Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,498 times

Advertisements

Hello, first I would like to know if anybody from around this area commutes to Manhattan and how long it would be. I'm considering this area b/c it seems mid-way btwn the NYC job market and the Philadelphia job market; i've mainly just been focusing on North Jersey.

I'm a single man in my 20's and I am considering this area since there are a lot of nice-size houses for very very good prices. I really want to have my own house. I have done some research so I am a little familiar with this community. The culture and reputation of this community is not a big issue to me at all; I was raised around diversity so I can interact well with all groups. I also know that there are a lot of older homeowners in this community which I see as a good thing since I prefer a quiet area.

I've observed that crime in this area is somewhat above average compared to other suburban areas in the region but i'm willing to take the appropriate security measures.

I'm on the fence about one day having kids but if I do then I could just use the money that I save from the comparatively low housing prices and place them in a private school. What is your opinion of the public schools in this community? I couldn't help but notice that the greatschools rating of Willingboro increased a bit, which is pleasantly surprising (though I know the schools are considered sub-par in performance).

I would especially appreciate input from somebody who is a current residents or who recently was a current resident; but if you have any close experience with this community then please respond.

Thank you so much for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Willingboro school district is horrible. Don't even think about raising kids there.. Crime is not real bad but its not the safest area either. If you are looking to save $$, I would look at Palmyra before Willingboro

Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,345 times
Why would any single person in their 20's want to live in Levittown sprawl and drive far for jobs? ewww.. You can do much better than that in SJ.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM

240 posts, read 423,012 times
Not sure if you're still considering as this thread is three months old but inspite of what others have said, Willingboro is actually a nice area. My parents have lived there over 20 years and have never had a problem with anyone. Neighborhoods are pretty quiet, most of the houses are well maintained and are owned. However, I don't recommend Pennypacker, Buckingham or Millbrook sections. Pride in ownership seems to be a bit absent in these areas. The Twin Hills, Garfield and Country Club sections are beautiful. There's also a new apartment complex on Rte 130. The apartments are really nice. There is a golf course that is really nice and is heavily used by golfers from other towns. The school system has been subpar for years but I hear it's slowly improving. However, if I had kids I wouldn't send them their now. I have a friend that lives there and she enrolled her son in a private school. This is also a predominately black area which is why it gets a bad rep. There were problems with unlawful people from other towns at one point but the township and local police have since rectified that problem. No town is perfect but Willingboro is not a bad town.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Forget crime and the schools,as a single man you will be bored to tears!
Seriously,its that painful.

The other is the commute. Good grief!
I suggest you wait for the Nj turnpike extension to open up. It was schduled for 2014,I don't think its ready.
The commute will make you cry.
Need to be at work 9am?
The latest you can leave your home is 6:15am. Not fun.

I disagree with the advice above.
You will find cheap homes in Buckinghan,Pennypacker,and Milbrook.
The homes are more expensive in the other parks. Besides,why pay for an expensive home in Willingboro when you could have moved to a nicer burb,like Burlington Township?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
Too many wannabe bloods and crips out there.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
Not sure if you're still considering as this thread is three months old but inspite of what others have said, Willingboro is actually a nice area. My parents have lived there over 20 years and have never had a problem with anyone. Neighborhoods are pretty quiet, most of the houses are well maintained and are owned. However, I don't recommend Pennypacker, Buckingham or Millbrook sections. Pride in ownership seems to be a bit absent in these areas. The Twin Hills, Garfield and Country Club sections are beautiful. There's also a new apartment complex on Rte 130. The apartments are really nice. There is a golf course that is really nice and is heavily used by golfers from other towns. The school system has been subpar for years but I hear it's slowly improving. However, if I had kids I wouldn't send them their now. I have a friend that lives there and she enrolled her son in a private school. This is also a predominately black area which is why it gets a bad rep. There were problems with unlawful people from other towns at one point but the township and local police have since rectified that problem. No town is perfect but Willingboro is not a bad town.
My inlaws have been there over 45 years and while I wouldn't recommend anyone move there, I've never felt unsafe - granted I don't walk around, not because I'm afraid, but we're there visiting at the house. There have been a few incidences on their block in the 25 yrs I've known them (they live in one the "bad" letter sections, lol), but nothing involving them personally.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Any money that would be saved from cheaper housing would be eaten up by the extremely long commute, JMO.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
There is a reason houses are so affordable there and many people are tempted the same way you are because Levitt was building beautiful houses in that era. At the same time I never saw so many ugly remodel jobs anywhere. Along with everything else, people there have the worst taste. I would look for a lesser house in a better community. Willingboro is low class and as more of the old timers die off it will only get worse. There is a good chance you may walk away from the house you buy there, as many apparently have already.

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-26-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
These are the only parts of Willingboro I would recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia