U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,548 times

Advertisements

For example, Hoboken is a fun city outside of NYC. Are there any cities like that closer to phili? Not just a nice town but a place that is urban and has the same lifestyle that a city lifestyle entails? I'm not a suburban or country girl but unfortunately this job is in the middle of farmville, NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,572,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybuzki View Post
For example, Hoboken is a fun city outside of NYC. Are there any cities like that closer to phili? Not just a nice town but a place that is urban and has the same lifestyle that a city lifestyle entails? I'm not a suburban or country girl but unfortunately this job is in the middle of farmville, NJ!
Depends what you mean by urban. Collingswood and Haddonfield, for instance, are fun, charming towns, but both are much smaller than Hoboken.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 AM

13,200 posts, read 13,278,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybuzki View Post
What town is the job in?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM

13,692 posts, read 17,676,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What town is the job in?
Excellent question, that really helps frame it. Still though, I honestly can't think of anything in South Jersey that would really be what the OP is looking for. The closest you are going to get is probably Collingswood, but that is nothing like a Hoboken.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM

13,200 posts, read 13,278,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Excellent question, that really helps frame it. Still though, I honestly can't think of anything in South Jersey that would really be what the OP is looking for. The closest you are going to get is probably Collingswood, but that is nothing like a Hoboken.
The "farmville" remark shows an attitude about South Jersey that I have run into for years & years. I also doubt that we can come up with a satisfactory location, but since "farmville" doesn't tell us a thing, I could only ask what the town name is.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM

13,692 posts, read 17,676,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The "farmville" remark shows an attitude about South Jersey that I have run into for years & years. I also doubt that we can come up with a satisfactory location, but since "farmville" doesn't tell us a thing, I could only ask what the town name is.
I tried to ignore the "farmville" comment as well. Given that you can go from the 5th largest city (and one of the largest metro areas) in the US and drive 20 minutes and be in "farmville" doesn't exactly make "farmville" an isolated and backwards place like the word implies.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

668 posts, read 791,580 times
The small part of Collingswood (dry town but cool and artsy) and the 1/2 mile stretching into Haddon Twp that offers a few cool bars may fit your need but Philly just doesn't have or need the young prof "dumping ground" that NYC produces. Meaning NYC is SO expensive that you created mini-NYC in Hoboken so you still get a great vibe for less; and not that much less from what I hear.
Philly's version of that is more like Manayunk or Conshohocken but both areas, while close, are kind of cut off from the city by mass tansit in the evenings. Kinda like, if you live there, you stay there. Collingswood and Haddon Twp have the PATCO train that runs 24/7 and gets you into center city Philly in 15 minutes or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia