Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
It will be an ambulatory center:

Lourdes to open Cherry Hill ambulatory center in former Pathmark | NJBIZ

From today's Inquirer:

In the end, a small supermarket chain gets its Genuardi's

It indicates that the Cherry Hill Ellisburg Genuardi's will close in August. Wegmans is not far, but that area could likely support another grocery store. Wegmans can be just way too crowded along with the shopping center.

The Ellisburg space could be subdivided and the part of the space leased to Bottom Dollar Food or Trader Joes. Another option would be the Ravitz family moving back to Ellisburg with a second Cherry Hill west store again, or reopening the larger Brace Rd. location dependent upon what competition is introduced or not to CH. The Ellisburg center is in a good location and might not need a grocery store chain.

It ideally would have been better if Toys R Us/Babies R Us moved there as it is more central to Camden and Burlington county residents, than the Toys R Us/Kids R Us space that they are rebuilding at the corner of Cherry Hill and Pennsauken.

The Marlton Genuardi's store is still for sale and it sells liquor. While Acme and A&P haven't been in great position to open stores, one of them should consider that site.

Since Safeway has pulled out of Philadelphia, another option would be to sell to Wal-Mart as Wal-Mart does have Wal-Mart grocery stores but none in NJ: Walmart Market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, the local union of this area might picket such an attempt, and not sure if Safeway would embrace the idea of selling to Wal-Mart, who they compete with in other markets.
At one time there were 3 supermarkets on Ellisburg Circle, plus a 7-11 on the 4th of the 5 spokes. Retail in that area has been underperforming for about 20 years. The location is still good, but Cherry Hill should have had a planning board dealing with 70, from Erlton to Barclay Shopping Center & Kings Highway/Brace Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM

756 posts, read 2,110,654 times
Actually, I don't think A&P is in a position to expand or wants to expand in S.NJ. I just learned that A&P closed the Lawnside Pathmark store back in April.

I'm not familiar with the Atlantic-Cape May stores, but in the tri-county area:
A&P just has
-Superfresh Haddon Twp.
-Superfresh Marlton
-Pathmark Cherry Hill Church Rd.
-Pathmark Edgewater Park
-Pathmark Camden

The ShopRite owners could take over Superfresh Haddon Twp., Pathmark Cherry Hill Church Rd., and Pathmark Edgewater Park and it would fit nicely with the existing stores in the region.

The Marlton store is too close to an existing ShopRite. And, I'm not familiar with the Camden store but maybe ShopRite could work in Camden.

Considering that Acme recently opened (re-opened) a store in Bryn Mawr, they maybe in a better shape to acquire the Marlton Genuardi's.

I read that if Safeway cannot find a buyer for the remaining stores it has in SJ, they will close the stores by August.

Last edited by avg12; 06-20-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
At one time there were 3 supermarkets on Ellisburg Circle, plus a 7-11 on the 4th of the 5 spokes. Retail in that area has been underperforming for about 20 years. The location is still good, but Cherry Hill should have had a planning board dealing with 70, from Erlton to Barclay Shopping Center & Kings Highway/Brace Road.
An area that is underperforming even more is the stretch of 70 in the 08003 side of CH. The only real retail 08003 contributes to CH as a whole is a ShopRite and a CVS shopping center near the Voorhees border.

There is a new Wawa, but a lot of vacancies including the Syms (granted not too long ago), Oskar Huber Furniture and what used to the Sneaker Stadium site near the Camden CC campus.

Perhaps the resident influx with the new luxury apartments on 70 will spur some demand for places like Dominos Pizza, but the preference by larger retailers for site location seem to be within Marlton, or the west side of CH for separation purposes, if they want locations for each area.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
An area that is underperforming even more is the stretch of 70 in the 08003 side of CH. The only real retail 08003 contributes to CH as a whole is a ShopRite and a CVS shopping center near the Voorhees border.

There is a new Wawa, but a lot of vacancies including the Syms (granted not too long ago), Oskar Huber Furniture and what used to the Sneaker Stadium site near the Camden CC campus.

Perhaps the resident influx with the new luxury apartments on 70 will spur some demand for places like Dominos Pizza, but the preference by larger retailers for site location seem to be within Marlton, or the west side of CH for separation purposes, if they want locations for each area.
The retail slide started about 20 years ago. It started in the area from Erlton to Barclay Shopping Center & has spread east. Cherry Hill should have dealt with it then, when less was established in Marlton.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM

I agree, Cherry Hill should have planned better.

An area that is large, where they could do better transit oriented or planned development would be by the Cherry Hill NJ Station.

Right now Cherry Hill ShopRite maybe under lease or prefers being at the site, but that plaza esp. by the far end side is very dead. The Staples, Petco and Burlington Coat Factory are fine, but everything after could go and be demolished.

I remember when the ShopRite opened that it was noted that it had a large kosher section, which would be popular amongst Jewish families. But I doubt the families living by the East side of town are supporting that ShopRite now, given that there are much closer grocery stores available.

When ShopRite closed the Brace Rd. location, it was partly because of Wegmans, but they may have chosen that location to close over the racetrack location because of fear that Wal-Mart might take advantage of the abandoned center for a SuperCenter.

Super Wal-Mart concerns aside: ShopRite could probably do better now re-opening the Brace Rd. store, and purchasing the Haddon Twp. Superfresh and Church Rd. Pathmark from A&P. This would give ShopRite a strong presence in the west side of town with stores in decent shopping centers.

I don't know the landowner of the Garden State Pavilions, but it might be interest on CH's part for a redevelopment there even if it means a lease being broken.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I agree, Cherry Hill should have planned better.

An area that is large, where they could do better transit oriented or planned development would be by the Cherry Hill NJ Station.

Right now Cherry Hill ShopRite maybe under lease or prefers being at the site, but that plaza esp. by the far end side is very dead. The Staples, Petco and Burlington Coat Factory are fine, but everything after could go and be demolished.

I remember when the ShopRite opened that it was noted that it had a large kosher section, which would be popular amongst Jewish families. But I doubt the families living by the East side of town are supporting that ShopRite now, given that there are much closer grocery stores available.

When ShopRite closed the Brace Rd. location, it was partly because of Wegmans, but they may have chosen that location to close over the racetrack location because of fear that Wal-Mart might take advantage of the abandoned center for a SuperCenter.

Super Wal-Mart concerns aside: ShopRite could probably do better now re-opening the Brace Rd. store, and purchasing the Haddon Twp. Superfresh and Church Rd. Pathmark from A&P. This would give ShopRite a strong presence in the west side of town with stores in decent shopping centers.

I don't know the landowner of the Garden State Pavilions, but it might be interest on CH's part for a redevelopment there even if it means a lease being broken.
Cherry Hill is the poster child for no planning & bought-off planning.

Personally, I hated the ShopRite in Ellisburg.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Personally, I hated the ShopRite in Ellisburg.
I remember that it used to be very cramped, and the small size was the reason why the owner relocated further west into Garden State Pavilions. When Genuardi's came in, the space seemed spacious, and it had sit down eating, but Genuardi's was expensive. Safeway didn't maintain its locations or keep the chain competitive. I went into the Genuardi's bathroom in CH and it was filthy. A Wegmans bathroom is a stark contrast being super clean.

In Conshohocken, I saw Weis take over a Genuardi's. Weis put in Redbox, and their aisles seem to have more items, slicker look and with higher shelves. They will probably be more competitive. The only thing that I didn't like is they didn't have a screen to show items as they were being scanned, so it was like a surprise when I saw the total amount.

It's too bad Weis, Giant-PA and McAffrey's won't be here.

It's mainly ShopRite vs. Acme for South Jersey, Bottom Dollar Food, with a few people being served by Wegmans and Wal-Mart SuperCenter. And there are the niche operators like Aldi, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Target has an expanded grocery section although it's not a full section.

Given the numerous vacancies and lack of competitors, It'd be interesting if Wal-Mart pursued with the Wal-Mart/Neighborhood Markets concept in SJ
Some plazas:
Ellisburg - former Genuardi's
Voorhees- former Genuardi's

and a number of vacated Superfresh stores near Wal-Mart
Hammonton
Westampton

among others that could work.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,857,863 times
I wish Cherry Hill had redeveloped the Garden State Racetrack and Garden State Pavilions into a nice, mixed-use walkable neighborhood. I realize I'm just throwing out the standard buzzwords here, but it still would've been better than the glorified strip mall they decided to build instead. It's a huge area and could've turned out to be a much better destination than it is today.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 PM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
I agree. It was supposed to be a mixed use, walkable town center. It's just another box, chain store, asphalt nightmare.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM

I went to one in MD:
Kentlands, Gaithersburg, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where there is a mix of business and development, but it's too late now for CH. The Wegmans, Christmas Tree Shops and all did bring jobs and tax revenues, although it could be argued that some business and jobs were taken from the Brace Rd. ShopRite which closed.

I think a small section near the CH transit station could be redone as that shopping center is a borderline failure anyways esp the far end away from 70. However, it would be dependant upon ShopRite, it's lease, and the shopping center owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia