Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,860,141 times

Advertisements

Lindenwold is not a nice area, as others have said. Weird thing about NJ is that you can have really poor towns next to really wealthy towns. Not sure the exact reason but I believe a big reason is because of the way our tax structure is set up (VA has more county-based govt so the tax base is larger and more varied).

I mentioned Voorhees town center earlier, it might be a little out of your budget, but I definitely suggest looking at other apartments in that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,397,685 times
Very nay.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,790,823 times
Every area has the same thing. Poor areas next to wealthy areas. Havertown next to upper darby. Art Museum area next to North Philly. Etc

Its like my in laws who I've heard say.. That its weird raining on one side of the street and not on the other.. Only happens in Florida.. Um rain has to stop and start somewhere.. duh lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Lindenwold is not a nice area, as others have said. Weird thing about NJ is that you can have really poor towns next to really wealthy towns. Not sure the exact reason but I believe a big reason is because of the way our tax structure is set up (VA has more county-based govt so the tax base is larger and more varied).

I mentioned Voorhees town center earlier, it might be a little out of your budget, but I definitely suggest looking at other apartments in that town.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,397,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Every area has the same thing. Poor areas next to wealthy areas. Havertown next to upper darby. Art Museum area next to North Philly. Etc

Its like my in laws who I've heard say.. That its weird raining on one side of the street and not on the other.. Only happens in Florida.. Um rain has to stop and start somewhere.. duh lol
But every area definitely doesn't have the same culture by any means! I've lived in many different places and most had a completely different feel from the others...

Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMoves View Post
What is the commute time from Westmont to Marlton? My office in Marlton is on 73. Also, travel time via car and train from Westmont to Center City? Thank you
You'd be better off looking at Westmont, Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, & Voorhees. You can commute north on Brace Road to Kings Highway or Kings Highway out of Haddonfield & take a right on Church Road to 73. Look at a map. It's closer. You can also use Springdale Road to Greentree Road if you're closer to those roads. You can use PATCO from Westmont, Haddonfield Woodcrest, or Ashland.

There are tons of apartments in Lindenwold. You don't want to be there.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-24-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 PM

516 posts, read 1,612,419 times
Quote:
I live in Fairfax right now. Nice area, however.. I am paying 1500/month for a 1bdroom plus all utilities. It is getting unbearable.
Your quality of life will be improved upon. You can purchase a condo for that price around here. Check out realty prices in Marlton, Mt. Laurel and Cherry Hill.

I give the cultural edge to NOVA because DC is superior to Philly, but the Philly area is underrated. You have access to great beaches (Ocean City,NJ, not OC maryland) and skiing. Plus, you have access to NYC and Philly. Philly has good theater, bars, restaurants and it is generally less expensive.

Good luck

Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,933,807 times
Quote:
Updating you all - I had a spur of the moment trip to NYC/North Jersey this weekend to visit my cousin, and on the way back stopped to visit another cousin of mine and her family that recently moved from Northeast Philly to.. Lindenwold/Clementon..

No.Thanks. I exited the turnpike and drove down a LONGGGGG road that felt like I was riding further and further into the country. No signs of anyone my age, no malls, no theater.. no nada. I havent really seen any of you mention this area too much, but is this what the general area is going to be like in the places that have been suggested? :/

Just looked really dingy.. for lack of a better word. She did say that she takes the train which is aroud the corner from her into Center City pretty quickly.. but still. Ugh. lol
Hey, I told ya to avoid Lindenwold in my first post in this thread -- albeit I misspelled Lindenwold. Still, that's not a place you want to be if you have a choice about it. You did learn something fun about Jersey, though. There is a very hard segregation between towns. You definitely feel the transition from one town to the next, it's pretty jarring. anyway, I am disappointed you didn't detour through Haddonfield when you were so close. Would have been nice for you to see that area.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 AM

57 posts, read 89,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Hey, I told ya to avoid Lindenwold in my first post in this thread -- albeit I misspelled Lindenwold. Still, that's not a place you want to be if you have a choice about it. You did learn something fun about Jersey, though. There is a very hard segregation between towns. You definitely feel the transition from one town to the next, it's pretty jarring. anyway, I am disappointed you didn't detour through Haddonfield when you were so close. Would have been nice for you to see that area.
I know.. I totally wanted to go thru the other places that you all mentioned to me. However, we were on the way back from NY. . got to Lindenwold at 3pm, ate dinner, and left at 6 to drive the 3 hrs back to VA. So, yes disappointing I also was not the driver lol

My cousin kept stressing the fact that the train is just up the street from her house and she gets to Center City very quickly. However, I was not a fan. So I can check that area off my list!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,258,155 times
But no one told you to ever put that area on your list in the first place :-) ...

Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM

57 posts, read 89,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But no one told you to ever put that area on your list in the first place :-) ...
I didnt have a list.. my original question was about Marlton. My cousin lives in Lindenwold, which is the only reason I ventured to that crap place. I have been reading other posts regarding areas and it seems that may Collingswood would be a good fit for me. I am planning to go next weekend and visit the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia