Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM

478 posts, read 700,606 times

Advertisements

Oh.....and I'd see a doctor about that cough....New Jersey pollution can lead to serious lung diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Wildwood ? I spent 64 years in New Jersey and had no use for Wildwood.....generally I found those i encountered there to be low class New York City, North Jersey and South Philly "Jersey Shore" type morons with "attitudes" looking for drama. Comparing Wildwood as a "free" beach to any beach in Florida is just plain laughable.....and to my knowledge I've never heard of any Florida beaches having to be closed due to raw sewage and hospital waste washing up on the beaches ? Regarding schools I think you'll find that Florida high school graduates compete and gain entrance into the same colleges that NJ graduates do so your "whole lot better" argument holds no water.....I think what you mean is a whole lot more expensive ?

Funny I have no use for Florida beaches either. Filled with foreigners who don't speak English and drug dealers are every where.

You are really clueless..

Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
..and to my knowledge I've never heard of any Florida beaches having to be closed due to raw sewage and hospital waste washing up on the beaches ?y more expensive ?

I guess your 'knowledge' ain't that sharp then is it?

More Beaches Closed Due to Pollution - ABC News

and..

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...us-2009-7?op=1

Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 AM

397 posts, read 813,562 times
I loved Wildwood. But not the beach. It is a mile walk from the boardwalk. And if you don't wear sandals, the skin will peel off your feet.

As far as drug dealers and foreigners, perhaps dealers are somewhere. More on the east coast if at all.
What's wrong with foreigners ??? They are tourists or people from New York who you can't understand their accent.

If you are comparing beaches, you have not been to the Gulf coast beaches. They are beautiful. Especially, Siesta Key ( the sand is cool to the touch in the middle of the day) Also, voted best beach in the USA last year or the year before. Also, the texture is like baby powder. ( pretty cool) It doesn't feel like sand at all.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM

397 posts, read 813,562 times
Quote:
I used to live in Hainesport and my taxes were a little over $4000 and yes that's fairly cheap for New Jersey. But, now I live in Ocala, Florida in a 2000 sq ft three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath two car garage home with a large pool and screened lanai in the nicest nection of town and my taxes are under $2000. I get all the same services as I did in New Jersey, live in a much nicer, larger home and yet my taxes are less than half.....oh....and I have 600 miles of pristine beaches to enjoy with no sewage or hospital waste problems....and they are FREE to use. We have more municipalities and we have police, fire, schools etc just like Jersey but no outrageous taxes and no one in New Jersey seems to be able to explain why taxes and fees are the worst there ? Oh....and one final thought....if you live in New Jersey and wish to retire elsewhere and the state finds out they charge you an "exit tax" at the settlement table when you sell your home !!!
If you are paying $2K in prop. tax, you must not have "homesteaded". That seems high for Fla.

Also.......I paid no "exit Tax" when I sold 2 years ago.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 AM

To respond.....yes l pay 2k in taxes which may seem high for Florida but the house is well above "average" which might explain that ? Regarding the "exit tax" all l can say is that l was warned and it only applies to those who actually provide an out of state forwarding address at the settlement table. The only verification l can provide on this is my own experience and the host of supporting information if you google NJ Exit Tax ? Concerning comparison of NJ beaches and Florida beaches and taxes there obviously is no comparison....some people just find it very hard to admit the obvious when they are stuck in an undesirable location and would really rather be someplace else and all they can do is make where they are stuck sound better than it really is so they go to extremes like suggesting the beaches at Wildwood are superior to Siesta Key.....it's laughable. As far as sharing beaches with "foreigners" I seem to remember Jersey shore resorts being flooded with Canadians every summer ? Either Canadians are acceptable foreigners or we are racist toward specific foreigners ? Last but not least I'm thinking that when we Americans travel to European beaches, carribean and Mexican beaches I wonder if we are looked upon with such obvious racist views or we are accepted as equals ?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,258 times
Florida Schools are terrible. That is probably part of the reason why the property taxes are so high. I guess if you are retiring you dont care about public schools and are just looking to live the remainder of your life in style. This is why as people age they grow more conservative. They just don't care about the future of society and they get really nostalgic for the good old days.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Dont care ? That would not be accurate....actually l come from a family of teachers both from New Jersey and Florida so I'm probably more in tune with education than most. Again, I would remind you that Florida high school graduates compete and gain entrance to all the same colleges that NJ students do and because you spend more money doesn't mean you have a superior product ? While I'm sure many who "age" might fit the conservative category I'm afraid you missed that target with me and l label myself a liberal and voted for Obama twice and Clinton twice.....not that that makes me a Democrat as l voted for Reagan twice. Regarding the "good old days"......sure everyone has memories but that doesn't mean you live in the past....it means you remember it fondly but enjoy the "now" too. Concerning the "future of society".....I guess to prove to you that one cares they need to throw endless amounts of money at a broken system without question expecting different results ? Under your logic since NJ pays the absolute highest property taxes of all 50 states they should be number one in education but thats clearly not the case so that logic doesnt hold water. Perhaps now that Obama has repealed the colossal Bush blunder of "no child left behind" we might see improvement in education but that will take time, but, in the meantime you feel free to go on ahead and shovel endless amounts of money into a broken school system to prove you care and ill question the logic of that and appear not to care ?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
I used to live in Hainesport and my taxes were a little over $4000 and yes that's fairly cheap for New Jersey. But, now I live in Ocala, Florida in a 2000 sq ft three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath two car garage home with a large pool and screened lanai in the nicest nection of town and my taxes are under $2000. I get all the same services as I did in New Jersey, live in a much nicer, larger home and yet my taxes are less than half.....oh....and I have 600 miles of pristine beaches to enjoy with no sewage or hospital waste problems....and they are FREE to use. We have more municipalities and we have police, fire, schools etc just like Jersey but no outrageous taxes and no one in New Jersey seems to be able to explain why taxes and fees are the worst there ? Oh....and one final thought....if you live in New Jersey and wish to retire elsewhere and the state finds out they charge you an "exit tax" at the settlement table when you sell your home !!!
The OP is from NYC, I'm sure he has an understanding of what NJ taxes are like, and what NJ weather is like, etc.. this is where they want to retire. They didn't ask if they should retire to NJ or Florida, they already made that choice.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Ill post this again for the clueless gentleman.. He must have missed it the first time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman
..and to my knowledge I've never heard of any Florida beaches having to be closed due to raw sewage and hospital waste washing up on the beaches ?y more expensive ?

I guess your 'knowledge' ain't that sharp then is it?

More Beaches Closed Due to Pollution - ABC News

and..

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...us-2009-7?op=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia