U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM

23 posts, read 77,206 times

Advertisements

Have lived all around South Jersey over the past 10 years, so am pretty familiar with the area. Will need to move again in the near future, and looking for suggestions on towns that are located near PATCO, which I use to commute to work. It would be me and two small pre-school children moving. Looking for someplace not just temporarily, but a long term place to raise the kids, so good schools, lots of kid's activities, low crime, etc. will be important.

Right now, the list I have come up with as places I am considering are as follows:
  1. Haddonfield
  2. Collingswood
  3. Haddon Township
  4. Cherry Hill
I think based on all the things that are most important to us, Haddonfield would be my # 1 choice, but I'd have to see how affordable it'd be for a single parent. Collingswood seems nice too, but it's proximity to Camden is a concern and have heard the schools are just so-so.

Not sure yet if I would be renting or buying. Need at least 3 bedrooms.

Would be interested to know other's thoughts and rankings of these towns for my situation. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM

14,781 posts, read 38,564,472 times
How "proximate" do you need the proximity to PATCO to be, lol?

If you want a situation where you can walk to the train, then you have pretty limited options, if you are willing to drive say 10-15 minutes to get to the train, you open up a huge amount of possibilities. After that, it's all about budget.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

155 posts, read 329,237 times
Yeah, it depends on how close you are talking about being.

I don't really think you are walking to any PATCO station in Cherry Hill.

Haddonfield, Collingswood, and Westmont could be within a short walk of a station depending on where you live and they are solid options.

I would certainly put Haddonfield at the top of the list.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM

283 posts, read 547,159 times
What is your budget? Also, what is longer term?

If you're looking to rent or buy for 6 years or so, Tatem Elementary in Collingswood may give you a good elementary school and ample nearby rentals and affordable houses to purchase. Collingswood is safe; there are a few young families on my street. The middle and high schools have a so-so reputation, but they are worlds better than most city schools and other bad suburban schools like Pennsauken High.

Haddon Township is a comparably priced alternative with a better middle and high school. The houses may carry a slight premium over Collingswood. If you never want to move again, Haddon Township may be a safer choice for the schools.

Haddonfield is an elite school district. House prices and the property tax burden reflect that.

It all depends on your budget, how long you'd like to stay, etc. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM

23,565 posts, read 29,780,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
Yeah, it depends on how close you are talking about being.

I don't really think you are walking to any PATCO station in Cherry Hill.

Haddonfield, Collingswood, and Westmont could be within a short walk of a station depending on where you live and they are solid options.

I would certainly put Haddonfield at the top of the list.
I lived in Kingsway Village in Cherry Hill for 20 years. I walked to the Haddonfield station more than once. There are also bus routes that go to the Haddonfield station. Kingsway Village is not the only area in Cherry Hill that could be walkable to the Haddonfield station. The part of Woodcrest that lies between Burnt Tree & Haddonfield-Berlin Road is also walkable to the Woodcrest station.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM

586 posts, read 1,039,893 times
I used to work in Philly myself - I live in Mt. Laurel (wonderful school system!) and used to go down 295 and get on the Woodcrest Exit for PATCO (speedline exit is directly on 295!) Plus - your traffic is 'going the other way' for your commute - very fast! Raised three children in Mt. Laurel school system....good quality development has never 'gone downhill' is Ramblewood......

Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM

586 posts, read 1,039,893 times
PS - less than 10 minutes from Route 73 onto Route 295 to exit for PATCO. I forgot to mention that.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM

1,954 posts, read 3,463,105 times
If you are considering Cherry Hill I would throw in Voorhees as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM

155 posts, read 329,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I lived in Kingsway Village in Cherry Hill for 20 years. I walked to the Haddonfield station more than once. There are also bus routes that go to the Haddonfield station. Kingsway Village is not the only area in Cherry Hill that could be walkable to the Haddonfield station. The part of Woodcrest that lies between Burnt Tree & Haddonfield-Berlin Road is also walkable to the Woodcrest station.
Fair enough. I spoke without really thinking about all the boundaries of Cherry Hill and the sprawl of it all.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,580,127 times
Haddonfield. No question..Schools are excellent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia