U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 AM

20,940 posts, read 16,409,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
All the more reason to reorganize RU-Camden and RU-Newark as separate educational institutions, viz., UNJ-Camden and UNJ-Newark.
And UNJ-New Brunswick. Leave the RU name to the RU college (after bringing it back).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,595,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And UNJ-New Brunswick. Leave the RU name to the RU college (after bringing it back).
I'd close Livingston and simply direct Livingston students to either Camden or Newark. I'd also limit enrollment at RU and Douglass, turning both into prestigous academic institutions like University of Virginia and Wellesley College.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 AM

20,940 posts, read 16,409,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I'd close Livingston and simply direct Livingston students to either Camden or Newark. I'd also limit enrollment at RU and Douglass, turning both into prestigous academic institutions like University of Virginia and Wellesley College.
University of Virginia is a public research institute while Wellesley College is a small private liberal arts college. It can't be like both.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM

756 posts, read 985,615 times
As it is already, a Rutgers MBA from Camden isn't the same as the Rutgers MBA from Newark/New Brunswick. Different programs.

I'm not sure about the law programs.

At the undergrad level, Rutgers-NB is more difficult to get into than the Rutgers-Camden program.

AFAIK, it's a bigger difference than the difference in undergrad degrees (atleast the science ones) between UM College Park and UMBC.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 2 days ago)

13,619 posts, read 17,220,993 times
There is definitely a difference in a degree from Rutgers-Camden vs. Rutgers-New Brunswick as the two schools have different admittance criteria and even curriculum to an extent. Maybe outside the immediate area, people will just see "Rutgers", but people familiar with them will see a difference in "quality".

I really don't know what I think of the merger, I suppose in some ways it makes sense, but it would seem to drive an even further wedge between North and South Jersey. North Jersey is Rutgers, South Jersey is Rowan and as others pointed out, no one outside of the state even knows Rowan exists.

The one idea that I like that someone proposed is the formation of "UNJ or the University of New Jersey". Take; Rutgers, Rowan, UMDNJ, NJIT, College of NJ, Kean, Montclair, Jersey City, Ramapo, Thomas Edison, Stockton and William Paterson...role them all into the UNJ system. Then just rename them all UNJ-New Brunswick, UNJ-Glassboro, UNJ-Pomona, etc. Or, you could keep the old school names to let them still have some recognition; UNJ-Rutgers, UNJ-Livingston, UNJ-Rowan, UNJ-Stockton, etc.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM

756 posts, read 985,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
but it would seem to drive an even further wedge between North and South Jersey..
They should just go all the way and separate SJ into its own state or it merges with Delaware to keep it at 50 US. The Delaware capital could be Wilmington to be more central for existing DE and SJ. SJ is anyways distinctly tied to Philadelphia, while the rest of the state with New York. Atleast we might get lower taxes that way.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM

13,100 posts, read 13,002,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There is definitely a difference in a degree from Rutgers-Camden vs. Rutgers-New Brunswick as the two schools have different admittance criteria and even curriculum to an extent. Maybe outside the immediate area, people will just see "Rutgers", but people familiar with them will see a difference in "quality".

I really don't know what I think of the merger, I suppose in some ways it makes sense, but it would seem to drive an even further wedge between North and South Jersey. North Jersey is Rutgers, South Jersey is Rowan and as others pointed out, no one outside of the state even knows Rowan exists.

The one idea that I like that someone proposed is the formation of "UNJ or the University of New Jersey". Take; Rutgers, Rowan, UMDNJ, NJIT, College of NJ, Kean, Montclair, Jersey City, Ramapo, Thomas Edison, Stockton and William Paterson...role them all into the UNJ system. Then just rename them all UNJ-New Brunswick, UNJ-Glassboro, UNJ-Pomona, etc. Or, you could keep the old school names to let them still have some recognition; UNJ-Rutgers, UNJ-Livingston, UNJ-Rowan, UNJ-Stockton, etc.
It's another wedge, definitely.

Outside of NJ no one sees a difference between campuses of Rutgers. It's like I said about various campuses of the UNC system. Leave the state & there is no difference. On the other hand, Rowan has zero name recognition out of state. Glassboro State had name recognition because of the Hollybush Summit.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 1,727,237 times
True, but Rowan has made huge strides over the past few years. Every university's reputation takes a while to build, after all. It is already taking a huge step this year by taking over Cooper University Hospital.

The only way to really figure this out is to compare what type and quality of jobs RU-Camden grads get versus New Brunswick grads, versus graduates of non-RU state schools like Montclair.

Last edited by soug; 01-26-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM

1,914 posts, read 1,727,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
As it is already, a Rutgers MBA from Camden isn't the same as the Rutgers MBA from Newark/New Brunswick. Different programs.

I'm not sure about the law programs.

At the undergrad level, Rutgers-NB is more difficult to get into than the Rutgers-Camden program.

AFAIK, it's a bigger difference than the difference in undergrad degrees (atleast the science ones) between UM College Park and UMBC.
Kind of off-topic, but UMD and UMBC are completely separate universities within the University System of Maryland. This is the model I was thinking of earlier when I hypothesized about creating a strong partnership between three universities, one each for North, Central, and South Jersey.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 3,940,197 times
My brother goes to Rutgers-Camden and he is not happy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia