U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 19,897 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. But I can't find information elsewhere now.

I'm considering doing carpool because currently I take Patco to commute to work. It takes me 70 minutes each way (20minutes driving to train station+20 minutes patco+10 subway train+time spent in connection). It's becoming unbearable. I think driving may be better (according to google map estimates, around 40 minutes). If anyone knows information about this type of carpool, I appreciate very much.
Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM

4,106 posts, read 7,208,762 times
Driving may not be that much better because getting from B Franklin bridge to Univerity City is not an easy task during traffic hours. I commute from Mt. Laurel to Old City and it is not a bad commute even during traffic hours. On the few occasion when I have to get to Penn area in the morning. It was a nightmare. Avoiding 676 helps but not not much better.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Thank you for reply.
Really? On google map it's about 40 minutes driving, but I know this could not be true. Now I changed the patco train station from woodcrest to ashland, which saves me about 5-8 minutes each way. Still the commute is such a pain...

Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 AM

14,724 posts, read 31,705,351 times
I don't know of any car pools that do this. Probably the best way to find out is asking around at your office and seeing if anyone is in the same situation.

As far as driving goes, the key is to not take Ben Franklin. You can go like you are going to Ben, but then continue on 130 South through Collingswood to pick up the entrance for Walt Whitman. Once you cross Walt stay on 76 West and then exit at the sign for University Avenue. I used to work at 50th and Baltimore and that is how I went to work everyday. From Collingswood it took me about 30 minutes, with 10 of that being the slog down Baltimore.

If 76 is FUBAR, after you cross Walt get on Delaware Ave./Columbus Blvd. and then hop on Washington Ave. Take Washington down to Grey's Ferry Ave. which then runs into University.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM

19 posts, read 25,894 times
Where in Cherry Hill? Would the Atlantic City Line, which has a stop in Cherry Hill be good for this? Not sure where you're going in University City, but it stops at 30th Street Station.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 PM

8,205 posts, read 8,933,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreengrass View Post
Where in Cherry Hill? Would the Atlantic City Line, which has a stop in Cherry Hill be good for this? Not sure where you're going in University City, but it stops at 30th Street Station.
The Atlantic City Line would seem like the best option in this scenario. A one seat ride from Cherry Hill to University City. It will get you there quicker than the Patco.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.
I looked at the Atlantic city line, it will be about 17 min for me to drive to the station, and 30 min ride to 30th street, and then 6 blocks to walk. That would be near an hour, a bit shorter than what I take now. But the biggest problem is that the atlantic line is not as frequent. There is only one train I can take to get to work in time, and if I miss that I would have to wait for more than an hour for the next one...

Anyway, thank you for your reply. Maybe I just need to accept this reality, that is, no matter how you try, you still end up spending 2 hours (or more) on commute. Before I moved here, I stayed in Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I had never heard anyone spend so much time on commute. I used to walk 10 minutes to get to work. Now I miss the life in small cities. It's so hard for me to love Philly with the traffic! Sorry, I just want to vent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The Atlantic City Line would seem like the best option in this scenario. A one seat ride from Cherry Hill to University City. It will get you there quicker than the Patco.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:36 AM

155 posts, read 267,343 times
Are you taking into account what you would pay to park in University City?

I do this exact commute, and have been doing it for about 6 years, and I absolutely abhor it.
Haven't really found a good alternative.

The Atlantic City line would be great as it takes the subway out of play, but the frequency shoots that in the foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia