Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM

421 posts, read 830,477 times

Advertisements

I get the feeling that if Walmart bulldozes Tri-Towne to build a Supercenter, Home Depot will open at the current Walmart site. And Lowe's perhaps will open at the ex-Clover/Oskar Huber in Cherry Hill to steal customers from the company they like to call Agent Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,055,179 times
If Walmart moves in, we're probably looking at a Super Walmart -- with groceries, etc. That will question the presence of another supermarket being in the area.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,111,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I get the feeling that if Walmart bulldozes Tri-Towne to build a Supercenter, Home Depot will open at the current Walmart site. And Lowe's perhaps will open at the ex-Clover/Oskar Huber in Cherry Hill to steal customers from the company they like to call Agent Orange.
Tri-Towne probably won't be fully bulldozed, as Kobe Grill just recently moved in there.

Tri-Towne ownership should probably get a Walgreens (second Walgreens in Evesham to compete better against the 2 CVS stores in the town) or Wawa (relocation from the plaza at N Maple across the street) in the spot where Sears/Kmart was located assuming just that was bulldozed. The Superfresh could become a full service gym. Evesham lacks one, yet it's a pretty wealthy town that could support a $40+/mo membership gym with swimming pool. The rest of the plaza would fill up with a facade redesign.

I don't see Lowes opening up a store in between the Maple Shade and Voorhees store. Maybe Home Depot but either of the two would have to be consider something like a 50,000-80,000 sq.foot store, over a 100,000+ sq. foot store somewhat close to existing stores.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:14 PM

512 posts, read 1,013,727 times
Wait... most of this has nothing to do with Cherry Hill. maybe should be renamed Ch, Marlton, Mt Laurel area or something>

Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Wait... most of this has nothing to do with Cherry Hill. maybe should be renamed Ch, Marlton, Mt Laurel area or something>
That's why it was titled Cherry Hill area.

Here is the latest on Moorestown Mall's restaurant plan:
High-end plans for the Moorestown Mall

Restaurants:
1. Osteria
2. Distrito cantina
3. Firebirds

All will front Route 38 and decorate the otherwise boring Sears parking lot. I suppose the 4th liquor license can permit another restaurant down the road.

"Asked whether he was contemplating a clothing chain such as Talbots, he said, "No, no, no, no. Talbots is great store; we have them at several of our malls."

That seems bogus. The mall is still struggling inside, so I see no reason to downplay chains like Talbots. It's not like Sears is high appeal. The truth is Talbots already has an off mall location in Mt. Laurel, like other chains either in Mt.Laurel or Marlton. The restaurants and movie theater will make Moorestown Mall a lot like Plymouth Meeting Mall, which has restaurants+movie but still struggles in occupancy in the enclosed section of the mall with national tenants.

Another interesting point:

"Citing the mall's down-at-the-heels state, PREIT is negotiating with Moorestown Township to reduce the mall's $111 million assessment and $2.6 million annual property-tax bill."

I don't see why Moorestown should reduce the assessment just because PREIT failing to attract tenants in the mall at the rent rates that it wants.

Last edited by avg12; 08-13-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 AM

161 posts, read 343,480 times
Well that was fast! It looks like the old Pier 1 site in Cherry Hill was purchased by ICRE last month. They plan on converting it into a 3 unit retail center anchored by Turning Point Cafe. The plan is already listed on the upcoming CH planning board agenda.

Rendering of renovated site is in the press release: http://www.ic-re.com/news/index.asp?news_id=10093

Last edited by CH101; 08-17-2013 at 01:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 AM

The Ritz theater in Voorhees has been sold to Carmike:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...=2013308160018

This theater now has been through many hands.

History
-Originally a Ritz
-Ritz Voorhees sold to National Amusements while the Ritz in Philly were sold to Landmark Theatres, so the Voorhees theater forks off in it's own path.
-National Amusements decides to close the Atco theater in favor of Voorhees.
(I've heard the Atco building has been demolished)
-National Amusements sells the open Voorhees theater and other theaters to Rave
-Cinemark buys out all of Rave
-Because of DOJ, Cinemark has to divest this theater.

More ownership history here:
Ritz Center 16 in Voorhees, NJ - Cinema Treasures

Did the second AMC screen in Deptford likely close because of this too? I wonder why two AMCs can be adjacent to each other in a city (like Chicago), but the rules are different for suburbs.

While foreign films focus and no kids limitation is long gone, I hope Carmike doesn't downmarket the theater to make it look and feel like the Loews in Cherry Hill. Carmike's nearest other screens are in Allentown, PA and Dover, DE.

Is it possible to get discount passes (from somewhere like AAA) for Carmike or Cinemark, like it is for Regal and AMC?

Last edited by avg12; 08-17-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
The Ritz theater in Voorhees has been sold to Carmike:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...=2013308160018

This theater now has been through many hands.

History
-Originally a Ritz
-Ritz Voorhees sold to National Amusements while the Ritz in Philly were sold to Landmark Theatres, so the Voorhees theater forks off in it's own path.
-National Amusements decides to close the Atco theater in favor of Voorhees.
(I've heard the Atco building has been demolished)
-National Amusements sells the open Voorhees theater and other theaters to Rave
-Cinemark buys out all of Rave
-Because of DOJ, Cinemark has to divest this theater.

More ownership history here:
Ritz Center 16 in Voorhees, NJ - Cinema Treasures

Did the second AMC screen in Deptford likely close because of this too? I wonder why two AMCs can be adjacent to each other in a city (like Chicago), but the rules are different for suburbs.

While foreign films focus and no kids limitation is long gone, I hope Carmike doesn't downmarket the theater to make it look and feel like the Loews in Cherry Hill. Carmike's nearest other screens are in Allentown, PA and Dover, DE.

Is it possible to get discount passes (from somewhere like AAA) for Carmike or Cinemark, like it is for Regal and AMC?
http://www.carmike.com/

Some of the Carmike theaters are dollar theaters.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:36 PM

161 posts, read 343,480 times
I have been to the Carmike in Dover Mall. It was a decent theater, nothing too fancy. Besides regular Matinee and Evening pricing, they had something else called "Twilight Super Bargain Matinee" pricing from 4:00-5:30pm where tickets were further discounted. I'm not sure if it was just a limited time promotional offer, (as I see it mentioned somewhere that it is) but looking at online ticketing it appears they adopted a similar pricing scheme at Ritz 16.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 55,805 times
Default Thriftway Did Move

Thriftway relocated to old SuperFresh site in Westmont on 8/21. Pros: Brighter, larger space, wider choice of products on shelves. Cons: Seems to be staffed with same small # of employees, prices seem to have increased to accommodate the new higher-rent location. They are attempting to attract shoppers with more organic produce, but the stuff is sorry-looking--Thriftway at the old spot was never known as being a good place to shop for produce.

There is also a new ShopRite at the old Lawnside Pathmark location. Very nice store with good prices!! A definite improvement there.

Anyone else heard about Bottom Dollar moving in to old Thriftway spot on Crystal Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia