Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM

421 posts, read 834,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I don't see why Sears, which has it's own problems, should buy Christmas Tree Shops from Bed Bath & Beyond. It doesn't seem to be a sensible fit.
Why not? At least Christmas Tree Shops would be a more sensible fit for Sears than Kmart was. I don't see how Sears and Kmart have any synergy at all. Christmas Tree Shops seems to me like a more "stylish" version of Sears, and is found in more urban shopping centers near malls but not in malls themselves. It seems to me like a perfect complement to Sears. I personally don't see any similarity between Bed Bath & Beyond and Christmas Tree Shops either, but those two do seem to like the same breed of shopping centers. Target would also be perfect to own Christmas Tree Shops, but if those two merged there might be a lot of overlap. The two might cannibalize each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Would a chain still get the liquor license (applicable to the Marlton Genuardi's only) when one leases an empty store over buying the lease from Safeway?
Are the empty Genuardis for sale or rent? I know that Ellisburg is a rental. Some grocery stores buy & some rent. I suspect that once a store gives up the license it goes up for bid again. If Kroger was looking & decided not to move while the stores were still occupied there was a reason, or more than one reason. Most likely, Safeway wanted too much.

Then there's the union thing. Safeway has a bad name with unions which is why they did not operate under their own name. Kroger, on the other hand, will play ball with the unions. Allowing the stores to go vacant lowers the price & would allow them to come in, cleanly, as a union shop, should they choose to go that route.

If it's Kroger going into the area, they probably wanted a clean start & no connection to Safeway. A liquor license might not have been worth it to them to get the stench of Safeway on them, however remotely.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM

I also think it might help JCPenney if they were to buy TJX, the company that owns TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods. Years ago, JCPenney also sold hardware, tools, and had auto service as did their top rivals Sears and Montgomery Ward. But now they seem to have lost focus. They ought to merge with TJX to win back younger customers.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Why not? At least Christmas Tree Shops would be a more sensible fit for Sears than Kmart was. I don't see how Sears and Kmart have any synergy at all. Christmas Tree Shops seems to me like a more "stylish" version of Sears, and is found in more urban shopping centers near malls but not in malls themselves. It seems to me like a perfect complement to Sears. I personally don't see any similarity between Bed Bath & Beyond and Christmas Tree Shops either, but those two do seem to like the same breed of shopping centers. Target would also be perfect to own Christmas Tree Shops, but if those two merged there might be a lot of overlap. The two might cannibalize each other.
Have you ever been in Bed Bath & Beyond & the Christmas Tree Shop? They certainly have similarities to me. Sears is classified as a department store & KMart is classified as a discount department store. You have yet to show any logical threads in your speculation.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I also think it might help JCPenney if they were to buy TJX, the company that owns TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods. Years ago, JCPenney also sold hardware, tools, and had auto service as did their top rivals Sears and Montgomery Ward. But now they seem to have lost focus. They ought to merge with TJX to win back younger customers.
How many years ago? I'm 61 & don't remember any of that..

Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM

When Granite Run Mall in PA opened in 1974, the JCPenney there most certainly had all the same basic features as the Sears there. But sometime in the 80's (1984?) that changed. Amazingly, neither of these two mall anchors have ever really been remodeled since they were built, but the Sears has an early 90's logo on their signs now.

Also, Sears caters to an urban demographic but Kmart caters to a more rural demographic. How do those two go together at all? If anything, Sears should have merged with either Target, JCPenney, Kohl's, Macy's, or Montgomery Ward.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,726 times
Quote:
Why not? At least Christmas Tree Shops would be a more sensible fit for Sears than Kmart was.
Remember it was Kmart that bought Sears. A weaker brand buying a stronger brand. Both are anchors to major centers. It was a poor execution to say the least, but had some things making sense.

Christmas Tree is more a specialty inline tenant for big box centers, but not full service oriented department store or discount store like Kmart or Sears in their trade.

Kmart had experience already owning Borders or Office Max, niche big boxes. Why would the management of Sears/Kmart buy another chain. They are actually looking to divest not grow in different sectors.

Yes, Christmas Tree can go to the Genuardi's site (if subdivided) but the rest of your comments aren't making sense.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
When Granite Run Mall in PA opened in 1974, the JCPenney there most certainly had all the same basic features as the Sears there. But sometime in the 80's (1984?) that changed. Amazingly, neither of these two mall anchors have ever really been remodeled since they were built, but the Sears has an early 90's logo on their signs now.

Also, Sears caters to an urban demographic but Kmart caters to a more rural demographic. How do those two go together at all? If anything, Sears should have merged with either Target, JCPenney, Kohl's, Macy's, or Montgomery Ward.
What do these stores have to do with a grocery thread?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What do these stores have to do with a grocery thread?
Considering how small a percentage of this site is dedicated to store planning discussions, don't my posts fit this thread better than 99% of the other threads on City-Data?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Considering how small a percentage of this site is dedicated to store planning discussions, don't my posts fit this thread better than 99% of the other threads on City-Data?
No, It's a grocery thread. There's another thread for empty buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia