Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM

164 posts, read 431,463 times

Advertisements

We are besieged with brazen Bunnies!
Our yard has often five,six and seven every day, just roaming and munching away at the grass. (Wish we had only weed-eating bunnies). Dozens more in neighbors yards as well, hopping about without a worry...
Unfortunately, they eat our flowers (unless we constantly spray with an expensive, horrible-smelling repellant) and burrow under our bushes and kill a lot of vegetation. I put up a fence net around the veggy garden, and that helps, but I cant net in the whole yard!
Apart from the little ones chasing them around the yard and scolding the "naughty bunnies!!", what else can we do to try to control them? We were thinking maybe a cat?
Suggestions welcome!

Last edited by Jerseykids2011; 07-03-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 PM

32 posts, read 127,028 times
i have 2 small dogs that keep them in the neighbors yard,but i still see a couple out there when the dogs are in....i dont think you can deter them buggers because they WILL get your flowers...

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 AM

32,759 posts, read 35,972,154 times
... and the herbs.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 AM

161 posts, read 343,287 times
Although this may seem counter intuitive, maybe you should try getting in touch with these guys: Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue - Home

Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
We are besieged with brazen Bunnies!
Our yard has often five,six and seven every day, just roaming and munching away at the grass. (Wish we had only weed-eating bunnies). Dozens more in neighbors yards as well, hopping about without a worry...
Unfortunately, they eat our flowers (unless we constantly spray with an expensive, horrible-smelling repellant) and burrow under our bushes and kill a lot of vegetation. I put up a fence net around the veggy garden, and that helps, but I cant net in the whole yard!
Apart from the little ones chasing them around the yard and scolding the "naughty bunnies!!", what else can we do to try to control them? We were thinking maybe a cat?
Suggestions welcome!
Rabbits & squirrels don't like marigolds. Get an assortment & put them out. Save the seeds in the fall & spread them in early spring. They'll cross & will not be identical to what you put out. The object is to eventually ring the garden areas with marigolds.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Rabbits & squirrels don't like marigolds. Get an assortment & put them out. Save the seeds in the fall & spread them in early spring. They'll cross & will not be identical to what you put out. The object is to eventually ring the garden areas with marigolds.
Thanks; so thought our neighbor-- She had them all planted all over and when grown, low-and-behold one morning, all her marigolds were also eaten !
The trick, I think, will be to just net-fence around the flower and veggy gardens. I used just about 9 inch high netting (it's fine black plastic netting, and really cant be seen from a short distance) which, so far, just makes it a bother for rabbits to get in, and who seem content to eat my "grass" in the yard if need be.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks; so thought our neighbor-- She had them all planted all over and when grown, low-and-behold one morning, all her marigolds were also eaten !
The trick, I think, will be to just net-fence around the flower and veggy gardens. I used just about 9 inch high netting (it's fine black plastic netting, and really cant be seen from a short distance) which, so far, just makes it a bother for rabbits to get in, and who seem content to eat my "grass" in the yard if need be.
Weird. . .I've used the marigold trick for over 20 years. I will say, though, the plants from the crossed marigolds work even better.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,902,040 times
What a disappointing thread. I had expected a violent crime spree perpetrated at the paws of tiny, furry Crips and Bloods.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 07-05-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Weird. . .I've used the marigold trick for over 20 years. I will say, though, the plants from the crossed marigolds work even better.
Well, I am going to give it a try for myself then. Thanks for the suggestion
p.s. do they have to be planted next to all the other flowers, or use as a border to the flower beds?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I am going to give it a try for myself then. Thanks for the suggestion
p.s. do they have to be planted next to all the other flowers, or use as a border to the flower beds?
Try to use them as a border. Collect the seeds in the fall. Keep them in a jar & next spring buy a couple of packs of seed & mix them together & sprinkle them. I started with some of the red, yellow, & orange marigolds & some of the tall marigolds. in my garden. I've seen rabbits turn around & hop away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: