Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASNP View Post
Don't live far from there and I can confirm that there are A LOT of Italians living in Hammonton.
Even more than Turnersville? I'd have thought Hammonton was mostly hispanic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
In NJ, in the past, there were probably many towns which were "more italian" than even Hammonton, but demographic changes always occur. Hammonton is just a holdover in some ways.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
LOL! I was there about 1.5 months ago looking for shed and while stopped at a convenience store I asked this middle aged man on a motorcycle if everyone in that town was italian being I saw many business billboard signs with italian last names and he said that everyone is everyones brother and sister and cousins and are married to each other. Where I came from in Northern NJ once had plenty of Italians but has changed much in 20 plus years.
The way we claim we're related is ridiculous. For example, I have cousins in Hammonton who run a business, and by cousins, I mean my mother's cousin's daughter's husband's uncle... Yup

As for the Hispanics, there's a lot of Hispanics in Vineland and Hammonton (both predominantly Italian) due to the fact that many Hispanics moved to where there were people of a similar culture.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
The way we claim we're related is ridiculous. For example, I have cousins in Hammonton who run a business, and by cousins, I mean my mother's cousin's daughter's husband's uncle... Yup

As for the Hispanics, there's a lot of Hispanics in Vineland and Hammonton (both predominantly Italian) due to the fact that many Hispanics moved to where there were people of a similar culture.
So not much in a way of the Hatfield's and McCoy's.

I wonder how that all works out for these "so related" marriages if one of them goes to divorce?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,985 times
This is surprising. I would say selected towns around NYC would have a much denser and higher Italian population. Aren't there areas in Brooklyn, Queens, or even out on Long Island that are more Italian than Hammonton? Not sure I buy this alleged "fact."

Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
This is surprising. I would say selected towns around NYC would have a much denser and higher Italian population. Aren't there areas in Brooklyn, Queens, or even out on Long Island that are more Italian than Hammonton? Not sure I buy this alleged "fact."
It not that surprising when you think about it. There are plenty of Italian Americans who call South Jersey home. Not to mention Hammonton, NJ has gotten a huge booster of Italians from South Philly who have moved there over the pass 50 years.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
...is Hammonton, NJ. They just said this on NBC 40 news. I have lived in south Jersey my entire life and never knew this!

I think it's a pretty interesting history:

"By almost every account, the unprecedented Italian influx can be attributed to one man, an Italian farmer named Salvador Calabrese who came to Hammonton in 1863 from tiny Gesso, Sicily. Calabrese wrote to two of his countrymen in Gesso, petitioning them to come start farms of their own. Within a few years most of the town of Gesso had relocated to Hammonton. Additionally, an organization called the Italian Labor Bureau was contracted at the time to supply Italian day laborers from nearby Philadelphia to harvest crops and work the fields. Slowly but surely, says Stafford, these laborers began buying land of their own and encouraging family members in Italy to join them."

My Grandfather was one of those day laborers who lived in Philly - but he remained in the city. Never saw Hammonton...I should visit someday.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Hammonton is very Italian and a lot of old school families are there. A lot of them bled down into the East Vineland area as well.

Historical side note...

During WW2 many POW camps were located in South Jersey. These camps housed Italian, German and even Japanese prisoners. The prisoners were put to work as laborers on the local farms and in the canning and processing plants do to the manpower shortage during the war. The prisoners were generally pretty happy in South Jersey where things were quiet and food was plentiful. Happiest of all though were the Italian prisoners. For many of them working on the various farms almost became a family reunion of sorts especially as most Philly/SJ Italians are from Sicily and Southern Italy, the same areas where the Allies first landed in Europe. A lot of the prisoners chose to stay after the war and settle in the area sponsored by the local families and many married into the farmers families. Still others went home only to return later.
I find this fascininating. Weren't Americans hostile to former war prisoners? I would think that, given the heavy death toll of our soldiers, the population , Italians included, would not be very friendly to their former "enemies." Interesting.

Last edited by soulsurv; 11-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I'm sure that others felt differently but, my grandmother who lived in England during the war used to take snacks to the German street laborers. They were cleaning up bombing damage. It seems that my mother was, at first, appalled. Grandmother said that they were just boys far away from home and family and that she hoped someone would do the same for one of her sons.

The immigrants were't well received anywhere. They formed their own communities and new word traditions.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Maybe those areas are like south Philly, which used to have a heavily Italian population, but many have long ago moved to the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia