U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM

681 posts, read 1,381,915 times

Advertisements

My wish for 2012 is that we continue to draw young hipsters, starter families, young professionals, seniors, cultural, ethnic and GLBT people to the town. That the Lumberyard downgrade does not affect our taxes and that Haddon Avenue forges forward with practicality and out of the box thinking.

As far as the "hole" on Haddon where the next phase is planned, imagined,etc, we now know that it will NOT BE a Trader Joe's. Could it be an actual cluster of townhomes? Not Lumberyard-like 2 bedroom places but architecturally compatible 3 br/ 2.5 bath garage homes? I've always thought the Lumberyard should have beem that from the get-go. Instead of building so many small places, they should have built independent garage townhomes and they would have had likely done better; especially if they built them off of the PATCO tracks and not on top of them. What do I know anyway?

What about a couple of pubs on....eh....I'll leave that alone, too.
Anyway...

I am always glad to see the bright spots in Collingswood. Although I have often been critical of Collingswood's direction or somewhat "lack there of" (I often think the town " where you want to be" often is not sure of what it wants to be), the seemingly surefire bet of restaurants has kept Collingswood sqaurely on the map of best in south Jersey and has even help it to creep into the designation of "Philly neighborhood eateries". Some may see that as a threat to it's small town identity but I see little downside with being assimilated into a a niche of a major metropolitan city. It is starting to seem that major players and investors in the culinary scene have been at least "visiting" Collingswood lately. This either means curiosity due to rumors of our hidden gems or hopefully, new openings on the scene.
My personal favorite would be to fill a mjor niche that Collingswood lacks that I believe would be quite the payoff in the right hands. That being a comfort food breakfast / lunch place. Useing the model of Philly fave's like Sabrina, Morning Glory and Honey Sit & Eat, I see a major draw, especially if poised by PATCO for the "during the week" crowd as well as the Philly train hopping weekenders. yes you can get breakfast at the Pop Shop, but can you get it without 40 screaming children in pajama bottoms?
Moving through the winter and into the warmer months, it appears the outdoor, cafe, Euro style restaurant is the most modern direction from Paris to trendy areas of NYC; I'd love to see this trickle down affect hit Collingswood.
Love to hear other thoughts on direction for the avenue...just please...no more Italian places!! We have some of the best in the region...we just have enough!

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 01-02-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,386,015 times
How about they allow a liquor store to sell wine on Haddon Avenue so people can pick up a bottle before going to the BYOB restaurants?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,589,032 times
How about a real Chinese restaurant or legit steak place.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Well Goat, my guess is this: The have tried a "high end" steak house of recent in a location which now houses a BBQ joint. It's on the Camden end of the ave and I think the location is cursed. It was overpriced and failed miserably. They have El Sitio next to the Pop Shop which bills itself as a Peruvian steak house; we gave it two times and hated it. Despite good reviews in the Courier where the writer found it crowded (?), I never see anyone in there. Then you have the high end William Douglass and Capital Grille right in Cherry Hill...two big boys that are hard to beat and with the cost of doing steak very well, I don't see anything of competition coming up the road.
Chinese is another small market. They have one or two "take out" cookie cutter places that, I'm told, do very well for themselves and have a good following. You also have Woksabi which has a Japanese and Chinese menu and have just recently added a Hibachi grill so I think the bases are covered there.
I doubt they will give a liquor license to one in town "wine place" as the others will cry afoul. Something has to be done before we get hit with this huge tax horizon known as the Blunder Yard.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,447,651 times
There are two liquor stores on Haddon Ave within 1-2 miles of all the restaurants in Collingswood. (They are technically in Haddon Twp)

I think Collingswood needs a quality adult breakfast place (and brunch/lunch).
Something like Green Eggs & Ham or Sabrina's in Philly.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,589,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Well Goat, my guess is this: The have tried a "high end" steak house of recent in a location which now houses a BBQ joint. It's on the Camden end of the ave and I think the location is cursed. It was overpriced and failed miserably. They have El Sitio next to the Pop Shop which bills itself as a Peruvian steak house; we gave it two times and hated it. Despite good reviews in the Courier where the writer found it crowded (?), I never see anyone in there. Then you have the high end William Douglass and Capital Grille right in Cherry Hill...two big boys that are hard to beat and with the cost of doing steak very well, I don't see anything of competition coming up the road.
Chinese is another small market. They have one or two "take out" cookie cutter places that, I'm told, do very well for themselves and have a good following. You also have Woksabi which has a Japanese and Chinese menu and have just recently added a Hibachi grill so I think the bases are covered there.
I doubt they will give a liquor license to one in town "wine place" as the others will cry afoul. Something has to be done before we get hit with this huge tax horizon known as the Blunder Yard.
Good points, see I didn't even know the steak place existed, lol. I did know about the two Chinese places. Lo's (it's been renamed but the one near the library) has been there forever, but was displaced as the "favorite" when Chow's came in. I used to think Chow's was good, but it's been bad the last couple times I had it. I haven't tried the other "fusion" place, but it sounds interesting. On the Chinese food thing, I think Collingswood could use a place like one of the Tokyo Mandarins. A step up from the take out places, but not exactly a "real" restaurant either.

I see what everyone is saying about the breakfast/brunch/lunch place. An "adult" diner would probably be a nice draw esepcially since the other diners in the area with the exception of the Westmont Diner have all really dropped off in quality.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM

You may want to try Woksabi...it's not Sagami in any way but for ambieance and walkability, it's not that bad. The food caters to a Japanese and Chinese menu, the place is spotless and the people are very nice. The sushi is reasonable and creative. I have yet to see the hibachi but hear good things.

Our other favorite places are Kitchen Consiglione (Angelo is just the best guy but the place is getting very popular and starting to outgrow it's size. It really is jammed almost every night.) and IndeBlue. I would never have thought I would like Indian cuisine but Rakeesh and Heather do it up right.

We are so spolied here. All we need is that big breakfast place that smells like stuffed french toast and coffee all morning long...without twenty three 5 year olds chasing balloons while their parents text their friends! Pop Shop, I'm talking to you!!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM

212 posts, read 560,081 times
I would love to see something like Honey's in Collingswood - a place with a laid back atmosphere is desperately needed. Plus it would be great to get coffee without dealing with attitude and leaping over tangled cords.

Selling liquor licenses could be one way to partially bail us out of the Lumberyard mess plus it sure would be nice to get a beer and a burger in town.
I believe that based on population there would be 3 for restaurants and 1 for a store. Even in a depressed market, I would think that would fetch the town $1 million.

I would also like to see Collingswood do something to academically improve the high school; an IB programme would be fantastic and a much better use of time and funds than the "Communications Program".

Those of us that own property are pretty much stuck here with the current housing market and tax situation but it sure would be nice to want to be here.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 PM

My thoughts exactly. I also believe you are correct, we can get three liquor licenses per capita and the "who gets them" is a potential problem. This is all moot as they mayor told me at a meeting that he" doesn't think that's a good idea...and I'm Irish!".
So...I guess that's it. Nobody seems to get to chime in, give their opinion or come up with alternatives.
Wonder how high my taxes will go this year?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM

212 posts, read 560,081 times
Our taxes are already more than our mortgage so I can't even imagine what'll happen next. I'm not sure why the liquor licenses can't be auctioned then it's fair for everyone. I don't think that most of the restaurants in town would have that great an interest in them, it would be new restaurants with a different clientel. Hopefully the next mayor will have a better outlook on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia