Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM

421 posts, read 834,159 times

Advertisements

Oops, sorry about that one. There used to be a Jo-Ann in Woodlyn PA, but it closed in 2002. It's a shame because a big chunk of Delaware County surrounding Woodlyn had no other craft store at all. But I figure the lost customers of this store now travel up the Blue Route to the large Jo-Ann in Springfield that opened in 2005, to replace an older one across the street. Perhaps the new Springfield store really was considered a replacement for both of these by corporate, but it's a shame they couldn't have waited a few years longer to close the Woodlyn store. This newer Jo-Ann is in a really weird location too, in the basement of a really old shopping center, and seems run down despite being relatively new. It was even worse that Walmart forced Jo-Ann to give up some of their space at this store when a Walmart opened ABOVE the Jo-Ann, in what used to be two spaces occupied by Linens 'N Things and Marshalls. But it was convenient that this Jo-Ann in 2005 had an experimental "gift shop" section owned by a separate company, with its own registers separate from those of Jo-Ann. When Walmart came to town, Jo-Ann expanded into this space and made up for a lot of the space they lost, but perhaps not all of it. I was disappointed when the Filene's Basement in this shopping center closed after not being open that long, but that worked out because Marshalls had to move into the space to accommodate Walmart. And the old Marshalls was really run down, so I think they really wanted to move anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
The former Kmart/Sears Essentials building in Marlton apparently is 96,000 sq. ft. Maybe Wal-Mart could lease there and follow a super Walmart format similar to the planned Mt.Laurel store, if it moved across the street. I'd think Wal-Mart could get the entire plaza and the store increased in size.

Evesham council takes steps to redevelop long-neglected properties - Philly.com
http://www.rdmanagement.com/files/EveshamNJ.pdf
101 State Route 70 East, Marlton, NJ, 08053 - Anchor Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

The LoopNet listing indicates Superfresh renewed a lease for 5 more years, but I wonder the term and if Superfresh/A&P could prevent Wal-Mart from opening a grocery section. I'd think it'd rather want out of the lease. Some shopping centers with grocery store anchors have lease clauses that prevent another store in the same plaza from having a significant amount of food sales and pharmacy. But in this case, A&P/Superfresh isn't even operating a store there anymore.

I suppose the existing Wal-Mart could be made into residential or some other use. Wal-Mart however has been upgrading that Marlton store over the years, unlike the Berlin store which looks like the Marlton store from 10 years ago.

According to kimko's realty site, ShopRite is still listed to the Brace Rd. site and it might be still paying rent for the Brace Rd. store.

The former Clover/Acme center has been underused for years, and is filled with a poor mix of stores:
http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/M...e_SNJC0643.pdf

The east side of Cherry Hill from Springdale Rd. and Greentree will be near the new Mt.Laurel Wal-Mart, but that original Clover site could be made a Sam's Club if Wal-Mart wanted to expand that chain around the two Wal-Marts that will surround east Cherry Hill. It'd definitely make the area feel like the South.

Last edited by avg12; 01-23-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM

161 posts, read 344,466 times
In your scenario, maybe the old Walmart site could become a Sam's Club seeing as they are owed by them?

On that note, with all the empty retail in Cherry Hill I am surprised that Sam's Club, BJ's Wholesale, or Costco haven't opened up in the Cherry Hill area. The nearest Sam's Club is in Cinnaminson, Costco is in Mount Laurel, and BJ's is probably the closest in Maple Shade.

Also avg12, nice find with the Kimco Realty website. According to them, the Old Country Buffet at Garden State Pavilions in Cherry Hill is set to become something called "Seafood Palace Buffet".

http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/M...e_SNJC1664.pdf

Speaking of the Garden State Pavilions center, I noticed a lot of parking for the NJ Transit rail line overflows into the shopping center. I can't image the parking situation if the stores around the station were actually occupied. Really a poor design.

Last edited by CH101; 01-23-2013 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
In your scenario, maybe the old Walmart site could become a Sam's Club seeing as they are owed by them?
I'd think that Sears Essential site might be fine for Wal-Mart but anything niche like a membership store like Sam's wouldn't do as well because of the area. Sears thought it was a good place to do a Kmart to Sears conversion because of the demographics, but that area of 70 is rather sleepy unlike the 73 corridor, and Sears being more niche than Kmart selling higher price point items like washers,dryers, refrigerators at that site likely didn't work out well.

At most Medford would use it, but Medford could also just drive through the 70/73 interchange (without the circle) as it is easy to pass through now. I believe that Superfresh survived as long as it did, with the circle protecting it to some extent. The former Oskar Huber/Floors USA site seems more central to more areas and has accessibility from 70 on both sides, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
On that note, with all the empty retail in Cherry Hill I am surprised that Sam's Club, BJ's Wholesale, or Costco haven't opened up in the Cherry Hill area. The nearest Sam's Club is in Cinnaminson, Costco is in Mount Laurel, and BJ's is probably the closest in Maple Shade.
BJ's has a Maple Shade store and a newer Voorhees store. I think they both service Cherry Hill in a way, and an additional one in Cherry Hill would be too much coverage in one area, unless it relocated the Maple Shade store to Cherry Hill. BJ's isn't as strong of a chain among the three also. It exited the lucrative pharmacy business.

Costco is up on I-295 Exit 40, an easy drive just 6 miles from Exit 34.

However, Sam's nearest stores are Deptford and Cinnaminson, neither which I would say are near Cherry Hill-Marlton-Medford, nor would people in those towns want to drive to Deptford or Cinnaminson to shop. With Wal-Mart's recent expansion getting a SuperCenter into one of the most central towns, maybe they'd go for more expansion for more Super Walmarts and Sam's Clubs. It's sad that economic recovery leads to one viable chain that is Wal-Mart.

Last edited by avg12; 01-24-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM

According the the "printable flyer" for Garden State Pavilions on metrocommercial.com, (http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/0...29328596D2.pdf) it says that that the center is supposed to get "Future cross access to Garden State Park - Wegman’s, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Christmas Tree Shops, Dick’s, and Best Buy." I know there were studies done in the past for one. If they can connect the two centers, it may save Garden State Pavilions.

Also worth looking at is the flyer for the Walmart shopping center on Rt. 38. http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/8...08EE259A81.pdf It appears there is a proposed Wawa Gas station in place of the old Blockbuster, and surprisingly a proposed new construction standalone addition to the center on the currently open field behind the old Blockbuster. If the space is enough, maybe Walmart could combine the proposed retail spaces and expand the Sam's Club brand there?

Last edited by CH101; 01-24-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM

That area is lower income than the east side of Cherry Hill, and it's close to 130 (thus the Cinnaminson store). I can't tell if there is adequate space in that plaza for Sam's.

Wal-Mart hasn't beautified the exterior of that store there yet, with the softer earthy colors and the logo, and it's still the old logo in all caps, WAL*MART.

Last edited by avg12; 01-25-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Interesting article about development along 73 in Voorhees: http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...-Voorhees-land

Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM

In the supermarkets thread, it was brought up that Cherry Hill has an ordinance that requires liquor to be sold in a stand-alone store, and that they are thinking of changing it. I had actually forgotten about this ordinance until now. Maybe this is also why Sam's/BJ's/Costco have stayed out of Cherry Hill? I believe they all like to traditionally sell liquor as well in their stores. I know the BJ's in Maple Shade does.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 AM

421 posts, read 834,159 times
The BJ's in New Castle, Delaware (not far south of Wilmington) has liquor, but it has to be kept in a separate room from everything else. And it doesn't even open directly into the rest of the store, unlike the liquor room at the Genuardi's in Marlton. But it opens into the entrance vestibule of the main store. At first I wasn't even sure the liquor store was owned by BJ's, because it eschews the BJ's name but is called "J's Liquors" which is funny. Seems like someone used their sense of humor to evade some sort of liquor law that would forbid BJ's from using their own name, at least without "butchering" it, LOL. Does the Maple Shade BJ's have a similar setup? I've never been and I didn't even know there was a BJ's in Maple Shade. There's no way the Acme in the "old" part of Maple Shade won't close sometime soon, especially since the company was just sold again for the third time in the past 13 years. But I look forward to it closing because then the "Good Spirits" liquor store almost next door will probably move to the Acme space.

It's also sort of ironic that this store is called Good Spirits, because the state liquor stores in PA are test marketing stores with the "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" name. Yet the Good Spirits in Maple Shade has a seedy liquor store vibe, and is more like the older PA liquor stores that people complain about, and is not comparable at all to the newest PA stores.

Also, it was odd that the Genuardi's in Marlton put a "Wine & Spirits" sign on the front of the store, because their store also sold beer. PA people looking for beer would likely not realize it was sold here, as PA grocery stores have to choose between selling beer of their own if they have a cafe, or using the equivalent space for a state wine/spirits alcove. And it's strange how they used the "Wine & Spirits" name which matches the name of all the PA state liquor stores. I think this liquor room at Genuardi's is closed now though in preparation for the store's closing on February 12.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Does the Maple Shade BJ's have a similar setup? I've never been and I didn't even know there was a BJ's in Maple Shade.
If I recall correctly, the liquor is not separate at the BJ's Maple Shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia