Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,615 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are currently living in Monmouth county, but we'd like a larger house and we can't afford it here. He works at McGuire AFB and I am looking for a job in the Philadelphia area. We have three large dogs, so a big, private yard is our biggest priority. My husband would be willing to commute up to an hour, since that's what he does now. We want to buy, and our budget is around 300,000-315,000, depending on taxes. We have a young child, so a good school district is important. I don't know much about the Philly suburbs, so I'd love any input.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 12:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj85 View Post
Hello!

My husband and I are currently living in Monmouth county, but we'd like a larger house and we can't afford it here. He works at McGuire AFB and I am looking for a job in the Philadelphia area. We have three large dogs, so a big, private yard is our biggest priority. My husband would be willing to commute up to an hour, since that's what he does now. We want to buy, and our budget is around 300,000-315,000, depending on taxes. We have a young child, so a good school district is important. I don't know much about the Philly suburbs, so I'd love any input.

Thank you so much!
I would start with Delran and Cinnaminson. Both are on the Rt 130 corridor, not that far from McGuire and the schools are pretty good in both towns. Very close to NE Philly too, but that doesn't seem to be among your needs. Then I would say Mt. Laurel, Evesham (Marlton) and Voorhees. These three are on the Rt 73 corridor near exit 4 of the Turnpike and exit 36 of 295, although 73 can get quite congested during the rush hours, which is why I mentioned the others on the Rt 130 corridor first.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I would start with Delran and Cinnaminson. Both are on the Rt 130 corridor, not that far from McGuire and the schools are pretty good in both towns. Very close to NE Philly too, but that doesn't seem to be among your needs. Then I would say Mt. Laurel, Evesham (Marlton) and Voorhees. These three are on the Rt 73 corridor near exit 4 of the Turnpike and exit 36 of 295, although 73 can get quite congested during the rush hours, which is why I mentioned the others on the Rt 130 corridor first.

good advice..

Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I agree with what's been put up so far. Another option would be Medford/Tabernacle/Shamong. These are all closer to the base with easier access, but it is a little further to Philly. They are all more rural and open areas and have great school systems.

Another option may be the Bordentown area, it's close to the base, has decent schools and there is access to commuter trains to get to Philly (either the Riverline in Bordentown itself or SEPTA in Trenton).

Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you for the great suggestions! We drove down Rt. 130 yesterday, through Delran, and we noticed it was close to Willingboro, which I've heard is not a particularly nice area. Does this impact Delran very much? Granted we only saw what was directly off 130 which is never a good indicator.

I am looking for a teaching job in the area as well, but I don't know how much success I'll have. I'm certified to teach history, and it seems like not many schools are hiring history teachers, unfortunately. I was hoping, perhaps, Philadelphia would be opening charter schools like I've seen in Newark and other places. My mother-in-law told us to look in Pennsylvania (for a house) as well. I know that is a different forum (and I'll probably post a question there as well), but are there any benefits to living in New Jersey over Pennsylvania?

Last edited by aj85; 05-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Then look at Cinnaminson. Really though, Willingboro has no effect on Delran. Delran is immensely safe

Quote:
Thank you for the great suggestions! We drove down Rt. 130 yesterday, through Delran, and we noticed it was close to Willingboro, which I've heard is not a particularly nice area. Does this impact Delran very much? Granted we only saw what was directly off 130 which is never a good indicator.

I am looking for a teaching job in the area as well, but I don't know how much success I'll have. I'm certified to teach history, and it seems like not many schools are hiring history teachers, unfortunately. I was hoping, perhaps, Philadelphia would be opening charter schools like I've seen in Newark and other places. My mother-in-law told us to look in Pennsylvania (for a house) as well. I know that is a different forum (and I'll probably post a question there as well), but are there any benefits to living in New Jersey over Pennsylvania?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Then look at Cinnaminson. Really though, Willingboro has no effect on Delran. Delran is immensely safe
Oh, I'm sure, I was just asking. It's funny, we were actually quite excited because there's an exotic bird supply store right off Rt. 130 in Delran, and we own a macaw. It would be nice not to have to order everything!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sure, I was just asking. It's funny, we were actually quite excited because there's an exotic bird supply store right off Rt. 130 in Delran, and we own a macaw. It would be nice not to have to order everything!
The bird store in Delran is Todd Marcus Birds Exotic. Web site: http://thebirdstore.com/

Also close by is Bird Paradise in Burlington and they also ship, if you can't get there. Here's the web site: Bird Paradise, Worlds Largest Bird Store

Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Living in PA would not be optimum with a job at McGuire, particularly if the weather is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia