Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

my daughter rear ended a car that was stopped on the road.....the woman took my daughter's info but my daughter did not take hers........lady said all was ok with her car so they both left the scene......the woman is calling and now saying that her husband looked at the bumper and a piece was damanged.......she called it into her insurance company and got an estimate to fix it........there was no police involved so no report was made......she says if we don't pay her insurance company will go after ours..............feedback please......thinking i need to call an attorney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Call your insurance company right now. Let them work it out. In MD police will not even respond to this type of accident if there are no injuries and the cars are operable.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Why would you call an attorney? You have insurance. Let them take care of it or you pay out of your own pocket. With that said, you still should call your insurance company and report the accident. Actually, your daughter need to call and give them an account of what happened.

When you give out your insurance info after an accident, always call them instead of waiting to hear from them.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
How old is your daughter? Pretty stupid of her to just give up all her personal information and not get any in return. The cops should have been called asap.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
In NJ, you always call the cops. It's silly, but that's just how it is. Nowadays, you take photos with your phone of any damage. This way the insurance companies have what they need.

In this case, your daughter is clearly at fault. Let the insurance companies handle it.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
be careful.. If you let the insurance copany pay for her damage, your daughters insurance may skyrocket for many years to come.. (unless she has accident forgiveness) and it may be better for her to pay for the damage out of pocket if it is not that much

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I would take frank's advice. If you are not looking at much money to fix the bumper, then it might be better to just handle it personally without insurance. If you are uncomfortable doing that then your only recourse is to contact your insurance company and let them handle the claim. Since your daughter rear-ended the other car while it was stopped, it's a pretty open and shut case in terms of fault. Your insurance company will pay out the claim, minus your deductible which you will have to pay. Your daughter will then have an accident on her record which will most likely increase her insurance rates for the next 3-5 years. There really isn't any need for an attorney unless you want to handle it privately and have the person making the claim against you waive any future rights to damages arising from the accident.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,496 times
Will be best to handle it via cash then Ins co.
I had the same thing happen to me, I rear ended a person, I told them to get a quote for repairs and as long as it wasnt too high I would just pay it out of pocket. I think I ended up paying $500 to $600 to get their bumper repaired , my deductable is $500 so i was going to be paying at least $500 and I avoided the ins co.

Tell them to get 2 quotes for the repairs and then go from there.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Ok. I am confused with all this "My deductible is $ X". My understanding and experience with NJ insurance is that it's a no fault state.

Here are my experiences.

1. Hit by another vehicle, other driver denied being at fault and police report isn't clear on fault.. Assigned 50/50. I filed with my insurance and they paid about $10K in repair. Meanwhile, case went to suborgation where I submitted my account of the events. I had to pay $500 in deductible for work done on my car. 3 months later, got a letter from my insurance stating that other driver was 100% fault and I got my $500 back.

2. Rear ended by another vehicle so I called my insurance. They told me that they can start the whole claim process and I pay the deductible or I can try to go after the other party insurance. I got some resistence from the other insurance but they allowed me to choose my repair shop and paid for everything (repair, car rental and no out of pocket money).

3. My wife back into another vehicle. Our insurance info was given to the other driver and they filed a claim and our insurance paid that claim. We didn't pay anything out of pocket. Our rate did go up a little the following year. This is where my understanding of no-fault applied.

In a no-fault state, your own insurance handle the claim even when you are not at fault. You can go after the other party's insurance but it may takes longer.

So I am curious with the response about having to pay for the deductible for repairs done on the other vehicle. Did this happened in NJ?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM

61 posts, read 104,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In NJ, you always call the cops. It's silly, but that's just how it is. Nowadays, you take photos with your phone of any damage. This way the insurance companies have what they need.

In this case, your daughter is clearly at fault. Let the insurance companies handle it.
This, Ive gotten screwed out of getting my car repaired when someone hit me for not calling the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia