Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,869 times

Advertisements

Yes, people have been doing that for years bouncing from store to store, but now they have MORE choices, Kroger is in the position to buy A&p, but you have to realize, the cost factor, the labor factor,the non - brand , the reputation factor, Kroger , just bought Harris teeters , they seem to laid low after each purchase , will they jump in or let someone else buy, and see what comes down the road, they had the chance before, the question is WHY didnt they buy before ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle Paige View Post
Yes, people have been doing that for years bouncing from store to store, but now they have MORE choices, Kroger is in the position to buy A&p, but you have to realize, the cost factor, the labor factor,the non - brand , the reputation factor, Kroger , just bought Harris teeters , they seem to laid low after each purchase , will they jump in or let someone else buy, and see what comes down the road, they had the chance before, the question is WHY didnt they buy before ?
Harris Teeter is in the black. The family got spooked by inroads from Ingles & Publix. It will operate as a separate division. It will be expanded. A&P has failed repeatedly. Kroger can get it cheaper now than earlier.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 PM

I see it as Krogers knows A&P , has way to many problems,money cannot fix, but I think shop-rite, could move right in without worry, right now shop-rite is on fire, they have the Brand name, great produce, good meat sells, customer service, runs the store at store level, not middle management , I think if Pathmark gets to the point were they are selling off stores the right location s, Shop-rite will be the one who will buy them , CAN-CAN , run supermarkets right. Right now , I would not put a dime on Krogers.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I see it as Krogers knows A&P , has way to many problems,money cannot fix, but I think shop-rite, could move right in without worry, right now shop-rite is on fire, they have the Brand name, great produce, good meat sells, customer service, runs the store at store level, not middle management , I think if Pathmark gets to the point were they are selling off stores the right location s, Shop-rite will be the one who will buy them , CAN-CAN , run supermarkets right. Right now , I would not put a dime on Krogers.
Think what you want.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ShopRites are not company owned. Why start now? All changes & renovations won't happen immediately. It will be a 5 or 10 year plan.
Wakefern has bought stores in the past, and then sold them to the local co-ops. That's what happened in So. NJ as Wakefern bought the Stop&Shop stores from Ahold, and then the stores were sold to the Ravitz, Eickhoff and Zallies families.

I think Wakefern also bought out a number of Baltimore area Superfresh stores after So. NJ/Ahold store acquisition, but I'm not certain on how that deal went through.

A number of ShopRites are Wakefern owned also, which is the closest to being company owned, but none in the Camden-Burlington-Gloucester area, where those three families likely have complete territorial claim.

Last edited by avg12; 07-30-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM

I see the stop & shop as the real contenders, and MAYBE Krogers in Delaware , and New York, , I don't know if Kroger are willing to try, Philly store tuff market all around,

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM

161 posts, read 344,596 times
Just throwing this out there..... I don't think this will have any relation to any Pathmark stores, (unless any closed stores remain empty for 2+ years) but European supermarket chain Lidl is speculated to make a debut on the East coast by 2015. Lidl is the largest grocer by sales in all of Europe, and they are expected to copy Aldi's path in establshing themselves in the US market. I believe we had discussed Aldi VS Lidl in a previous thread.

Discounter Lidl Seen Making Debut on East Coast by Early 2015 | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News

Quote:

"Queck said that the Lidl study is expected to be complete by the end of 2014 and that the company could open as many as 100 stores in 2015 as part of a $650 million expansion. He said Lidl would likely begin on the East Coast where its limited-assortment discount model has already proven successful by its Germany-based rival Aldi, which has operated in the U.S. since 1976.

“Rather than open in a new area with a new concept, Lidl may feel safer elsewhere, even if it’s not alone,” he said. “It would allow it to copy the assortment of its rivals rather than taking the risky and complex route of finding the right product for such a diverse market.”

Queck said Lidl has previously been successful growing through what he called a “copycat” strategy in European markets. In the U.S., the retailer would take a similar path to Aldi, locating first in strip shopping centers near larger retailers, before pursuing stand-alone boxes and stores offering additional brands and services. He said its U.S. strategy would be “Aldi-plus and see what happens.”"

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Just throwing this out there..... I don't think this will have any relation to any Pathmark stores, (unless any closed stores remain empty for 2+ years) but European supermarket chain Lidl is speculated to make a debut on the East coast by 2015. Lidl is the largest grocer by sales in all of Europe, and they are expected to copy Aldi's path in establshing themselves in the US market. I believe we had discussed Aldi VS Lidl in a previous thread.

Discounter Lidl Seen Making Debut on East Coast by Early 2015 | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News

Quote:

"Queck said that the Lidl study is expected to be complete by the end of 2014 and that the company could open as many as 100 stores in 2015 as part of a $650 million expansion. He said Lidl would likely begin on the East Coast where its limited-assortment discount model has already proven successful by its Germany-based rival Aldi, which has operated in the U.S. since 1976.

“Rather than open in a new area with a new concept, Lidl may feel safer elsewhere, even if it’s not alone,” he said. “It would allow it to copy the assortment of its rivals rather than taking the risky and complex route of finding the right product for such a diverse market.”

Queck said Lidl has previously been successful growing through what he called a “copycat” strategy in European markets. In the U.S., the retailer would take a similar path to Aldi, locating first in strip shopping centers near larger retailers, before pursuing stand-alone boxes and stores offering additional brands and services. He said its U.S. strategy would be “Aldi-plus and see what happens.”"
I've been in Lidl. Like Aldi, the stores are smaller than US supermarkets.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I see the stop & shop as the real contenders, and MAYBE Krogers in Delaware , and New York, , I don't know if Kroger are willing to try, Philly store tuff market all around,
Why? Stop & Shop already failed in South Jersey.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Supermarkets are a shell game , kid, follow the money, they all hide under a bigger company, stop&shop, Ahold, a&p , pathmark, how long have they been sleeping in the same bed ?, there are many ways to get out of union paid employees, 60 days, your out, chain in with same old faces, what is old is new again, just keep an eye open, read a little back round, and remember, Ron Burkles clock got cleaned on the A&P deal,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia