U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM

19 posts, read 9,936 times
Default Anyone know if there is a prevalence of asbestos in Haddon Township homes?

I'm currently in the process of searching for a home to buy in Haddon Township/Collingswood. To be more precise, I've narrowed my search to the area west of Cuthbert Blvd, north of Newton Lake Park and South of Haddon Ave. One of the places that has piqued my interest looks like it would need a bit of updating. I was just wondering if anyone here knows how prevalent asbestos is inside the homes in that area. Obviously, this could potentially lead to higher than expected renovation costs that I would need to take into consideration. It looks like most of the homes in that area were built in the early to mid 1920's if that helps. I know the only way to know for sure is to get the house tested for asbestos, but I am just curious if this is a known issue in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM

12,047 posts, read 10,789,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVelo View Post
I'm currently in the process of searching for a home to buy in Haddon Township/Collingswood. To be more precise, I've narrowed my search to the area west of Cuthbert Blvd, north of Newton Lake Park and South of Haddon Ave. One of the places that has piqued my interest looks like it would need a bit of updating. I was just wondering if anyone here knows how prevalent asbestos is inside the homes in that area. Obviously, this could potentially lead to higher than expected renovation costs that I would need to take into consideration. It looks like most of the homes in that area were built in the early to mid 1920's if that helps. I know the only way to know for sure is to get the house tested for asbestos, but I am just curious if this is a known issue in the area.

Thanks!
Do you know when the house was built & if the walls are plaster & lathe or wallboard?

Unread 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM

I'm not 100% sure what year this particular house was built, but the houses on either side were both built in 1920. I haven't actually been inside the house yet either (have a showing scheduled for tomorrow), so I'm not sure what the walls are made of yet. I was really just hoping to find someone with a general knowledge of the houses in that particular area since they appear to have all been built around the same time frame, with a few different styles so I assume that the construction methods are all pretty similar.

That being said, should I be hoping for plaster and lathe walls or wallboard? Is wallboard different than drywall? Is there an easy way to tell the difference when I go to look at the house tomorrow?

Unread 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,789,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVelo View Post
I'm not 100% sure what year this particular house was built, but the houses on either side were both built in 1920. I haven't actually been inside the house yet either (have a showing scheduled for tomorrow), so I'm not sure what the walls are made of yet. I was really just hoping to find someone with a general knowledge of the houses in that particular area since they appear to have all been built around the same time frame, with a few different styles so I assume that the construction methods are all pretty similar.

That being said, should I be hoping for plaster and lathe walls or wallboard? Is wallboard different than drywall? Is there an easy way to tell the difference when I go to look at the house tomorrow?
Wallboard = drywall. In 1920 the house should have been made with plaster walls. It's possible that drywall was used for repairs. Neither should contain asbestos. The exterior should not have asbestos, unless updating was done post WWII. You'll have to ask. They probably can not tell you 100% for sure, which would mean an inspection. A 1920 house should not have a problem, it it has been maintained with the original materials.

Unread 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,558,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Wallboard = drywall. In 1920 the house should have been made with plaster walls. It's possible that drywall was used for repairs. Neither should contain asbestos. The exterior should not have asbestos, unless updating was done post WWII. You'll have to ask. They probably can not tell you 100% for sure, which would mean an inspection. A 1920 house should not have a problem, it it has been maintained with the original materials.
Some plaster in the 20's was made with horsehair and asbestos.. Be careful

Unread 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,359,601 times
I don't believe that plaster and lathe walls are a hazard, especially if they are properly painted. Remember, asbestos poses a hazard in a powdered state.

Your plumbing pipes might be wrapped in asbestos. Go in the basement and see if they're properly wrapped. If they look loose or have tape peeling (called "fried" I think), have someone check it out.

Also, the attic may be insulated with vermiculite which I think has asbestos.

Try posting over on the "House" Forum. Someone over there should know.

Unread 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the all the tips! We went to see the house today and it needed a bit more work than I'm willing to deal with at the moment, but I'll definitely keep all of your advice/tips in mind while we continue our search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia