Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM

24 posts, read 47,752 times

Advertisements

Is anyone able to tell me about this location in Southampton. I regret that we have not been able to take a drive the past 2 weekends to get a feel for the area.
It appears like a rural road to me with homes spread far out. I'm wondering if there are any busineses, churches or stores at all in shooting distance of this area. I am not one to shop really at all hardly, as I do most shopping online. I even do my groceries online where we live now and just pick them up each week, due to it being so much easier with my chronic illness-AND so much less time consuming for my husband. We'd definately want to check out parks, churches and places to meet up with other families in the area.
I guess my main question, is what is around there, is it so rural that one does not know their neighbors, is this a flood zone at all? Wondering why especially 104 Burrs Mill Rd. bungalo is priced so low. The exterior of the home sure may be the answer, but the interior looks livable. We are looking to lower our expenses considerably. It has a little over an acre with 2 sheds. We are the ones with a mini horse and 2 little dwarf goats so we need to put up a small fenced area and that has been major to find out what is allowed/zoned in different areas.
Any thoughts or knowledge out there on this area or particular road?
Any ideas on how far one would need to go to hit the nearest grocery store/gas station/dr. and dentist.......feed store??
Please forgive so many questions. I am trying to get an idea on the area before I waste my husband's time and ask him to visit. It looks like it is rated a 5 star area on Trulia though!
Thoughts?
Thanks a bunch.
Jan Lyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Didn't have time to make an appt. to see inside this home last weekend, being Memorial Day weekend, but took a drive a really love the wooded area. Kind of still getting a feel for the area. Found it very rural, yet surprising a Shop Rite is within 17 minutes from the home and Burlington Hospital 24 minutes-not bad.
Still wondering about neighbors in the area-we see homes and on the stretch of the road closest to Rt 70 there are more roads that go back into a rural neighborhood. Can anyone speak to that as far as neighbors getting to know neighbors?
Being a bit closer to the shore than other areas we have looked so far is it any more humid there?
How is the drive into Phile-really tough? Would not be rush hour at all, just to get into the hospitals there 6 or so times per year.
The biggest drawback I see is it seems to be 50 some minutes to Blackwoods Camden County College for our one daughter who is yet young, but seems dog determined to need a Vet Tech program. Only one in the state.....thanks for any info you can give me and for having patience with my persistant questions.
Jan Lyn
Would love any info or thoughts anyone has.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
If you can get to a supermarket in 17 minutes, it's only semi-rural.

I used to live in Medford, never out in Southampton or Woodland Township, and I'm familiar with the area.

I guess that you'll meet a few of your closest neighbors if you go over and introduce yourself--otherwise you may never see them. You'll meet people from the area in the usual places: school, church, community events.

The whole area is flat and has a high water table so it's going to be humid in the summer.

There's a feed store over in Medford, but I think that Allen's in Tabernacle is just a bit closer.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Well, you are correct: Allen's clocked in a few minutes closer than Kirby Bros. in Medford, that is great as we normally go every weekend.

Now is the high water table to be concerned about, in terms of flooding?
Any chance that the humidity is a bit higher the rest of the year as well? That would be a plus for me having a medical condition. I keep my humidity (or try!) to keep it up around 40-50 which is really hard to do inside in the winter here in Hunterdon County.
Well, we home school so that's out for meeting people, but we do go to church, the library and community events, so. We live on a semi-rural road now. It took a long time to get to know our neighbors and you are right-we had to introduce ourselves to them. It was worth the effort.
Found the nearest library in town. Adorable!
Thanks for your comments and would love any more I could round up.
Jan Lyn

Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
High water table for me meant that a torrential rain or many days of rain that there would be slow draining, stand water on my property. The place where we lived had a crawl space so we always made sure that the sump pump was in good, working order.

I don't think that you'll have to worry about flooding in that area. I'd only be concerned if there were a stream or creek running through the property. You could check FEMA maps or ask the realtor.

It's a bit warmer down here than in Hunterdon so there should be plenty of moisture in the air. I certainly can't comment on the house that you're considering buying. The place where I lived in Medford had central heat/air and it was as dry as the desert in the winter.

I'm sure you found that the nearest gas station to that house is the Super WAWA on Rt. 70. There's a diner on the Rt. 206 circle--very close if you just need to get out of the house for an hour. Better yet, check out the Red Lion Inn.

Unless you are seriously considering buying that house, or buy that house, I don't need to tell you anything more than you absolutely need to know. I will answer your questions if I am able.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 AM

Yes, I was hopeful about this house being the one that could help our tight budget and also enable us to keep our few pets, etc. Was very excited to go see it today and that seemed a go mid week. Unfortunately it was also for rent. Five families were lined up desperate to get low cost housing and the family has gone with that-the ability to generate income asap. Interesting case.....disappointing too.
It's been good to get to know the area. What you shared is very helpful to me. ...And the diner and the Red Lion Inn looked like the local hangout when we were driving around last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia