Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:26 PM

102 posts, read 427,723 times

Advertisements

I am a single dad with one child looking to relocate to South Jersey.. I will be working in the Glen Mills PA area and want to stay in NJ... I am looking for either a town house or single family home ... I would prefer to have a garage and a basement but have wiggle room on that.. I also prefer a home that is New construction but will go as old as 5 years old. I am looking to spend as little as possible but will go up to about 275k.. Good school systems is a must!! Could someone please advise me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:50 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Mullica Hill, Woolwich Twp, Logan Twp. Lots of new construction - not sure about the schools but the neighborhood is nice. Pretty easy commute to Glen Mills on 322

Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Mullica Hill, Woolwich Twp, Logan Twp. Lots of new construction - not sure about the schools but the neighborhood is nice. Pretty easy commute to Glen Mills on 322
JerzBoy - All good picks but my favorite is Mullica Hill

Old 10-21-2007, 05:33 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Winslow has an iffy school system. Shame because Tim Schaeffer has nice homes compared to everyone else down there. We actually put a deposit on a lot but bailed due to schools. We viewed all of the new construction in the Winslow area, Schaeffer had the best built houses from what we saw.

We looked in Mullica Hill - Orleans was beautiful but too pricey. We weren't nuts about something or another in other communities in that area. Between construction & lot size, some we chose not to walk more then a few models. If you get a list of every builder, you'll see what I mean.

We ended up seriously considering Williamstown, and after viewing every new community except Paparone's Carriage Park, settled on a house in Willow Woods. The lots are a nice size, they give decent incentives (sunrooms / basements, etc) and the floor plans are the best I've found so far. I don't know why most builders make the kitchen so far from the garage. Who wants to carry groceries in like that?

Willow Woods
Carriage Glen
New Home Guide
New Home research
American Homes Guide
NJ Home Guide
Real Estate Book - small glossy

Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 AM

11 posts, read 59,139 times
i would not recommend winslow twp. the schools there are not good at all. our neighbor who is a police officer, patrols the middle and high schools there. some of the area is nice, but the schools are pretty scary there.

mullica hill is nice and the schools are pretty decent too. we live in atlantic county but i grew up in gloucester county in washington twp.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalred View Post
i would not recommend winslow twp. the schools there are not good at all. our neighbor who is a police officer, patrols the middle and high schools there. some of the area is nice, but the schools are pretty scary there.
The reason I said iffy is because I hear the lower schools are decent but the high school got some pretty bad reviews. Since my daughter is in high school, I couldn't take a chance. Sounds like there is a lot of fighting as well as an older building.

The person that told me the lower schools were good is in the teaching feild, their own kids go to Winslow school.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 AM

102 posts, read 427,723 times
My daughter is only 2 so I dont have to be worrying about the high schools yet... I am looking at new homes and it seems like the only brand new homes in my price range are in salem... Salem seems to have so much new construction very cheap...Anyone know why? Is their new homes in Gloucester for under 300k with a good school system? I thought the housing market was real bad right now so its a good buyers market.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStealth View Post
My daughter is only 2 so I dont have to be worrying about the high schools yet... I am looking at new homes and it seems like the only brand new homes in my price range are in salem... Salem seems to have so much new construction very cheap...Anyone know why? Is their new homes in Gloucester for under 300k with a good school system? I thought the housing market was real bad right now so its a good buyers market.

The thing is, if you have to sell sooner then you thought you had to, someone else may require a good high school.

Carriage Glen has less expensive homes. I would look into these. The schools in Williamstown are good.

The reason you aren't seeing prices going down is because they are still selling. Take someone like me, to buy new in Burlington County would be at least $400k. I can go down there and get more house for that price, and so can others. While they are not reducing the price, they are giving extras / incentives. Some will take the lot price off or give you a sunroom / bigger kitchen or basement with walkout / finished.

The best prices are the already done homes, called quick delivery. Willow Woods has an Austin for quick delivery, priced at $369,000. I walked it, it's a nice house. I would go check it out and see what they can do to make it closer to your price. It's been empty for a good month, so they may make it work your while. It's on a nice street. There are a few kids (from what I've seen) your daughters age on that street.

Another option is to buy preowned. Go to realtor.com, look a little over your price range. Some of the houses I was seeing need to come down in price, and some can if what I read about what they originally paid is correct. I say if because if they paid cash for some of it, the price would be wrong. You might be able to get a 3 year old house in your price range that has extras.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,667 times
Hey Roselvr, since I am also going to move to the south jersey area...if I ever sell my house..I have looked into some places in Gloucester county. I didn't research Williamstown until recently...greatschools.net didn't give the schools the best ratings??? Is this wrong..or am I looking at the wrong school? I haven't given this area full consideration because of the schools..Was wondering what you knew about the schools....thxs!!

We have researched the Mullica Hill/Mickelton area...the schools seem to be very good. I don't know what you can get for 275,000...but we noticed we can get a lot more house than other places there. Plus it looks to be a very nice area. I know it is very safe and from what I have researched and heard a good place to raise kids.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 AM

The site I used was here. Hubby & I did comparing. We were originally looking to move to Southampton but the prices for used were the same for what we bought new at Willow Woods. Comparing Southampton schools to Williamstown, they were pretty close, Southampton was a little better from what I remember. I did the research back in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia