Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Since PANYNJ is a bi-state authority, the real drive behind them planning to take over ACY is due to an imbalance of airports between the two states. A 'law' was passed that allowed each state to select one airport outside of the agency's geographic boundaries for the Port Authority to take over and operate. After taking over Stewart International Airport in 2007, (an airport outside of the original boundaries) it left the Port Authority with 3 airports in NY (Stewart International, John F. Kennedy International, and LaGuardia) and only 2 airports on the NJ side. (Newark International and Teterboro Airport)

Many have hoped that airlines like Southwest, JetBlue, or Frontier would show up at ACY. It is worth noting that Frontier Airlines recently selected Trenton-Mercer Airport as a focus city.
Air Tran came in for about a year, but then pulled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,802,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
I think I recall hearing about some type of study or plan to connect the rail line with the airport, but I can't seem to find anything on it.
There was a proposal for a Diesel line running from Atlantic City to Somers Point similar to the RiverLine. Then theres the Proposed US 9 Bus Rapid line , which would from the Abesecon train station to Somers Point , theres also a proposed Bus Rapid line along US 40/322 from Atlantic City to Hamilton Mall area. Thats about it for the Atlantic City area. For South Jersey theres the Proposed Glassboro/Millville LRT , Pennsville LRT and Hammonton LRT , for Regional Rail theres the proposed Cape May Line , Mount Holly Branch and Inland Connector which would run from Winslow to Lakehurst , the line is currently being rebuilt for Freight but NJT has expressed interest in the line for seasonal service to Cape May and AC from Newark and New York.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 AM

756 posts, read 2,114,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would LOVE to be able to fly out of ACY since it's 15 minutes....but instead I drive to Philly because I am NOT flying Spirit, which nickels and dimes you for everything from checked luggage to carry on luggage to picking your seat, until your $200 flight is $300 or $400. When they get Southwest in there, I'll be first in line, but as long as it's just Spirit I don't think it's going to do much better than it currently is.
They do nickel and dime, but the trick is to pack lightly, fitting everything one needs in a backpack that can fit under a seat. If traveling alone, an idea is select an aisle seat (one fee). The big front seats are a lot better, but it'd make things more expensive.

Then when in Florida or the visited city, the next step would be to buy things like toothpaste, etc. down there and do laundry at the hotel. If variety of clothes is important at destination, one can then buy clothes at the stores down there, wear them, and then find a post office and get a flat rate box, and mail it with clothes (hopefully washed) back home. Or, if traveling in a family, just pay for one checked bag but use a huge suitcase.

Southwest won't come to ACY as it acquired AirTran that pulled out. US and AA won't either with the PHL hub not far. The only small chance of alternate carriers are Allegiant with service to SFB, once again Florida, and maybe United to CLE and IAD for connections. These are reasonably close hubs, unlike Delta at ATL. If Delta returned and offered service to ATL and DTW, Spirit would counter and offer much lower fares. Spirit pretty much owns ACY. However, Spirit doesn't fly to CLE so United offering Cleveland service wouldn't have to worry so much about Spirit. However, I doubt United would have offer low fares between CLE-ACY and ultimately those planes would be empty or not profitable. It'd wouldn't do wetll unless the connection fares were reasonable. That is, if United is selling ACY-CLE-MSP for example for $600, and a nonstop out of PHL is $300, people would drive to PHL. However, if connections were priced competitive to what PHL fares were, it might be sustainable.

Last edited by avg12; 04-07-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia