U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 AM

746 posts, read 1,247,257 times

Advertisements

Anybody know anything about all of the empty retail in Cherry Hill? There is a ton and it seems like anytime something new is built... new ground is broken.

Examples: 1) 1 Brace Road on Rt 70 (formerly Natl Wholesale Liquidators). 2) An empty "club" a few intersections up 70 West of 1 Brace. 3) The old Shop Rite off of Berlin Rd (across from Burger King) 4) Empty retail surrounding Lowes on Rt 73. 5) The saddest mini mall on Earth (West on 70 past Wegmans towards Camden).

Just curious if these are open on the market or held up in litigation somehow. This is a TON of vacant retail and not sure what the end result will be. Definitely an eyesore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,992,897 times
Lowes on Route 73 is not in Cherry Hill. It is in Maple Shade.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,233,078 times
The old home depot on Rt. 70 just reopened with as a Burlington Coat Factory.
So that anchor in that shopping center should help a bit. Once Home Depot moved over the railroad tracks it really hurt that shopping center.

So that SAD mini mall is doing a tad better.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,233,078 times
I would like to know what is going to open/happen to that Natl Liquidators lot at Ellisburg Circle intersection. Didn't it go up for auction last year?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM

20,509 posts, read 25,712,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I would like to know what is going to open/happen to that Natl Liquidators lot at Ellisburg Circle intersection. Didn't it go up for auction last year?
I've heard that it was for sale.

Going back to 1964, it was Garwoods & the Big W, then Dales (from Penn Fruit & Dales), then Pathmark, then the Liquidators moved in.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM

156 posts, read 276,132 times
Quote:
A few ago in the the Cherry Hill weekly newspaper it mentioned this place was being sold to a large medical supply company who planned a warehouse on the site.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM

756 posts, read 1,810,003 times
Quote:
The old home depot on Rt. 70 just reopened with as a Burlington Coat Factory.
So that anchor in that shopping center should help a bit. Once Home Depot moved over the railroad tracks it really hurt that shopping center.

So that SAD mini mall is doing a tad better.
I'm surprised BCF chose the former Home Depot site or part of it. While it is a spacious site, it isn't in an area that draws as much traffic as other sites in Cherry Hill. There is Ross but not much stores for apparel buying.

I was thinking the Plaza of Cherry Hill would have been better. But maybe there wasn't an adequate single large site (80,000 sq.foot) in that plaza.

I think that Plaza of Cherry Hill center somewhat mismanaged, or whoever is running it has a poor leasing strategy. It's in such a prime location (by the mall, off 38 and in between the Moorestown Mall and Cherry Hill Mall traffic), but is so underused. It lost Ashley Furniture (which relocated to Levitz site) but gained Bottom Dollar Food recently. Some chains like Chuck E. Cheese have been there for decades. But there are atleast 2-3 major sites unoccupied.

If a major developer like Developers Diversified bought it, they'd bring stronger tenants, fill spaces, and possibly restructure the plaza in a more optimal way.

Another space on the west side of town is in a plaza with Pathmark and Big Lots. The space between those store used to be Rickels. I think it is still unoccupied. That's a plaza that could use a makeover.

Closer to Marlton, Floors USA is closing saying they lost their lease. It might be because the plaza owner wants to find a tenant to replace Oskar Huber Furniture and it's adjacent space. That plaza hasn't had two solid tenants since Acme was with Clover. Since Acme closed, there is always one tenant in while other out. Sears Hardware came to replace Acme, but Clover closed. Oskar Huber Furniture came when Sears closed. Planet Fitness opened when Oskar Huber Furniture was bankrupt and closed.

There is also now a former Syms space that is unoccupied but nearer to I-295.

Another area with a lot of vacant spaces is Echelon in Voorhees.
There is an empty Fuddruckers, Bally's Total Fitness, Genuardi's and KFC along White Horse Road. I'd think Staples, Bottom Dollar and maybe Planet or Retro Fitness could be competitive there.

Another site that has been available for lease forever is a site by the Moorestown Mall, next to For Eyes and Men's Warehouse. It was used by Gateway Country (what 10 years ago?). I'm guessing the landlord is happy with the lease rent/sq.foot that For Eyes and MW is paying and doesn't want to lower the rent to fill that space with a Chinese fast food joint for the sake of filling it, otherwise For Eyes and Men's Warehouse would want lower rent as well.

Anyways, the shopping center architecture that I see in Florida, California, Texas and out west makes NJ shopping centers look dismal.

Last edited by avg12; 03-26-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
3) The old Shop Rite off of Berlin Rd (across from Burger King) 4)
I think the ShopRite owner couldn't keep it afloat with Wegmans not too far off. The interesting thing is Genuardi's stayed around, but now Safeway has put that store up for sale as well. If ShopRite had closed the racetrack store in favor of the Brace Rd. store instead, it might have opened a can of worms permitting Wal-Mart to open a SuperCenter by the racetrack. But it could also be a lease issue (Brace Rd. store had a shorter lease) or strategy. The racetrack ShopRite pulls from Pennsauken and Camden (that might not go to Wegmans anyways), while the Brace Rd. store is likely too far for that population and has the same trade area (or nothing more) than Wegmans.

While that former Kmart/SuperG/Stop&Shop/Shoprite site is vacant, it doesn't look so bad or make that much of an eyesore impact. To me, that National Wholesale Liquidators building discussed above on 70 building really needs to be demolished.

Last edited by avg12; 03-26-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 1,713,252 times
It looks like the bldg on the corner of Brace and Route 70 is being demolished. Anybody know anything about it?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhome View Post
It looks like the bldg on the corner of Brace and Route 70 is being demolished. Anybody know anything about it?
It will be an ambulatory center:

Lourdes to open Cherry Hill ambulatory center in former Pathmark | NJBIZ

From today's Inquirer:

In the end, a small supermarket chain gets its Genuardi's

It indicates that the Cherry Hill Ellisburg Genuardi's will close in August. Wegmans is not far, but that area could likely support another grocery store. Wegmans can be just way too crowded along with the shopping center.

The Ellisburg space could be subdivided and the part of the space leased to Bottom Dollar Food or Trader Joes. Another option would be the Ravitz family moving back to Ellisburg with a second Cherry Hill west store again, or reopening the larger Brace Rd. location dependent upon what competition is introduced or not to CH. The Ellisburg center is in a good location and might not need a grocery store chain.

It ideally would have been better if Toys R Us/Babies R Us moved there as it is more central to Camden and Burlington county residents, than the Toys R Us/Kids R Us space that they are rebuilding at the corner of Cherry Hill and Pennsauken.

The Marlton Genuardi's store is still for sale and it sells liquor. While Acme and A&P haven't been in great position to open stores, one of them should consider that site.

Since Safeway has pulled out of Philadelphia, another option would be to sell to Wal-Mart as Wal-Mart does have Wal-Mart grocery stores but none in NJ: Walmart Market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, the local union of this area might picket such an attempt, and not sure if Safeway would embrace the idea of selling to Wal-Mart, who they compete with in other markets.

Last edited by avg12; 06-20-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia