Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,033,316 times

Advertisements

I vote for Cinnaminson, Maple Shade, and the like. Since youdon't like to repair things what about a townhouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,841,255 times
Not to be a downer, but I think Maple Shade is somewhat unattractive. You would be better off in Delran or Cinnaminson if you want to stay in that general area. But really, the savings on property taxes and tolls living in Burlington County vs. Camden County are a wash. You will pay more in gas sitting on 73 trying to cross the Tacony Bridge which is now jammed due to everyone using it to avoid the $5 tolls on the other bridges, plus all the traffic on 95 south heading into Center City. You might pay $5k a year in property taxes instead of $7000 a year. In the grand scheme of things, both are still a major ripoff. You really might as well live in the Delaware County PA towns if you want to avoid the tolls and want lower taxes. I would suggest looking instead at the Haddon Township, Haddon Heights, and Audubon areas for the best commute into Philly.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Not to be a downer, but I think Maple Shade is somewhat unattractive. You would be better off in Delran or Cinnaminson if you want to stay in that general area. But really, the savings on property taxes and tolls living in Burlington County vs. Camden County are a wash. You will pay more in gas sitting on 73 trying to cross the Tacony Bridge which is now jammed due to everyone using it to avoid the $5 tolls on the other bridges, plus all the traffic on 95 south heading into Center City. You might pay $5k a year in property taxes instead of $7000 a year. In the grand scheme of things, both are still a major ripoff. You really might as well live in the Delaware County PA towns if you want to avoid the tolls and want lower taxes. I would suggest looking instead at the Haddon Township, Haddon Heights, and Audubon areas for the best commute into Philly.
I use the Tacony Palmyra bridge as my wife does every day and its never jammed unless an opening.. Burlington county has less traffic, taxes, car insurance, home owners insurance then Camden county too.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM

I am pretty sure car insurance is about the same in Cinnaminson as it is in Voorhees. It may be higher in Camden City.

The slightly lower taxes in Burlington County towns are so minor I don't think it should be a huge consideration. All South Jersey areas are extremely high. If you are just going for lower taxes, why not just live in Logan Township? Or better yet, live in Delaware? $6k vs. $7k per year is not a huge difference. ALL NJ homeowners are being ripped off, period.

I am actually leaving this state ASAP due to the extremely high property taxes. I would like to settle down somewhere that actually takes seriously reduction in tax burden on homeowners. How can retirees on fixed incomes remain in their homes in this state? It's absurd.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Car insurance is higher in Camden county then Burlington county. At least this was what has told to me by my state farm agent. Same as home owners.. My prop taxes are the same or even LESS then in pa in Bucks, Mont counties for comparable homes. I know cause we just moved recently and found this out.

Quote:
I am pretty sure car insurance is about the same in Cinnaminson as it is in Voorhees. It may be higher in Camden City.

The slightly lower taxes in Burlington County towns are so minor I don't think it should be a huge consideration. All South Jersey areas are extremely high. If you are just going for lower taxes, why not just live in Logan Township? Or better yet, live in Delaware? $6k vs. $7k per year is not a huge difference. ALL NJ homeowners are being ripped off, period.

I am actually leaving this state ASAP due to the extremely high property taxes. I would like to settle down somewhere that actually takes seriously reduction in tax burden on homeowners. How can retirees on fixed incomes remain in their homes in this state? It's absurd.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,966,029 times
Quote:
And you think Twip and Audubon are more attractive? Most of the Heights are, but much, much more expensive.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Yes, Haddon Township (especially Westmont) and Audubon are far more attractive than Maple Shade. Plus they are actually very, very close to Center City Philadelphia, unlike Maple Shade.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,592,648 times
I take the Tacony Palmyra Bridge every day, and it's never jammed...The commute from the north to downtown is almost always easier than from due east and the south.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,489,122 times
On the car insurance thing, when I moved from Voorhees to Moorestown in 2008, my rates went down about $240 a year just because of the change in zipcode. The reason that I was cited was the impact of crimes in Camden City on the models used that effect the entire county. We were renting at the time, but our renters insurance went down about $40 a year for the same reason as cited by my agent.

Property taxes are more variable as they are made up of both county and local elements. County taxes are lower in Burlington than in Camden. However, that might not mean much on your actual bill as the lions share is still influenced at the local level. There are places in Camden County with net lower property tax bills then in Burlington and vice versa.

Overall, I wouldn't base my decision solely on those reasons, they are just icing on the cake. To me in this discussion I think you need to consider the wifes commute factor as well and to me that means Burlington County as the OP is probably looking at a similar drive no matter where they are coming from.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
I take the Tacony Palmyra Bridge every day, and it's never jammed...The commute from the north to downtown is almost always easier than from due east and the south.
I agree Bill. We had a meeting in center city last Friday morning and we got there from home in exactly 25 minutes at 10 am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia