is no reason why Camden someday cannot be to Philly what Jersey City is to Manhattan or what Arlington is to DC.
The state promised that they would pay more attention to South Jersey when they took the secession question off of our ballots. Have they fixed that mess at 42 & 295 that's been sitting like that since before my family moved to Cherry Hill in 1964? Where is the NJT rail system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia