U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM

756 posts, read 974,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
For this particular store you may have a point, but I was more referring to Bottom Dollar expanding in the whole Philly/SJ metro, where as you alluded to even supermarket giants like Safeway and Ahold (in SJ at least) couldn't make it.

Bottom Dollar isn't trying to compete with Whole Foods/Trader Joe's anyway.

If you don't consider Aldi a supermarket, then what do you consider Bottom Dollar? They are both fairly similar, the only thing Bottom Dollar has that Aldi doesn't is some brand names. I think Bottom Dollar is trying to find a middle ground between Aldi and a traditional supermarket, but IMO is much more similar to Aldi than ShopRite.

And for those that do want a traditional supermarket, I just read that the ShopRite there was voted the best supermarket in SJ or something. And I'm not sure how you can say "there isn't a Wegmans." There are 2 within 15 minutes of Cinnaminson. And considering those are the only 2 Wegmans in SJ, I'm sure there's a lot more people driving further than that to get there.
The Mt.Laurel store is close - closer than I originally thought to Cinnaminson, but on a different road. Also, 6 miles is about the distance from the Mt. Laurel Wegmans to Marlton. Typically I consider if it's in the same zip code, or off the same major road where in adjacency to be directly competing, but maybe that's too narrow.

I consider Aldi a market but not a supermarket, but it's just my opinion I suppose. They seemed very understaffed compared to a typical grocery store and don't have features like express lanes, and I think they sell more of their house product than stock anywhere near the variety of items one gets at a regular grocery store. True, it's more like Trader Joes. My point with TJ and WF is they just have one store for all of SJ and probably don't make a significant amount of sales, relative to the sales of traditional stores.

Last edited by avg12; 03-12-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM

13,031 posts, read 12,889,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Like I said, it was just my perception and I gather I'm not alone in that from what I hear other people saying IRL. I also said it was most likely very inaccurate. I don't have one near me, but haven't really felt the need to seek out something cheaper since we do pretty well shopping the sales and using our BJ's membership. I have jokingly heard people refer to Aldi in the past as one of the four horsemen of the "ghetto apocalypse". Basically if your town contains one each of the following, you are in the ghetto...

1. Family Dollar
2. Aldi and/or Wal*Mart
3. Crown Fried Chicken
4. Cash for Gold
I went to the Maple Shade Aldi for years. Were you aware that a division of Aldi is majority owner of Trader Joe's? I refer to Trader Joe's as Upscale Aldi.

ETA: I think of Save-A-Lot as being much more ghetto than Aldi.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-12-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM

13,591 posts, read 17,043,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Cash For Gold has appeared in shopping centers in Cherry Hill and Marlton. Granted, Crown Fried Chicken isn't in town.
See how close they are to the tipping point, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I went to the Maple Shade Aldi for years. Were you aware that a division of Aldi is majority owner of Trader Joe's? I refer to Trader Joe's as Upscale Aldi.

ETA: I think of Save-A-Lot as being much more ghetto than Aldi.
I knew they were tied up with Trader Joe's, I was just passing on my own admittedly biased and slanted opinion of it. I have one coworker who shops their religiously and folks always give her the same wrinkled nose "ewwww" expression. I honestly do very little of the household grocery shopping, however, I do know that my wife has put a littel bit of effort into actually planning the shopping trips around sales and using coupons. FWIW, I think you can buy the same kind of stuff you can at Aldi for the same or less at a traditional supermarket if you shop smart.

I really don't have anything else to add and the 'ghetto' thing really was just a joke, feel free to throw in whatever four "stigma'd" businesses you'd like, lol.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:33 PM

3,470 posts, read 3,338,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
The Mt.Laurel store is close - closer than I originally thought to Cinnaminson, but on a different road. Also, 6 miles is about the distance from the Mt. Laurel Wegmans to Marlton. Typically I consider if it's in the same zip code, or off the same major road where in adjacency to be directly competing, but maybe that's too narrow.

I consider Aldi a market but not a supermarket, but it's just my opinion I suppose. They seemed very understaffed compared to a typical grocery store and don't have features like express lanes, and I think they sell more of their house product than stock anywhere near the variety of items one gets at a regular grocery store. True, it's more like Trader Joes. My point with TJ and WF is they just have one store for all of SJ and probably don't make a significant amount of sales, relative to the sales of traditional stores.
What does it matter what road it's on if it's still close? I had just google mapped both Wegmans and put in "Cinnaminson" as the starting point and I think one was 15 minutes and the other was 16.

So do you consider Bottom Dollar a supermarket? It isn't much different than Aldi.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,122,922 times
People are free to wrinkle their nose all they want. I get fresher, better products at Aldi for about half the price they are paying at Wegmans. I don't need to walk around a gigantic warehouse-size supermarket. Everything is neatly organized in a small square footage.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,221,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Aldi has higher quality products and better quality control than most supermarkets. If something is close to expiring, they put it on a discount rack and they pull it off the shelves as soon as it is expired. Their store brands are almost all equal or superior to the national brands. They do not carry national brands unless it's a special buy item. That is the whole point of Aldi - you save because the products are private label. You are not paying for national advertising campaigns and shelf space fees. Aldi also carries gourmet items. I get delicious creamy havarti cheeses, hummus, king crab legs, marzipan stollen, delicious German riesling and ice wine (at non-NJ locations that sell alcohol), wonderful ready-to-bake pizzas, and great fresh produce even cheaper than Produce Junction.

I don't consider Aldi a "discount" store. I consider it a store that sells superior products that are often cheaper than the supermarkets.
Yeah whenever I have a big shopping to do I go to Aldi's. Dirt cheap stuff in comparison to the large chain stores.

I do not even know what other supermarkets there are down south. We were visiting some friends last year who bought a house in Virginia Beach, and all the way down Rt 13 Food Lion was the only store we saw. Dozens of them along the way, but that was really it.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Yeah whenever I have a big shopping to do I go to Aldi's. Dirt cheap stuff in comparison to the large chain stores.

I do not even know what other supermarkets there are down south. We were visiting some friends last year who bought a house in Virginia Beach, and all the way down Rt 13 Food Lion was the only store we saw. Dozens of them along the way, but that was really it.
Harris Teeter is for people who have money to burn.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 10,249,225 times
been to bottom dollar a few times and we are still happy with the place.. Their brand orange juice stinks but other then that its a wonderful place. We got $40 worth of groceries the other day for $20 with a coupon too.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
been to bottom dollar a few times and we are still happy with the place.. Their brand orange juice stinks but other then that its a wonderful place. We got $40 worth of groceries the other day for $20 with a coupon too.
Definitely check out Aldi, frank. I've seen them putting out stuff over the years. Some of the fresh pork comes from Smithfield. The fresh chicken is Tyson. (I prefer Perdue so wait for someone to have a sale on that.) A lot of stuff is name brand, or high quality store brand.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,122,922 times
My mother, who can be snobbish and tends to shop at higher-end stores, is now an Aldi convert. She actually does most of her major shopping there. She has a Costco membership and barely goes there anymore. She also lives in an area with LOTS of supermarket competition... they have Giant, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Safeway, Shopper's Food Warehouse, Bottom Dollar, Wegmans, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Several Local supermarkets, and several Asian supermarkets all within a ten or fifteen minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia